PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems Installing Ubuntu

Canadian Cucumber
September 21st, 2010, 02:46 AM
Hi! this is my first post for Linux and I am certainly not a 'geek', so go gently. When trying to boot from a CD - Ubuntu 10.4, I get the following error message - '(initramfs) mount:mounting/dev/loop 0 on// file system.squashfs failed:input/tputerror. My computer is a Compaq Presario with a Intel Celeron processor 512 ram with XP loaded - I am attemting to load Ubuntu from the CD as a trial. The boot system starts OK, however, after a few minutes into the process I get this error message. The CD is good and has loaded a working copy onto another computer. Any help would be much appreciated.

mrgs
September 21st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Hi, welcome to the forum.

How does it work, if you boot a regular 9.10 Ubuntu or a 10.04 alternate?
http://releases.ubuntu.com/

Canadian Cucumber
September 21st, 2010, 04:31 PM
Thank you Morgaes for your welcome to the forum. Your footnote mentioned trying a 'alternate download' and I downloaded Ubuntu 6.06 but unfortunately again I get an error message "input not supported" . I guess the program/computer has either a hardware miss-match or a driver problem. This is obviously not an easy fix. Thanks again.

mrgs
September 22nd, 2010, 07:43 AM
Yes, it sounds like a hardware problem. If your machine supports it, you could try a boot from USB.

It is always good to try various releases, but 6.06 is probably to old.

Canadian Cucumber
September 22nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Having despised Microsoft for many years, (my desktop is an Apple), I have had a 'round to it' to get Linux loaded onto my old Compaq Presario S4100NX. I was recommended to try downloading 'Mint', another disto, after my above installation problems and to my surprise it mounted and is working from the live CD with internet connection, video playback, et al. It will remain a 'sweet mystery of life'.