PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Links across the network

manouche
September 25th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hi community, my first post to "the hive mind":).
I have been using ubuntu for about 4 months now and I am loving the power! One thing is really frustrating me though and I'm sure I'm not the only one with the problem(I have seen simmilar posts but no really satis answer.
The scenario is this: as an (ex?) Windows user I have built up a uniform and hierarchical storage structure on my home server and/or NAS, with media mapped to one drive and docs and files on another. This works fantastically for the windows network as all references and links are consistent. eg. for playlists the entries are the mapped media drive so even though the mp3s actually live on my external USB drive (comming up as say drive E:) a script maps the media folder to M: on any of my systems or any of my storage media so the paths are always correct. Also in my projects subfolders I have shortcuts to other relevant project folders or documents so I dont have to duplicate anything.
Now with Linux I can still map windows shares after mounting them, I will just have to re-do the playlist etc entries (grep will help). but the deal breaker is that symlinks are not supported across the network, unlike plain old windows shortcuts and there is no unix equivalent! The closest I have come as an alternative is dropping nautilus script files which opens an instance at the location referred to, inelegant or what!?!
I am also working on a script which is added to the right click which will extract the location info from the windows .LNK shortcuts and open nautilus there but I am sure I must be missing something obvious for such a critical function... help!
(sorry for the long post but I wanted to be clear).:)

tg3793
November 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I notice this hasn't been responded to in a few months. But I wanted to go ahead a wake up this thread in hopes that someone else might help with this.

I too would like to have a nautilus script (or some other method) that would open up windows shortcuts; especially shortcuts to folders.

Thanks.