PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.10 Example Content Seems Lacking...

chessnerd
October 10th, 2010, 11:43 PM
While some of us simply install/upgrade from release to release, I generally like to test out the latest version via Live CD (Live USB more recently) and one of the ways I've done that in the past is using the example content. In previous versions, this included OpenOffice files (informational documents about Ubuntu, a sample spreadsheet, a slide-show, etc.), a couple pictures, and an audio file of one of Aesop's fables. Nothing spectacular, but still, it let me test many commonly used applications.

The actual idea of the examples is that they allow people to try out Ubuntu. They can be used in demos and to let people see what can be done using applications like OpenOffice. I've always thought that that was a good idea, so I was surprised to find that in 10.10 Canonial has cut out much of the example content. Now there are just two files. An advertisement about Ubuntu's fast boot time and a song by Josh Woodward.

The Ubuntu ad is great, and that is one of my favorite Josh Woodward songs (He's the best Creative-Commons artist I know of. If you've never heard of him, look him up.) It isn't the quality of the example content I'm questioning. It's the quantity.

Where are some pictures? Where are some documents? What happened to the example content?

NCLI
October 11th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Lack of space on the cd.

/thread

chessnerd
October 11th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Lack of space on the cd.

/thread

Lack of space for a .odt file? Those things are just a few kilobytes (unless you load them with images). The video and audio they included added up to nearly 5 megabytes. If they have free space for that, they can make some space for a couple of formatted documents and a picture. Having only two files just doesn't serve the purpose of the example content.

NCLI
October 11th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Lack of space for a .odt file? Those things are just a few kilobytes (unless you load them with images). The video and audio they included added up to nearly 5 megabytes. If they have free space for that, they can make some space for a couple of formatted documents and a picture. Having only two files just doesn't serve the purpose of the example content.
The purpose of Example content is "an opportunity to show off high quality free culture content in Ubuntu." (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFreeCultureShowcase)

A short movie and a song produced with Ubuntu serve this purpose better than text files and audiobooks.

Besides, both were heavily compressed, and the 5 MB size you report is after they've been extracted from the Live CD.

joshw
October 11th, 2010, 03:05 AM
The Ubuntu ad is great, and that is one of my favorite Josh Woodward songs (He's the best Creative-Commons artist I know of. If you've never heard of him, look him up.)

Thanks a million :)