PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tried Ubuntu Server for 1st Time. No GUI?!

BlackRoseBud
September 29th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I tried Ubuntu Server for the first time today. Using M$ server OSs are easy, so I figured Ubuntu would be easier. I couldn't even figure out where the GUI was. Does it not come with one? Shall I go buy one of those thick books they used to use in the 80's and early 90's full of commands to input into my server installation. Come on, it should come with a GUI! :mad:

Fafler
September 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM
No, it comes with out GUI, but you can easily install one. You basically have two choices: Webmin, a webinterface that is able to control most server tasks. And the normal Ubuntu GUI.

Rad about how to install them here:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-gui-in-ubuntu-server.html
If you choose Webmin, use this file instead: http://www.webmin.com/download/deb/webmin-current.deb

And yes, you can have both.

inoculator
September 29th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hello,

of course the server comes w/o GUI. What should it be good for?

Well, don't take me to serious, as I know Your experience very good -I am Nintendo-Admin, too ;-)

If You really want to implement the GUI, You can install it via APT:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktopIt will load about 450MB extracted to around 2.something GB.
After finilazing and reboot, You will be directly booted into the GUI.

Don't be angry about this. You don't need to buy expensive book. You only need the Ubuntu Forum and Docs and some more coffee.
It works for me up to now -thanks to the comunity.

br

Carsten

Grenage
September 29th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I tried Ubuntu Server for the first time today. Using M$ server OSs are easy, so I figured Ubuntu would be easier. I couldn't even figure out where the GUI was. Does it not come with one? Shall I go buy one of those thick books they used to use in the 80's and early 90's full of commands to input into my server installation. Come on, it should come with a GUI! :mad:

No, a GUI is generally not required for a linux server. A Linux 'server' with a GUI, is a desktop.

BlackRoseBud
September 29th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Okay, I appreciate your patient responses. Will set aside some time soon to figure it all out.

HermanAB
September 29th, 2010, 10:02 AM
If you want a server with a GUI, just install regular Ubuntu.

The Linux 'server' distributions are meant for use in a data centre with racks full of machines, where having a GUI installed is quite useless, since the machines are managed remotely over SSH. These machines don't have screens, keyboards, rodents and whatnot, so there is no point in installing all the pointy-clicky-crapware.

spynappels
September 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM
+1 HermanAB

sikander3786
September 30th, 2010, 08:21 AM
SUDO APT-GET install ubuntu-desktop

Linux is case sensitive my friend. It should have looked like this

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

;-)

dragos2
September 30th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Use this, it works and it is not bloated by all Ubuntu desktop components:

$ sudo apt-get install xorg-core gnome-core gdm # ubuntu-artwork

duindain
October 12th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Use this, it works and it is not bloated by all Ubuntu desktop components:

$ sudo apt-get install xorg-core gnome-core gdm # ubuntu-artwork

E: Couldn't find package xorg-core
;(

Grenage
October 12th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Isn't it xorg-common?

flodulv
October 12th, 2010, 01:32 PM
is there any way to uninstall x (gnome) and vnc. I installed this, and i don't need this :)

mainerror
October 12th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Not to sound like a troll but what is wrong with reading books? Is it considered being "out" nowadays?

I'd totally recommend buying books and reading the documentation and not using a GUI for a server.

arrrghhh
October 12th, 2010, 05:07 PM
is there any way to uninstall x (gnome) and vnc. I installed this, and i don't need this :)

Did you install everything with aptitude? Much easier to purge with that tool.

If you installed with apt-get, you can remove all of the packages individually.

Otherwise, clean install :D