PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu User magazine: Dell Stops Shipping Ubuntu Pre-Installed PCs Online

Robert.Thompson
October 7th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Ubuntu user issue # 6

Open quote

Dell announced that they would no longer feature Ubuntu-installed PCs in the UK online store. Instead, the option to have the open source operating system installed before purchase is only available when ordering over the phone.

"Dell has offered select consumer systems with Ubuntu pre-installed for more than two years, and is continuing to do so," Dell said in a statement.

Dell's reasoning: Ubuntu was too complex for casual PC users. As a result, Dell is scaling back sales options and retooling their online purchase platform to make it easier to acquire a Windows PC. This news comes only a month after Dell commended Ubuntu to its users for its security and stability.

End quote

Unfortunately, and as much as I wish it wasn't the case, I think that their reasoning is correct.:(

alket
October 7th, 2010, 02:42 PM
This rumour was months ago.

http://dell.com/ubuntu

Dustin2128
October 7th, 2010, 10:13 PM
As a result, Dell is scaling back sales options and retooling their online purchase platform to make it easier to acquire a Windows PC.
Because windows computers are so hard to get these days. :roll:

Dell's reasoning: Ubuntu was too complex for casual PC users.
I'd argue any day of the week that windows is more complex and difficult to use for causal users than ubuntu, and I'd win. This is not the reason they're stopping.

pctek
October 7th, 2010, 10:30 PM
The real reason is more like - Microjunk gave Dell a deeper discount not to install Ubuntu.

kaldor
October 7th, 2010, 11:44 PM
The real reason is more like - Microjunk gave Dell a deeper discount not to install Ubuntu.

Right.

corcomp84
October 7th, 2010, 11:58 PM
what a load of bull,,, Ill tell you what I work for a company that uses windows xp and I have cleaned them at least once a week. Why would someone want to use something that is so unreliable.. my house only has ubuntu systems, I can do anything I want to and more, safer and faster than windows... someday Microsoft will crash and fail and our economy will fall with it even worse than it already is, because we rely to much on one corporation. Microsoft can build their own grave.. LINUX IS THE FUTURE!!

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
October 8th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Wrong

The reason is that noone with any sense is going to pay MORE to purchase the same hardware with a FREE OS. Windows PCs are cheaper, b/c Dell (or any OEM) gets a kickback for all of the crapware that's installed, b/c people are likely to just go ahead and buy a license for a product that's already installed. Villainize MS all you want... it just proves your lack of understanding of basic business practice in issues such as this.

Dustin2128
October 8th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Wrong

The reason is that noone with any sense is going to pay MORE to purchase the same hardware with a FREE OS. Windows PCs are cheaper, b/c Dell (or any OEM) gets a kickback for all of the crapware that's installed, b/c people are likely to just go ahead and buy a license for a product that's already installed. Villainize MS all you want... it just proves your lack of understanding of basic business practice in issues such as this.
Its also not like they were actively pushing linux, 2 outdated overpriced laptops running hardy. The least they could've done is offer them on modern hardware with modern ubuntu versions. I think the reason they didn't wasn't just because of crapware...

coffee412
October 8th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Ubuntu user issue # 6

Open quote

Dell announced that they would no longer feature Ubuntu-installed PCs in the UK online store. Instead, the option to have the open source operating system installed before purchase is only available when ordering over the phone.

"Dell has offered select consumer systems with Ubuntu pre-installed for more than two years, and is continuing to do so," Dell said in a statement.

Dell's reasoning: Ubuntu was too complex for casual PC users. As a result, Dell is scaling back sales options and retooling their online purchase platform to make it easier to acquire a Windows PC. This news comes only a month after Dell commended Ubuntu to its users for its security and stability.

End quote

Unfortunately, and as much as I wish it wasn't the case, I think that their reasoning is correct.:(

Funny. I dropped dell along time ago. I got tierd of their firmware updates and failing tech support.

The real story is that Linux is too good to put on a dell.

LINUX IS THE FUTURE!

exploder
October 8th, 2010, 01:33 AM
System 76 sells computers with Ubuntu pre-installed and they have a very good reputation. It is Dell's loss if they favor Windows. Who cares what Dell does? Dell computers are nothing special anyway.

cprofitt
October 8th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Its ok -- Lenovo is warming up to Linux. Specifically Ubuntu. (http://ubuntuforecast.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/lenovo-set-to-ship-over-1-million-ubuntu-pcs-in-china-in-2010/)