PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 10.04 crashed

ssd27
September 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Hello,
I used to have a fc6 until recetnly 2 weeks back I installed ubuntu 10.04 LTS on top of virtual box and vista home premium(I know its a blunder but I desperately needed at that moment to practice on visual studio) . Now the actually problem . The system froze and I have to perform a forceful shutdown which resulted in a crash. Next time I booted I went into initramfs.
1. boot failed because it couldn't find anything in /root. I have my ext4 installed in /dev/sda1. For performing mount /etc/fstab does not exist. I could n,t even get to a terminal operation failed
2. I tried using Live cd which I used to install ubuntu but it keeps on going with red and white dots. when i tried to get into menu and go to "try ubuntu without installing" even that didnot panout. I was able to check disk and memory through live cd those are fine.
Please don't tell me to do a fresh install I have tons of imp data on it. Is there anyway to recover it. Please help

ssd27
September 17th, 2010, 08:40 PM
hello all,
17 views and no help? :(

ve3tru
September 17th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Wow I hate when that happens.
I would try something like pendrive linux you can put the whole OS on a thumb drive.
Then backup and start over.

ssd27
September 18th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Hi,
I am only in intiramfs prompt how can i back up my os?

tock
September 23rd, 2010, 02:17 AM
well I'm right there with you on the crashed pc. As far as backing up the files, download a live cd, boot using the live cd then mount the drive that has the crashed ubuntu and locate the files you need. Copy them to a thumb drive or to a different partition. I'm hoping someone will give us a walk through on how to recover ubuntu rather then re-installing. Good luck with your computer