PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Eclipse Instillation Help

JeramieJ
September 28th, 2010, 09:43 PM
[ Solved ]

Hi, forgive me is this is a Completely Dumb question.

I Downloaded Eclipse IDE for Java Developers, (from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/) for school. I have the 64 bit version of Ubuntu , thus i downloaded the 64 bit version of eclipse.

After the download i extracted the contents of the file. inside there is an executable "eclipse", when i run this Eclipse runs. However, the program does not show up under the application tab.

I have a feeling that i am running the program out of the file, rather than installing it. (although this could be completely dumb.)

How do I finish my installation?
Should I run the downloaded file through the terminal, instead of extracting it?

The one from the software center is Eclipse Galileo, while the one form the homepage is Helios...

Thanks

p.s. : I'd be happy to post any information you ask for.

D3mon_Spawn
September 28th, 2010, 09:44 PM
i better way would have been to just install via software center

JeramieJ
September 28th, 2010, 09:46 PM
ok, i tried that one before, it didn't install properly. This is why i am trying from the home site

Calash
September 28th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Unless you have a burning need for the download version the Software Center is the best option for the install. You will get updates this way.

The current version from the Software Center is 3.5.2

Search for Eclipse, it is the 2nd on my list with the text "Eclipse Integrated Development Environment"

JeramieJ
September 28th, 2010, 09:54 PM
The one from the software center is Eclipse Galileo, while the one form the homepage is Helios...

GregBrannon
September 28th, 2010, 10:31 PM
You can build a shortcut to the executable Eclipse file and put it wherever you want. It's easy enough to manage your own Eclipse updates, so don't let that alone cause you to revert to the repository installation.

lykeion
September 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Here are some good instructions for a user installation of Eclipse (it suggests installation in ~/opt, but if you install in another dir just use that path instead):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EclipseIDE#User%20installation

Also, if you encounter any troubles with the installation/running of eclipse, the troubleshooting section on the above page is really good read.