PDA

View Full Version : Win phone 7

limestone
September 22nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but Microsoft doesn't seem to want users of their new phone 7 operating system. They have really ****ed it up this time!
What are you guys think? Who wants that interface? Do you really have the whole day to find you stuff? ^^

I think iphone and Android has the best solution with fast shortcuts and accessibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gngr3RF_eBY&feature=player_embedded

Calash
September 22nd, 2010, 09:58 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but Microsoft doesn't seem to want users of their new phone 7 operating system. They have really ****ed it up this time!
What are you guys think? Who wants that interface? Do you really have the whole day to find you stuff? ^^

I think iphone and Android has the best solution with fast shortcuts and accessibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gngr3RF_eBY&feature=player_embedded

Kind of funny that you liked to a video review that is pro-WinMo7 to ask about anti-WinMo7 feelings :)

It is functional, but not what I like. WinMo7 is why I ended up leaving the platform in general, I was way to attached to the layout of 6.5.

I find a mix of application and informational home screen items works best for me. Right now the best fit for my needs is Android.

limestone
September 22nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Kind of funny that you liked to a video review that is pro-WinMo7 to ask about anti-WinMo7 feelings :)

Yeah, didn't notice, but the iphone still kicks WinMo7 pretty hard in my opinion.

Dustin2128
September 22nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Android.
That is all.

kaldor
September 23rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
Windows looks pretty smooth when transitioning, but the whole tile thing looks like it would get frustrating after some time.

I'm still a fan of Android and iOS.

nerdopolis
September 23rd, 2010, 01:03 AM
Lets see...

It dropped all application compatibility for all previous versions of Windows Mobile. That means there are no apps for it now, and all the new ones will need to be in .NET I think

Its also missing multitasking (which they USED to have it, working for years)
and is missing cut and paste.

its also a HUGE UI difference from their previous versions. people that like Windows mobile 6.5 might not like 7.

Its pretty much a complety different platform, with almost the same name, and same versioning number scheme!

pwnst*r
September 23rd, 2010, 01:08 AM
Obviously none of you have used an HD Zune. If you don't think this is an improvement over the previous Winmo versions, then you can just go ahead and click on the "X" in the upper right hand corner of your window.

Competition is good, people, don't be such llamas.

Giant Speck
September 23rd, 2010, 02:25 AM
I think the Windows Phone 7 interface is brilliant, especially because it's so different from existing interfaces. It doesn't look or feel like it's trying to copy something else.

phrostbyte
September 23rd, 2010, 03:00 AM
I'm sure it will be very successful. Much like the KIN. :)

I almost feel bad for Microsoft (well, not really).

KiwiNZ
September 23rd, 2010, 03:12 AM
I have tried several versions of Win phones over time and they are just hmmmm yuck.They have just not got it. I think MS should stay out of the phone market . Leave it to IOS4 , Android and RIM .

JDShu
September 23rd, 2010, 03:52 AM
I applaud Microsoft for trying to do something different but... the UI is pretty ugly :(

JBAlaska
September 23rd, 2010, 04:04 AM
What in the world was MS thinking, that interface is horrible. Yuck

kamaboko
September 23rd, 2010, 04:21 AM
A phone...is a phone...is a phone. Guys and gals, it's just a phone. I have a cheap flip phone. It does what it's supposed to: make calls. My life does not revolve around a phone. That is to say I'm not always texting, checking out social network sites, and playing stupid little games on a phone nor would I want to. I like the look of the Win7 phone, but I wouldn't buy one. I also wouldn't by an iPhone, Android, etc., any 'smart' phone. Total waste of time and money.

pwnst*r
September 23rd, 2010, 04:39 AM
Total waste of time and money.

For you.

LMP900
September 23rd, 2010, 06:10 AM
Obviously none of you have used an HD Zune. If you don't think this is an improvement over the previous Winmo versions, then you can just go ahead and click on the "X" in the upper right hand corner of your window.

Competition is good, people, don't be such llamas.

