PDA

View Full Version : How To Compile the new 2.6.16 kernel from kernel.org

Pages : [1] 2 3

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 9th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I just finished compiling the newest 2.6.16 kernel from kernel.org and I am getting much better performance. In what follows, I will show you how to compile and configure the latest kernel. You do not need to use the 2.6.16 kernel but it is the first kernel of the release kernel and performance patches are only made for these releases. (ex: 2.6.16, 2.6.17 NOT 2.6.16.20) Feel free to compile a kernel besides the first release cycle kernel. You do not need the patch and you can configure the kernel for maxium speed in xconfig. A tutorial to optimize the kernel you are building can be found here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1174954&postcount=507)

Before you begin, you will need to get a kernel
Download the 2.6.16 kernel and it's performance patch: The 2.6.16 kernel (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.16.tar.bz2)
Latest Kernel Patch (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/ck/patches/2.6/2.6.16/2.6.16-ck12/patch-2.6.16-ck12.bz2) Don't apply the patch if you are compiling a kernel other then 2.6.16 otherwise the kernel will not compile.

Check out kernel.org for the latest stable/release canidate kernel.

1. Install needed utilities to configure the kernel

sudo apt-get install build-essential bin86 kernel-package libqt3-headers libqt3-mt-dev

2. Now we are going to move the kernel and unpack it.

sudo cp linux-2.6.16.tar.bz2 /usr/src

3. Now we are going to move to /usr/src

cd /usr/src

4. Now unpack it:

sudo tar -xvjf linux-2.6.16.tar.bz2

5. Rename the folder: ONLY needed for 2.6.16 kernel ! You don't need to do this.

sudo mv linux-2.6.16/ linux-2.6.16ck12

6. Now we are going to remove the link to the linux directory:

sudo rm -rf linux

7. Make a new link to the new kernel:

sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.16ck12 linux

8. Move to the Linux directory:

cd /usr/src/linux

9. Make yourself root:

sudo -s -H

10. Apply the performance patch: Don't use if you are not patching the 2.6.16 kernel !

bzcat /home/$USER/patch-2.6.16-ck12.bz2| patch -p1

11. Now we are going to import your current kernel configuration:

uname -r

12. Now import it: Make sure to replace the kernel version in this following command from the one from uname -r.

sudo cp /boot/config-2.6.14-ck1 .config

13.Configure the kernel:

make xconfig

Here are some performance tips from this thread. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=84174&highlight=compile+kernels)

In "General Setup" activate:

-Support for paging of anonymous memory (swap)
--Support for prefetching swapped memory

In "Processor type and features":

-Processor family Choose the model of your processor.

Activate:

-Preemption Model
--Voluntary Kernel Preemption (Desktop)

-High Memory Support
--off -if you have less than 1 GB of RAM
--1GB Low Memory Support -if you have 1GB of RAM
--4GB -if you have more than 1GB of RAM

-Timer frequency
--1000 Hz

In "Device drivers" go to "Block devices" and in "IO Schedulers" leave only the "CFQ I/O scheduler" activated, which provides the best performance.

In "Kernel hacking" uncheck "Kernel debugging".

Ctrl+S to save the kernel configuration and then close the window.

Note: Not all the options will be the same in newer kernels.

14. Let's build the kernel: Make sure that you are in /usr/src/linux with full root access. Make sure that you are. This will build a debian file that you can install.

Now, in terminal do the following:

make-kpkg clean

make-kpkg -initrd --revision=ck12 kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
Note: You can replace "ck12" with anything you want. Like "k7" or "686."
15. Install the .deb fine in /usr/src. In terminal do

sudo dpkg -i <name of the file>

Now reboot and you will have a much faster system !
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How I learned to do this:
2.6.14 Vanilla Kernel (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=84174&highlight=compile+kernels) I based my tutorial on this thread. Thank you for writing this tutorial RubenGonc !

And I also learned some stuff from this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=85064&highlight=compile+kernel)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Troubleshooting:

Q: My Wifi Doesn't work !

