PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome Terminal 2.30.2

beew
September 25th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I notice that there is no more 'save content' option in Gnome Terminal 2.30.2 so in order to save the terminal output I would have to cut and paste the content to gedit. I wonder if this is a bug or a 'feature', --or maybe the option is hidden somewhere and I miss it?

Kr4zyl3gz
September 25th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Please elaborate on what you mean by "Saved Content"

beew
September 25th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Saving the outputs of the terminal to a document. I think it used to be under "File" in the menu.

lkjoel
September 26th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I notice that there is no more 'save content' option in Gnome Terminal 2.30.2 so in order to save the terminal output I would have to cut and paste the content to gedit. I wonder if this is a bug or a 'feature', --or maybe the option is hidden somewhere and I miss it?
Type this in a Terminal window:

cat << EOF > savecontent.sh
#!/bin/bash
echo "Copy and Paste the output of the Terminal window into here:"
echo "When you are finished, press: CTRL+D"
cat > log.txt
echo "Text Saved into log.txt"
EOF
chmod +x savecontent.sh

Now type in:

~/savecontent.sh
every time you want to save your content.

beew
September 27th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Upgraded to gnome terminal 2.31.91 (snatched from Maverick's repo) 'save contents' is back.

But still, thanks lkjoel for the advice. I am sure shell scripts will come in handy in many occasions.

Clever_Username
September 27th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I swear I learn something new every time I browse these forums.

coffeecat
September 27th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I swear I learn something new every time I browse these forums.

Agreed. I've been using Ubuntu and gnome for 5 years and never noticed that feature before. :-k

QLee
September 27th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Agreed. I've been using Ubuntu and gnome for 5 years and never noticed that feature before. :-k
I don't think you've been missing it for years coffeecat, I'm writing this from a Karmic install and my gnome terminal 2.28.1, doesn't have the feature.

coffeecat
September 27th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I don't think you've been missing it for years coffeecat, I'm writing this from a Karmic install and my gnome terminal 2.28.1, doesn't have the feature.

Thanks! I'm glad I haven't been that unobservant. :) I was posting from Maverick and found it in the terminal and thought, "That's handy. Why haven't I seen that before?"

I was curious to know what the OP was using before to miss it in Lucid, so I booted into a neglected Lucid that was installed from the 10.04.1 disc but not yet updated. The 2.29.6 terminal in that did have the 'save content' option but when I did an update, gnome-terminal was updated to 2.30.2 and 'save content' went AWOL. I'll search Launchpad and see if anyone has filed a bug.

coffeecat
September 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Now it's disappeared from Maverick. :(

An update today took the terminal from 2.31.91 to 2.32.0 and 'save content' has gone.

Now you see it; now you don't.

Tibuda
September 28th, 2010, 03:34 PM
If you want to save the output of a command to a file, you can add the ">> filename.log" suffix, like this:

ls -l /usr/bin >> lsbin.log