PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install NVIDIA driver

nikhil.stephen
October 4th, 2010, 07:04 PM
hi,
i want to install NVIDIA driver which requires me to close the X server. I did that using "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop ". My screen goes to the console but a cursor just blinks and after waiting for a long time, nothing seems to happen? anybody know what i've done wrong??

ddnev45
October 4th, 2010, 07:11 PM
After shutting down X, I'll get a blinking cursor, and I have to hit the enter key to bring up the login prompt.

TBABill
October 4th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Just curious why you aren't installing the driver via Synaptic?

nikhil.stephen
October 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM
hitting enter doesn't help! the cursor keeps blinking.. finally i give up and restart.

nikhil.stephen
October 4th, 2010, 07:37 PM
how do i do that using synaptic? i have a "*.run " file!

LowSky
October 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM
If you want the newest, use the PPA version... no exiting of X required
just run these commands from terminal

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot

beew
October 4th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Depends on your card version. The Vpdau PPA(as well as Xswat)seems to only support newer cards. If you use Lucid you can install the Nvidia driver just using "Hardware Drivers" and you don't need to shut down X either. In Maverick beta "Hardware Drivers" (it has a different name) seems to be broken, it didn't even detect the Nvidia card while Lucid detected the card, downloaded and installed the drivers flawlessly.

nikhil.stephen
October 4th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I'm sorry for not mentioning this before! I want to install CUDA driver. Does this mean i follow the same steps?

nikhil.stephen
October 4th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Lucid detected the card, downloaded and installed the drivers flawlessly.
this did happen. so i think i will have to uninstall the present driver and then install the CUDA driver if im not mistaken!

emoguitarist06
October 4th, 2010, 08:19 PM
hi,
i want to install NVIDIA driver which requires me to close the X server. I did that using "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop ". My screen goes to the console but a cursor just blinks and after waiting for a long time, nothing seems to happen? anybody know what i've done wrong??

Why not try logging into ubuntu cli
I beleive when grub pops up you hit tab to go to options and it'll give you an option to boot into the command line
then you'll have to type your username and password
then just "cd" to the download directory and then "./nvidia.run"

emoguitarist06
October 4th, 2010, 08:20 PM
real quick if grub is hidden when you turn on your comp
hold the SHIFT key once the bios pops up and grub will show

That is if you're running GRUB2 then hit "e" then ctrl+c

see here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Command%20Line%20and%20Rescue%20Mode

beew
October 4th, 2010, 08:29 PM
He doesn't need to close down X.

emoguitarist06
October 4th, 2010, 08:32 PM
He doesn't need to close down X.

From my experience installing an nvidia .run file running the "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop" was required to do. However when he does this it's not changing into the Command Line System correctly as it should be allow him to move forward via command line of course

BUT of course if you know a work around please do post

nikhil.stephen
October 4th, 2010, 08:36 PM
used GRUB to log into recovery mode and then command line. installed perfectly.. but nvcc (ompiler driver that compiles CUDA programs) still isnt working.

emoguitarist06
October 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM
used GRUB to log into recovery mode and then command line. installed perfectly.. but nvcc (ompiler driver that compiles CUDA programs) still isnt working.

YES! +1 for me!
Okay that second part is beyond my expertise :(

Okay who's up next??

Claus7
October 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Hello,

hi,

nothing, just press: Ctrl+Alt+F1

Regards!

beew
October 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM
From my experience installing an nvidia .run file running the "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop" was required to do. However when he does this it's not changing into the Command Line System correctly as it should be allow him to move forward via command line of course

BUT of course if you know a work around please do post

If he has Lucid he only needs to start "Hardware Drivers" and activate the Nvidia card and then reboot.

Maybe in older versions of Ubuntu or if you choose to install the drivers from Nvidia manually you need to go kill X, get into terminal etc. But I have installed Nvidia cards in two different PC (one with a new card supported by a PPA) and another time an old card using hardware drivers. Never had I have to shut down X or do anything with the cli.

nikhil.stephen
October 4th, 2010, 08:45 PM
thnx emoguitarist06!!