A:To get wifi working, compile the new ndiswrapper from source. Follow the tutorial. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=104539&highlight=compile+ndiswrapper+source)

Q: When I reboot I get Grub Error 22 ! WTF ???

A: You may have missed a step or messed something up. When it says Grub Loading..... press esc and you will be able to boot with another kernel. Then you should go into synaptic and uninstall the broken kernel and then reompile it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: How can I get fglrx and DRI working on my new kernel ?

A: Type this in terminal:

sudo apt-get install fglrx-kernel-source

Reboot and if that does not work, make sure fglrx is in the Driver section.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: I need kernel headers for my custom kernel.

A: I updated the howto and edited the last step to build a kernel image, kernel module image, and kernel headers. Thank you to tseliot for his kernel thread because I found the command there. You can view the thread here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=85064&highlight=custom+compile)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: I want to optimize my kernel ! What do I select ???

A: I just wrote this tutorial (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1174954&postcount=507) on how to configure your kernel for enhanced performance. I hope it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1174954&postcount=507) helps.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Why did you write this tutorial ?
A: I wrote this tutorial to help give back to the Ubuntu community. I've had such a good expericence with ubuntu that I want to help others. This community is great :)

dicecca112
April 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM
should be name of file for 16th step

also didn't work for me, there is no option to boot the 2.6.16 kernel in my grub

Juanito
April 9th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Did you try manually adding the parameters to /boot/grub/menu.lst?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 9th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Did you try manually adding the parameters to /boot/grub/menu.lst?
or sudo update-grub. I just ran through the tutorial again and I compilied the kernel and the set it up and it worked.

dicecca112
April 9th, 2006, 11:43 PM
weird, it shows in the menu.lst. but not in my grub. ran update-grub too and it shows up there, but not on boot

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 10th, 2006, 12:04 AM
weird, it shows in the menu.lst. but not in my grub. ran update-grub too and it shows up there, but not on boot
That's weird...check if it's hidden. Also, after upgrading up to this kernel, my sound works and it never did before !

dicecca112
April 10th, 2006, 12:42 AM
how come the path reads number-cks3 and on step 8 it says sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.16ck3 linux

Juanito
April 10th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I copied and pasted everything and succeeded! now I can suspend and resume!!!!! but I still don't have wifi.

dpicker
April 10th, 2006, 01:23 AM
To get usplash you need to make sure you enable this in the config:

Graphics support:
-VGA 16-color graphics support - module (m)
-VESA VGA graphics support - build in kernel (y)

Console display driver support:
-VGA text console and Video mode selection support- build in kernel (y)
-MDA text console-module (m)
-Framebuffer Console and Framebuffer Console Rotation support-build in kernel (y)

Not sure how to change from "m" to "y" and vice versa in xconfig so I opened the .config file in gedit and checked it manually.

Archck patch includes the Con Kolivas patch but with lots of other cool things too like acpi updates and suspend2 but I had trouble compiling it.

It's here if you wanna hava a go: http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php

berserker
April 10th, 2006, 01:39 AM
EDIT: Code corrected.

Thios
April 10th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Hi... Would anyone happen to know how to enable iptables support for the 2.6.16-ck3 kernel? Firestarter won't start without it...

R3linquish3r
April 10th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Thats not a link to the patchset thats a link to the folder that the kernel is in before you compile it.

dicecca112
April 10th, 2006, 02:04 AM
That's weird...check if it's hidden. Also, after upgrading up to this kernel, my sound works and it never did before !

how do I do that?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 10th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Hi... Would anyone happen to know how to enable iptables support for the 2.6.16-ck3 kernel? Firestarter won't start without it...
Iptables starts but firestarter doesn't reconize it. Youb don't need firestarter anyway.

R3linquish3r
April 10th, 2006, 03:00 AM
K well that completely drove me away from kernal compilation....

I dont know what I messed up but when I booted into the kernel it started in Failsafe. I logged in and when I went to start X it panicked. I booted my old kernel (2.6.12 ancient!) and THAT started in failsafe but X started at least. I uninstalled the package and now everything is back to normal. Think I'll wait till Dapper is released then do a fresh install of that so I have the latest kernel.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 10th, 2006, 03:23 AM
K well that completely drove me away from kernal compilation....

