PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Mounting Windows shares

theanalyst
October 9th, 2010, 02:39 PM
My computer is connected to the college lan where almost all machines are some variant of Windows OS. If i use Places > Network, while windows network is displayed, mostly it returns unable to mount shares, my workaround for this problem is I use some tool like nbtscan to see which hosts are up and then use network > Connect to Server > windows share and type in the ip address, this mounts the windows share even though Places> network doesn't display such hosts.
My question is there some command line way where I can invoke nautilus to mount the windows share, ie the same job connect to server > windows share does? And is there some application like say lan surfer for windows which lists all the folders shared by a windows client. This problem has been keeping most people from installing some linux variant in college for some time now, any solution would be of help

d1brian
October 9th, 2010, 04:52 PM
try this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280473)

theanalyst
October 12th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Well

smbclient -L 192.168.1.2 -U%doesn't seem to work for me, this is what i got after smbclient -L <ipaddr> -U%

Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
session request to 192.168.x.xfailed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available

So is there a workaround for this??

Also if I use connect to server windows share of the same ip i am able to view the contents.

d1brian
October 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Well

smbclient -L 192.168.1.2 -U%doesn't seem to work for me, this is what i got after smbclient -L <ipaddr> -U%

Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
session request to 192.168.x.xfailed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available

So is there a workaround for this??

Also if I use connect to server windows share of the same ip i am able to view the contents.

I was able to view the shares from a Windows machine using the following syntax:

smbclient -L <ipaddr>