PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downgraded but not able to installed lower one - Ubuntu 10.04 to 9.04 - external disk

teby
September 20th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hello, I am really in need of expert help. I have started using Ubuntu last week, so a novice, and this is for my project work which needs a linux OS to install another programme (OOF).

I have installed 10.04 in an external hard disk and was able to use it without issues. While attemting istalltion of OOF it was giving me error messages and OOF forum suggested to use Ubuntu 9.04. So i have started installing 9.04 from the same external drive after uninstalling 10.04. I have used the live CD for both these installations. But Ubuntu 9.04 never completes the instalaltion. It is getting struck and aborted twice. My external drive is not partitioned and windows 32 bit is laptop -ACRE ASPIRE 5738, 250 GD HDD, Vista and 4 GB DDR.

Any urgent help please....thanks for reading my message and if you can explain me in a simple version, I would be very very happy.....

Teby

Begin_learn
September 20th, 2010, 11:30 AM
i would suggest you to try installing ubuntu using wubi.download the wubi installer from ubuntu.com.if you have the 9.04 iso keep it in the same folder and then install wubi..it will install ubuntu in your system along with windows

mrgs
September 20th, 2010, 11:49 AM
What is OOF? What exactly went wrong during installation?

Does 9.04 give any error messages?

9.04 is running out of support in a month. If you want this version nevertheless, you could try the alternate installer.
http://releases.ubuntu.com/

teby
September 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hello, OOF is Object Oriented Finite Element Method. In Ubuntu 10.04 it was showing Key Error "Shlib" and their forum suggested to use 9.04 . While installing 9.04 , when it comes to creating Virtual disks, it get stuck!!

teby
September 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
What is OOF? What exactly went wrong during installation?

Does 9.04 give any error messages?

9.04 is running out of support in a month. If you want this version nevertheless, you could try the alternate installer.
http://releases.ubuntu.com/
Hello, OOF is Object Oriented Finite Element Method. In Ubuntu 10.04 it was showing Key Error "Shlib" and their forum suggested to use 9.04 . While installing 9.04 , when it comes to creating Virtual disks, it get stuck!!