PDA

View Full Version : Things I HATE about geeks

youbuntu
October 4th, 2010, 02:54 AM
These are the things I detest about other geeks, being one myself:

1/ Many, MANY geeks seem totally incapable of trying to translate code in a SIMPLE analogous way, so that at least the basic principles can be understood by the man in the street - it's a skill, but it isn't that hard to do!

2/ Why do all these screencasting nerds INSIST on using TINY terminal fonts, and then uploading to YouTube in 360p/480p, where you couldn't make it out anyway, due to YouTube compression/crap resolution?! The same applies for lecture presenters - they more often than not have their terminal font set to a TINY size - how are the audience supposed to SEE?

3/ My pet hate, is the rebellious "SMACK" that "showoff geek" will give the return key, after having hammered in 3 lines of code, to show the folks something; some guy just did it on a lecture in Google video, and I felt the urge to laugh! Dude, if you hit my keyboard that hard, I'll smack you in the plums!!

4/ All of the above. I am far from perfect, but as well as being a geek, I am an EXTREMELY sociable and empathetic person, and I know how hard it can to understand code, without further obstacles being put in my way by thoughtless tutors

Kinda a rant, but in a light hearted way :)

PS: http://www.udolpho.com/weblog/?id=00712

Couldn't agree MORE!

red_Marvin
October 4th, 2010, 04:40 AM
1) This goes both ways. Most people do not want to learn what the code does, no matter how simplified the metaphor is. Eyes will glaze no matter what.

2) I would say that video is a bad medium for transmitting text.

3) It might be a noisy keyboard, a badly placed microphone, or the screencaster might just whant to convey the finalizing of an input sequence. Much like how the tone and stress of syllables change during the voicing of a sentence.

4) -

That blog uses quite advanced language for something as crass as spewing a lot of hate towards a personality of which I cannot understate his generalizations. Your own identification as a geek as well as your above statements only serve to prove this.

edit; I'm not 100% that second last sentence came out well formed, it is late.

jrusso2
October 4th, 2010, 06:26 AM
But smacking the return key is so much fun.

NightwishFan
October 4th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I had a friend when when were kids who was such an intense gamer if he did something wrong or lost he would smash the spacebar and after a few weeks it was all lopsided and the left side stuck up. :)

Khakilang
October 4th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I don't hate geeks. Chances I might have to work for one of them. Might as well accept who they are and what they are.

t0p
October 4th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I dunno what things are like on your keyboard, but sometimes my return key deserves a good smack! Bad return key! BAD!!

del_diablo
October 4th, 2010, 11:54 AM
The return key is usually the size of 4-5 buttons, its too large and easy to hit.
Hence: You hit it hard.

Random_Dude
October 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I use my right little finger to hit the return when I type. So the key is still in good shape.:lolflag:

Grenage
October 4th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I dunno what things are like on your keyboard, but sometimes my return key deserves a good smack! Bad return key! BAD!!

Damn right; got to let those keys know who's boss.

nlsthzn
October 4th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Have you hugged your geek today?

cascade9
October 4th, 2010, 12:27 PM
That blog uses quite advanced language for something as crass as spewing a lot of hate

Follow the 'home' link and bask in the 'we're not racist or homophobic' junk. :roll:

mendhak
October 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM
as well as being a geek, I am an EXTREMELY sociable ...

Does not compute

youbuntu
October 4th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I don't hate geeks. Chances I might have to work for one of them. Might as well accept who they are and what they are.

Read my comments again. Then again. Rinse and repeat, until you absorb the "about" part.

spupy
October 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM
My enter key sometimes gets stuck, after I accidentally spilled beer on the keyboard. I HAVE to smack it!:twisted:

Zlatan
October 4th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I had a friend when when were kids who was such an intense gamer if he did something wrong or lost he would smash the spacebar and after a few weeks it was all lopsided and the left side stuck up. :)

was it clean on both sides?:)

DeadSuperHero
October 4th, 2010, 04:38 PM
But, I AM a geek. :(

Dustin2128
October 4th, 2010, 05:18 PM
PS: http://www.udolpho.com/weblog/?id=00712

Hm, it looks like some random guy on the internet compensating for something by tearing down a group of people. The entire posting reeked of the immaturity and intolerance of a 12 year old.

Dragynn
October 4th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Hm, it looks like some random guy on the internet compensating for something by tearing down a group of people. The entire posting reeked of the immaturity and intolerance of a 12 year old.

LOL! It's hilarious actually, this guy CHOSE this life for himself, and he's calling other people stupid? :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

He is what he claims to hate, a common affliction I find, people are mirrors, what he is really saying is that he despises himself and the choices he's made for himself, and yet STILL, would rather whine about it than get up off his lazy crybaby tushy and DO something about it.

There's your definition of "loser" right there. It's not about the most money, or toys you accumulate in life, it's all about how much fun you have and how many people you help and make smile along the way, everything else is BS indoctrination for wage-slavery.

Dustin2128
October 4th, 2010, 10:21 PM
LOL! It's hilarious actually, this guy CHOSE this life for himself, and he's calling other people stupid? :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

He is what he claims to hate, a common affliction I find, people are mirrors, what he is really saying is that he despises himself and the choices he's made for himself, and yet STILL, would rather whine about it than get up off his lazy crybaby tushy and DO something about it.

There's your definition of "loser" right there. It's not about the most money, or toys you accumulate in life, it's all about how much fun you have and how many people you help and make smile along the way, everything else is BS indoctrination for wage-slavery.
Yeah, completely agree.

KiwiNZ
October 4th, 2010, 10:25 PM
"Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention."

Thread closed before infractions are handed out