PDA

View Full Version : IRC-like social apps?

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
September 20th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Is it just me or is the whole (anti)social networking false advertising? It seems to me it's just a way to stalk your RL friends who put every detail of their lives on the internet. I was excited about the social integration in ubuntu 10.04, but it turns out it's just more of the same. I'm naturally a shy and asocial person, and therefore I prefer IRC to "social" networking because

-You don't have to pick out specific people, but just enter a channel and you're guaranteed an audience
-You don't need a permanent identity and there isn't a tendency to connect internet handles to RL identities
-There aren't any distracting apps that allow people to annoy you with pictures of gifts and fake poker chips

So is it just me or is IRC much more social than facebook, twitter et cetera? Or is there a social networking platform I'm not aware of that takes those considerations into account?

Bachstelze
September 20th, 2010, 07:31 PM
You want a social platform that is similar to IRC? I know one, it's called IRC. :)

I don't really see the point of your thread. If you like IRC, use it. If you don't like Facebook, don't use it. As simple as that.