PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem Running RC 10.10 From Disk

Ron Carson
October 4th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I've downloaded (via Torrent) RC 10.10 and burned to CD.

I tried running the CD on my Ubuntu laptop but received an error stating:

"(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashshfs failed: Input/output error
Can not mount...."

Thinking I had a bad CD, I downloaded and burned a new ISO. Experienced the same error.

Thinking it was problem with my laptop, I tried the CD on an older desktop, but receive the error again.

As a last resort, I checked the MD5 hash which is correct.

So, what gives?? Why can't I run this CD?

Thanks!

Lo0mis
October 4th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I have the same exact problem. Just downloaded 10.04.1 last night (32bit desktop), verified the MD5, and burned it (Win7 built-in .iso burner). Booted it up, the Unbuntu spash screen appears for a bit, then it dumps out with the same error that you have. Tried a different PC, same deal. Which instantly makes me think bad disk or .iso, but if the MD5 is good, doesnt that mean the .iso is good?

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/output error

Can not mount /dev/loop0(/cdrom/Casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

Lo0mis
October 4th, 2010, 02:27 AM
OK, I got it working. I burned another disk using the tool recommended on the Ubuntu download page, Infra Recorder (http://infrarecorder.org/).

I guess that, in my case at least, the Win7 .iso burning tool just, well, does it wrong...

Ron Carson
October 4th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Surely it can't be the CD burning software. I use Brasero which is the same program I used for burning Ubuntu 10.4.

Ron Carson
October 4th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Any suggestions?