PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HSM violation -

Arzee
September 19th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I've been using the live CD for a while and recently upgraded my HD to a new Seagate momentus. I was planning to use 40 or so gig to use just for Ubuntu. Problem has been that I have seen this "Hsm violation" a few times during my boot into the Live CD version. after looking into it a bit I see that I could damage my computer if I proceed. Is this a correct assumption based on my circumstances? Should I use my old WD drive for Ubunto since I did not have HSM issues before? I would really like to have a full blown version operating full time as the last full version of Linux I used was back when it was Mandrahke and Suse. Loved Suse but purchased new computer and did not want to mess around with by MBR back then. Looking forward to UBUNTU!

Thanks from a returning Linux user.

Rubi1200
September 19th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Take a look here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libatasmart/+bug/445852

Arzee
September 19th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Thats the Link I followed prior to posting here. Its a little above my unterstanding to resolve the issue or accuratly pinpoint the cause [hardware or software based]. I did catch the Warning that continued use could cause damage. I guess the question I am asking is that if I use my old WD HD as a second bootable drive to run Ubuntu only, would the [software / hardware] issue be mitigated since it would only be mounting the Seagate drive and not really using it? I do not want to cause early failure of my hardware but I would like to continue using Ubuntu [installed to a drive for retaining data and additional sofware options]

Arzee
September 20th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. Ubuntu-Linux goes back to being on the back burner until a better release comes around.

Thanks again from a "wanted to return" Linux user