I dont know what I messed up but when I booted into the kernel it started in Failsafe. I logged in and when I went to start X it panicked. I booted my old kernel (2.6.12 ancient!) and THAT started in failsafe but X started at least. I uninstalled the package and now everything is back to normal. Think I'll wait till Dapper is released then do a fresh install of that so I have the latest kernel.
Very well, I would try and get comfortable with compiling kernels, once you compile your first one, the rest are simple. I origionally broke my system when I tried to install the 2.14.2 kernel but I got it the second time. I also tried to compile this kernel but it didn't work. I then compiled it again and it works great.

dxdemetriou
April 10th, 2006, 03:59 AM
It's time to start my first community :)
I have followed all steps and the Kernel is building..
If something goes wrong, what must I do to rebuild the deb package?
What must I do for "make clean"?
I have build the Kernel in the past but not on the Debian based system, and I haven't try to rebuild the same kernel.

shorty0927
April 10th, 2006, 04:02 AM
*new to linux*
Well, things were going along smoothly until step 11. Since I downloaded the kernel and patch to my desktop, I had to put that into the path. Apparently, I must have forgotten to type in the pipe and everything after, because nothing happened. Then when I got to step 15, I got an error (but I don't know what it was, because it scrolled off the terminal). So after realizing I missed some things after the pipe, I tried re-typing it and I got launched into some program that wanted me to verify every little element of the patch (I think). This wasn't in your instructions, so I'm panicking. A snippet from the program that started up is below. If anyone can get me out of whatever hole I've dug myself into.

can't find file to patch at input line 7819
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|Index: linux-2.6.16-ck3/arch/x86_64/Makefile
|================================================= ==================
|--- linux-2.6.16-ck3.orig/arch/x86_64/Makefile 2006-04-02 13:04:38.000000000 +1000
|+++ linux-2.6.16-ck3/arch/x86_64/Makefile 2006-04-02 13:05:11.000000000 +1000
--------------------------
File to patch:
Skip this patch? [y]
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored
can't find file to patch at input line 7834
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?

etc, etc, etc....

Juanito
April 10th, 2006, 04:26 AM
For future reference, you can copy and paste things into Konsole or Yakuake ;)

****+ins

dxdemetriou
April 10th, 2006, 04:52 AM
The new kernel works fine
The problem I have is with the motherboard
I don't know why, but it can't show the name of cards, or show other names
I have tested my tvcard on Athlon PC, and it works, but no on Intel PC the same tvcard.
I have upgraded my kernel beliving that it can recognize my motherboard
I don't know what goes wrong (and sorry if this is not the thread for that :)), but if somebody had the same problem and can help...
I have seen the names from lspci
-----------------------------------------------
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 0259
0000:00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 1259
0000:00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 2259
0000:00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3259
0000:00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 4259
0000:00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 7259
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
0000:00:09.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7130 Video Broadcast Decoder (rev 01)
0000:00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
0000:00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
0000:00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
0000:00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
0000:00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
0000:00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
0000:00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
0000:00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [K8T800 South]0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
0000:00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78 )
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3118 (rev 02)
-----------------------------------------
Thanks

Dropknee
April 10th, 2006, 05:37 AM
In "Device drivers" go to "Block devices" and in "IO Schedulers" leave only the "CFQ I/O scheduler" activated, which provides the best performance.

Dont know why I dont have in "Device drivers" the opcion IO Schedulers.

anyone have this same prob??

dxdemetriou
April 10th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Another problem.. ;)
--------------------------------
What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The kernel defined by this directory of header files does not have the same
address space size as your running kernel.
----------------------------------
I have checked all kernel directories in /usr/src/linux(version)/include, but nothing

Dropknee
April 10th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Well new kernel up and running but need the splash screen :( Im goint to work with my wireless now, the strage thing is the default Ubuntu kernel have my Wireless drivers, and only with sudo ifconfig wlan up make my wireless appear, but now this dont work, I still have the drivers, but need to enable.....

