PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 Display Issues

ShadowMage121
September 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
I installed Ubuntu Server 10.04 on the computer under my desk, and got it all set-up with Bind9, fail2ban etc with ISPConfig 3 for websites.

I was trying to add users to PureFTPd and tried to reboot thinking that it would fix my problem. It didn't and the monitor went into sleep mode every time it boots up. I got it working once last night before I went to bed then shut it down so I could clean it out when I got in from classes.

The BIOS/POST will run before the screen flashes 3-4 times and then goes to sleep. Though, if I put in the CD or USB Flash drive I used to install, it will bring up the menu but when I exit it, without installing, it will do the same thing.

arrrghhh
September 30th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hrm... Sounds like a hard drive issue potentially. Can you boot a LiveCD and try to mount the disk?

ShadowMage121
September 30th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I booted into Ubuntu Netbook, used Universal USB Installer to add it to my flash drive and it was able to mount the drive.

arrrghhh
September 30th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Ok, does everything seem to be intact? Not too sure what to look for TBH, I was thinking there may be a hardware issue but perhaps not...

ShadowMage121
October 1st, 2010, 12:17 PM
Everything seems fine to me.

arrrghhh
October 1st, 2010, 02:57 PM
So when you boot it on the hdd, the monitor goes into sleep mode... can you access the box remotely at all? Maybe the monitor is going out of range or something...

ShadowMage121
October 1st, 2010, 05:26 PM
Before, I had a wireless mouse and keyboard installed. I plugged in a regular keyboard and now I notice that when the screen goes to sleep, the keyboard stops responding.

I set the server to a static IP 192.168.1.4 and when I try to ping it, it fails, and I checked Network Magic to see if it was showing up, and I checked the router itself to see if it was showing it up. It wasn't showing up on either so I can't connect VIA SSH.

arrrghhh
October 1st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Huh. That's very odd. Does the computer go to sleep or shut off as well or does it appear to still be running? Do you have a HDD light on the rig or at least a power light?

ShadowMage121
October 1st, 2010, 08:42 PM
I have both LED Lights.

Just like the keyboard, the HD remains active until the display goes into sleep mode.

Vegan
October 1st, 2010, 08:53 PM
Could be the video card or display have failed.

ShadowMage121
October 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM
How could it be the display or video adapter that failed when it boots to a LiveCD?

arrrghhh
October 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM
I don't think either of those things failed, I was just hoping maybe xorg was picking a resolution that's out of range for that monitor...

But if you can't ping or ssh to it after that happens, that is not the case. I guess this still isn't clear to me:

Is the PC turning off when the monitor goes to sleep? Or does it appear to still be running?

ShadowMage121
October 1st, 2010, 10:58 PM
The computer does appear to still be running. Fans are all on, power light etc.

arrrghhh
October 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
I'm at a loss. Sounds like hardware, but if you can boot a livecd...

Did you try booting to the recovery console? Does that at least _work_?