PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit

lsuengineer
October 10th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Hello,
I recently bought a new computer with Windows 7 64-bit installed. I would like to format the drive and install Ubuntu 64-bit - no dual boot. Normally the installer gave me the option to format and install Ubuntu, however, the only screen I get after "Preparing to install Ubuntu" looks like the attached screenshot. As you can see it is completely blank. I shouldent have to use something like GParted if I don't want to dual boot. What is the problem?

Thanks

GatoViejo
October 10th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Are there any other devices in the boot loader menu? (besides /dev/sdf)
If so, what happens when you pick one?

nlsthzn
October 10th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Which version of Ubuntu are you trying to install?

lsuengineer
October 10th, 2010, 09:39 PM
There are no other options and it gives me the error "No root file system is defined" after selecting Install Now. This is release 10.10 64-bit Desktop. At first I thought it didn't support my hard drive, but my windows partition can be mounted in the live cd, so it recognises the other partitions.

GatoViejo
October 10th, 2010, 09:55 PM
"No root file system is defined"

means that you did not (or had no opportunity to) tell it what partition to use for root (/). If the disk is full of a windows install, then it has no free space to work with. If you are serious about removing windows forever (as I would be) then launch gparted and delete all existing partitions. Then the installer should have something to use.

lsuengineer
October 10th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Ok, I deleted all of the partitions in GParted and restarted. I got the same error. Should I create a new partition (ext4) on the unallocated space? Will that give it a root?

konungursvia
October 10th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Ok, I deleted all of the partitions in GParted and restarted. I got the same error. Should I create a new partition (ext4) on the unallocated space? Will that give it a root?

Yes but you need an additional step. Choose "Edit partition" for the whole partition and set the mount point to /

That, in addition to choosing ext4 or whatever fs you prefer.

Then proceed.

lsuengineer
October 10th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I do not see the option to set the mount point. I set the partition as primary. Why does the installation not give the the option to "erase and use entire disk"?

nlsthzn
October 10th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I do not see the option to set the mount point. I set the partition as primary. Why does the installation not give the the option to "erase and use entire disk"?

Thats the problem with the new installer in 10.10... I have no idea how it looks, what it is supposed to do (gotten used to the standard installation process over the last couple of years) :(

konungursvia
October 10th, 2010, 10:57 PM
You should be able to format the partition using Gparted, then when you install from the Ubuntu disk you can select the partition, right click it and choose "edit partition" which will have a mount point drop down menu. It has in all other iterations of ubuntu.

lsuengineer
October 10th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Please see the attached image. There is no place to set the mount point. I selected "boot" under flags, but I still get the same blank install screen. I tried an old 9.10 disk and got the same problem.

nlsthzn
October 11th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Please see the attached image. There is no place to set the mount point. I selected "boot" under flags, but I still get the same blank install screen. I tried an old 9.10 disk and got the same problem.

As far as I can recall you don't specify the mount points in GParted, only create the partitions you want and after this step in the installation you are supposed to select the partitions you want to install too and then select them to be mounted as /, /home and swap etc. (Will be installing 10.10 in a virtual machine when I get home because there are way to many people struggling with installation IMO and I can't figure it out).

allxk
October 13th, 2010, 07:25 AM
This is a bug!
Please see attached image:
The disk partitioned with gparted.
Ubuntu 10.10 x64 Installation window will not show any partitions, and edit partition option.
Same thing with Ubuntu 10.10 x32.
Will somebody report it to developers?

nlsthzn
October 13th, 2010, 09:10 AM
This is a bug!
Please see attached image:
The disk partitioned with gparted.
Ubuntu 10.10 x64 Installation window will not show any partitions, and edit partition option.
Same thing with Ubuntu 10.10 x32.
Will somebody report it to developers?

Well, I am very skeptical to just call any problem I am having a bug without many others experiencing the same problems as I am... however, if you feel certain you can check out THIS THREAD (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1011078) and report it as a bug... Not only might you get your problem solved you may solve the problem for others...

(As a final thought on your problem, have you tried installing 10.04 and seeing if the same thing happens? If it does there may be another underlying cause perhaps...)