PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dual boot 64 and 32

bcdudley
September 18th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I am currently running Ubuntu 10.04 amd64. I have a few programs that just refuse to run under 64bit. Is it possible to have a dual boot system so I can pick which architecture I want at boot time? Is it as simple as just installing the 32 bit version on the same partition?

If there are any guides for this, please provide a link.

Thank you.

mrgs
September 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM
No, it is as simple as just installing the 32 bit version on another partition :-)

If you boot the 32 bit version from a CD and choose install, you will get the option of overwriting the 64 bit one or installing side by side.

bcdudley
September 20th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I installed them side by side. It does work, but I have a completely new partition, desktop and everything. I was hoping to be able to keep my existing profile, maybe share it between them, also have them on the same partition. Is this not possible, or did I do something wrong?

mrgs
September 20th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I don't think it is possible, and if it were I would still prefer two completely separate systems for security.

bcdudley
September 21st, 2010, 03:32 AM
Ok, I may just wipe the whole system and load it back up with the 32bit version then. The main program I need to run will not run 64. I have tried pretty much everything to get it working. Oh well. Maybe I will open a thread and try to get it fixed first.

Thanks for the help.