PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Adding new icons to menu bar

Dumpy Dumpster
September 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Using Xubuntu on a second machine, but I found Firefox very slow, so installed Chrome which improved speed radically.

But how can I get a Chrome icon on the Menu Bar where the Firefox icon was? And the Thunderbird icon while I am at it!

Right click on the menu bar gives 'Add New Items', but I need to get the Chrome/Thunderbird icons onto that list. Drag and Drop from Applications to the Menu Bar does not seem to work.

migs73
September 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Drag and drop from the Applications menu straight into the panel, not into the 'Add to Panel' menu.

Dumpy Dumpster
September 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks migs73, for your reply.
Unfortunately Drag and Drop from Applications direct to the panel does not seem to work either!
Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance!

migs73
September 28th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Ok try Add to panel, then click on Add a Launcher from Applications menu (second from the top on the list) than just select the app you wish to launch and apply.
Unfortunately I am doing this mostly from memory as I no longer have any panels and use AWN.

Altimos
September 28th, 2010, 04:21 PM
can you right click the menu entry and select "add launcher to panel"?

Dumpy Dumpster
September 28th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I have just noticed that all of the Compiz parts in Synaptic are not installed by default - could this be the problem?
In which case, what parts need to be installed?

Dumpy Dumpster
September 28th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks Altimos - yes.

Dumpy Dumpster
September 29th, 2010, 06:17 AM
My thanks again to Altimos and migs73,
For those as dim as I, here is what to do: Right click anywhere on the menu bar and go to Add new items, highlight Launcher and click Add. Give your new item a name, left click in the icon panel for the one of your choice. Then click on the search icon to the right of the Command Line box and go find the item you need, highlight and open it and it will all work.

By the way, I an most impressed with Xubuntu. Have it running on a CF card for installation into an old laptop.