I like the concept of moving away from 3D objects. Apple likes to incorporate bookshelves and other analog objects into a digital interface. Sometimes it works, but other times it can be an inefficient use of space or gestures. I think Microsoft has something special here.

Khakilang
September 23rd, 2010, 06:23 AM
Well you can't blame Microsoft for trying. They have all the money to invest in research and development and come out with something different. This version maybe ugly but soon they will come out with a more polish version. Just hope they are not easily infected by virus.

Giant Speck
September 23rd, 2010, 06:53 AM
I have tried several versions of Win phones over time and they are just hmmmm yuck.They have just not got it. I think MS should stay out of the phone market . Leave it to IOS4 , Android and RIM .
I've used numerous versions of Windows Mobile, up to 6.1 (I didn't bother with 6.5 since it was much of the same), but from what I've seen of Windows Phone 7, it certainly looks like a massive improvement.

Previous versions of Windows Mobile have tried too hard to maintain a fullsize OS interface within a mobile device, which ends up making the device difficult to use and clunky. And as much as HTC has attempted to improve the look of Windows Mobile, it hasn't been able to get past the clunkiness under the hood.

Windows Phone 7 actually looks like it's suitable for a mobile device. Its interface may not be glamorous, but it's also not over-the-top like iOS and HTC's Sense UI. The only problem I see with it is that despite the ground-up redesign, Windows Phone 7 insists on keeping the long-obsolete paradigm of accessing applications from a "start" menu. Will that be a major setback for Windows Phone 7, though? I doubt it.

BabakSM
September 23rd, 2010, 07:46 AM
I think the Windows Phone 7 interface is brilliant, especially because it's so different from existing interfaces. It doesn't look or feel like it's trying to copy something else.

I agree with this. I have an iPhone 4 and used to use a Blackberry Curve, but personally I think this looks really good. Purely on the basis of aesthetics, it definitely looks better than any Blackberry IMO. That said, most people that buy blackberries don't necessarily care about the UI as much as they care about functionality. And think what you want about Apple, but Android phones definitely have a tendency to look like an imitation iOS. I have two friends with that Samsung Captivate and although I think the phone looks great, it definitely doesn't strike me as a very original design aesthetic.

And anyway, Win phone 7 seems like it looks pretty similar to the Zune and integrates with xbox live. If everything you own is microsoft, it'd be nice to have that same sort of uniform look the way Apple does with their products.

As for organization... since when does alphabetical order make things difficult?? Are people really this bad with the alphabet?? All it needs is a touch-responsive alphabet on the right-hand side (e.g. like the iPhone's music or contacts directory) to jump to any letter and this thing would be totally fine even for people with hundreds of apps. IMO I definitely prefer the list format; it's definitely the fastest way to navigate.

I alphabetize my games on my iPhone anyway, and only keep 1-2 on my main screen that I play the most. And even with the new folders feature for the iPhone, I still forget what goes in each folder. Yeah, if you only have 20-30 apps I can see folders being helpful, but I have 102 apps and at least 40 games. Many apps don't fit in very nicely defined folder categories, so it gets messy regardless and I can't remember what goes where. At this point I don't even sync everything anymore. I just sync what I know I will use frequently because it bugs me when I have too many pages. The "app switching" feature on win7 though really did look like it sucked; the transitions if anything were too slow between screens.

That said, microsoft has a long way to go if they want to catch up in the apps department. It's really late in the game at this point. That reason alone would keep me off.

Just my $0.02.

fatality_uk
September 23rd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Yet another example of Microsoft failing to read the signs of how users want to interact with their technology. I know lots of guys on a lot of WinMo/Android forums who won't be making the move to WinMo7 and are actively testing & using Android.

One of the main reasons is (at current time) lack of true multitasking. Many people now consider their phone more as a PDA than a phone. GPS, addresses, emails, games, office documents etc all go to make a current "SmartPhone". I often have 3-5 apps open in Android that allow me to complete a task quickly.

limestone
September 23rd, 2010, 11:20 AM

Exactly, and they make shore no one will ever copy theirs ^^