PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Apache Virtual Hosts not working

seattle vic
September 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I've been trying to get virtual hosts to work in apache2, and it is working except for a new domain that I set up through godaddy. Two other domains work fine and I can direct the inputs to simple index.html files in their respective directories. However the godaddy domain (nwnewday.com) just goes to the default index.html file in /var/www. It's almost like it can't see the domain name.

Here's what I have in sites-available/default:
---------------------------------------------------------

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName victorycat.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/victorycat
ServerAlias www.victorycat.com
</VirtualHost>

ServerName retire2soon.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/retire2soon
ServerAlias www.retire2soon.com
</VirtualHost>

ServerName nwnewday.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/nwnewday
ServerAlias www.nwnewday.com
</VirtualHost>

ServerName picasso.nwnewday.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/picasso
ServerAlias www.picasso.nwnewday.com
</VirtualHost>

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log

# Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,
# alert, emerg.
LogLevel warn

CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
-----------------------------------------------------------

I've checked the error log file and get no clues.

Any ideas would be appreciated as I've been working on this for a while and can't figure out what could be wrong.

seattle vic
September 29th, 2010, 06:26 AM
The problem was that godaddy routes the host request through their servers and as a result the host header field "hosts" contained my ip rather than the host name, which is what the apache virtual host file was looking for. There was another field called "referer" that did have the host name sought, but apache didn't look at it.

After some rooting around on the godaddy site, I found the DNS manager and simply forwarded directly to my ip, and the host name field now contains the name of the host.

A plus is that when I finally figured out I had to look at the host header, it gave me an excuse to learn how to use netcat (nc), which turns out is "really" simple and effective.