PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing java on Ubuntu 10.04

ronyjoe
October 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hi,
I recently tried installing java onto my OS and also into Firefox, but i'm not being able to do so.
Please help. Please tell me how to go about with the instructions and how to install the plugin for firefox.
Regards.

lovinglinux
October 2nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
Install ubuntu-restricted-extras (apt:ubuntu-restricted-extras).

ronyjoe
October 3rd, 2010, 08:04 AM
I'm sorry but i was asked 2 download an unknown application. Please suggest an alternative to this!!!

krishnandu.sarkar
October 3rd, 2010, 08:10 AM
Ya ubuntu-restricted-extras contains many things. It's an one step solution to many problems for new users.

BTW if you want to install only the java plugin for firefox use sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin. But make sure to enable Partner repository under System > Administration > Software souces.

lovinglinux
October 3rd, 2010, 11:27 AM
I'm sorry but i was asked 2 download an unknown application. Please suggest an alternative to this!!!

The link above is an apturl, which means the download is pulled from the repositories and not somewhere else on the internet. Is the same as if you went to your Software Center and installed it from there. So, is perfectly safe.

More info about ubuntu-restricted-extras at http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/ubuntu-restricted-extras

ronyjoe
October 11th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I've installed it, but now how do i add it to mozillla firefox???

lovinglinux
October 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I've installed it, but now how do i add it to mozillla firefox???

Is automatic. Java should be listed when you type about:plugins in Firefox's address bar.