PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] MySQL Access Denied Issue

dwhitney67
September 26th, 2010, 04:08 AM
It's been a few years since I dabbled with MySQL, and even then I interfaced to the Database using MySQL++ in a C++ application.

Anyhow, I am having trouble setting up a regular user to have permissions to create databases and tables.

As the MySQL root, I created a database, then a user account, and then I granted this user all privileges for this database.

# mysql -p
mysql> CREATE DATABASE dbname;
mysql> CREATE USER 'user'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
mysql> USE dbname;
mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON dbname TO 'user'@'localhost' identified BY 'password';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

All of the commands above succeeded without error.

Now, when I log into MySQL as the regular user, I am unable to create a table within a database:

$ mysql -p
mysql> USE dbname;
mysql> CREATE TABLE test (
-> columnOne int(11) NOT NULL,
-> columnTwo varchar(50) NOT NULL,
-> PRIMARY KEY (columnOne)
-> );
ERROR 1142 (42000): CREATE command denied to user 'user'@'localhost' for table 'test'

What am I missing? Is this a permissions issue with the actual database file in /var/lib/mysql? Does my regular user need to be made part of the mysql group?

P.S. All references above to "user" and "password" are not the actual values used.

mrhhug
September 26th, 2010, 04:18 AM
phpmyadmin makes mysql admin a breeze

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

you will need other services installed , but usually if your installing mysql your installing the entire LAMP stack.

i added databases with authenticated users to this thing literally in less than 5 mins. its the only way to go

dwhitney67
September 26th, 2010, 04:30 AM
phpmyadmin makes mysql admin a breeze

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

you will need other services installed , but usually if your installing mysql your installing the entire LAMP stack.

i added databases with authenticated users to this thing literally in less than 5 mins. its the only way to go

Thanks for your prompt reply and for the helpful clue! I just realized that I do have a MySQL Administrator GUI, and that it is indeed easier to manage users and their access to databases using it than going through the mysql command line.