PDA

View Full Version : AMD64 asm lang programming under Ubuntu

Mr. Wizard
April 11th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Hi,

I have been writing handcrafted, highly optimized .asm code on various platforms for many years. Since Winblows XP x64 Ed. does such a bad job of supporting "bare metal" programming, I have finally decided to dive into Linux (Ubuntu) in order to write AMD64 code in assember and C/C++.

My Unix/Linux skills are rusty at best (I've actually been a Unix sysadmin in a past life) and I have never really done much serious development on a *nix platform. What is the best way for me to get started writing math intensive code in C/C++ and AMD64 assember under Ubuntu? I am looking for specific development tool/environment recommendations. What I am doing would benefit from a great arbitrary precision arithmetic library that works with the integer instructions on whatever platform is it deployed on...no BCD or similar slow alternatives for me! I want to do all calculations using optimal machine instructions and do whatever BIN2ASC and ASC2BIN I/O conversion is needed as part of the UI written in C++.

Given the above is my primary goal, there are a lot of other things I'd like to do, but I can't seem to find a good online reference that will tell me how to accomplish tasks such as removing unwanted (non-working) Ubuntu installations, modifying the bootloader options list, etc. *nix has changed a lot since I learned the basics using a CLI. I have yet to figure out how to get to a shell in Ubuntu, which is making things more difficult for me. What is the best self-contained, extremely searchable, organized reference manual and introduction to Ubuntu? Right now this installation won't even doing anything with the 46 updates it keeps telling me are available...very irritating... I enter the password which it accepts, then it does absolutely nothing.

As much as I dislike Microsloth, it is very easy to find info on subjects in MSDN (assembly language programming under Winblows being a notable exception -- MSIL is lame.) For Unbunto, I end up using Google to search the entire Web for info that ought to be in a (planned) documentation site. The Wiki seems OK, but not as effective at providing answers as MSDN is. That seems to be a problem with most OpenSource/GPL/PublicDomain/Freeware software projects. <sigh>

Have I ranted enough?

DJ_Max
April 11th, 2006, 08:52 PM
All the information you need is available, you just need to read it.
http://help.ubuntu.com/ should answer most of your questions.

Since I don't know if you are using KDE or Gnome, I will let you know that in KDE, you should be able to use Kate text editor to edit .asm files.

I have never done Assembly, but when you figure out how to access your package management software(If using KDE, look for Adept, if Gnome, look for Synaptic), search for asm, which should give you some Assembly tools.

For the shell, you want an application called Terminal, both KDE and Gnome have it in different places. But are hard to miss.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TerminalHowto

That seems to be a problem with most OpenSource/GPL/PublicDomain/Freeware software projects.
You must not use a lot of FOSS software, or aren't used to how it works.