Time to work lol

Rizado
April 10th, 2006, 07:05 AM
To get usplash you need to make sure you enable this in the config:

Graphics support:
-VGA 16-color graphics support - module (m)
-VESA VGA graphics support - build in kernel (y)

Console display driver support:
-VGA text console and Video mode selection support- build in kernel (y)
-MDA text console-module (m)
-Framebuffer Console and Framebuffer Console Rotation support-build in kernel (y)

Not sure how to change from "m" to "y" and vice versa in xconfig so I opened the .config file in gedit and checked it manually.

Archck patch includes the Con Kolivas patch but with lots of other cool things too like acpi updates and suspend2 but I had trouble compiling it.

It's here if you wanna hava a go: http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.phpCould this (http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/vesafb-tng/) work with usplash? I've tried it but I never got the usplash picture but I don't think I enabled the other stuff. Regular vesa doesn't work at all.
I see you recommend archck and vesafb-tng is included in that.

There's nothing called MDA text console-module in this kernel...

atlas95
April 10th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I have the spalsh but my ethernet doesn't work and my FAT32 partitions doesn't work too :/
Do you know how to resolve this ?
Thanks

Thios
April 10th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Iptables starts but firestarter doesn't reconize it. Youb don't need firestarter anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

After running xconfing I can see the option networking support/networking options/TCPIP networking/network paket filtering/core netfilter configuration/netfilter xtables support, which is unchecked. Its description says "This is required if you intend to use any of ip_tables,
ip6_tables or arp_tables."

It seems to me that my make oldconfig misses it...

So, my question is: how can I tell if iptables does actually work? And if it doesn't, how can I make it work?

Eazy©
April 10th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I have the spalsh but my ethernet doesn't work and my FAT32 partitions doesn't work too :/
Do you know how to resolve this ?
Thanks

Think you need to do this: http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Mount_filesystem_new_kernel
in order to mount your local filesystem. When I compiled kernel 2.6.15 this worked anyway. Haven't tested with the latest kernel. So I'm afraid you have to compile again.

IsSuE
April 10th, 2006, 12:55 PM
i tried compiling the source, but i always get an error when i try to install the created .deb package:

Richte kernel-image-2.6.16-cks3 ein (kiwiv1) ...
Cannot find /lib/modules/2.6.16-cks3
Failed to create initrd image.
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von kernel-image-2.6.16-cks3 (--install):
Unterprozess post-installation script gab den Fehlerwert 2 zurück
Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
kernel-image-2.6.16-cks3

sorry that it is in german, but the main error is in english

magnusbb
April 10th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Have the pmount issues from earlier kernel compilations been fixed?

sYs^
April 10th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Hi!

Is this patch working with the latest version kernel? (2.6.16.2)?
When I tried to apply the patch I got these lines:

sudo bzcat /home/dani/patch-2.6.16-cks3.bz2| patch -p1
patching file include/linux/sched.h
patching file kernel/sched.c
Hunk #6 FAILED at 153.
Hunk #7 succeeded at 203 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #8 succeeded at 212 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #9 succeeded at 222 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #10 succeeded at 248 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #11 succeeded at 270 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #12 succeeded at 407 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #13 succeeded at 445 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #14 succeeded at 504 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #15 succeeded at 638 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #16 succeeded at 647 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #17 succeeded at 831 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #18 succeeded at 844 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #19 succeeded at 873 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #20 succeeded at 910 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #21 succeeded at 930 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #22 succeeded at 938 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #23 succeeded at 968 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #24 succeeded at 993 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #25 succeeded at 1005 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #26 succeeded at 1014 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #27 succeeded at 1051 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #28 succeeded at 1105 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #29 succeeded at 1116 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #30 succeeded at 1138 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #31 succeeded at 1190 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #32 succeeded at 1213 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #33 succeeded at 1257 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #34 succeeded at 1274 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #35 succeeded at 1319 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #36 succeeded at 1365 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #37 succeeded at 1374 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #38 succeeded at 1385 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #39 succeeded at 1415 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #40 succeeded at 1432 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #41 succeeded at 1442 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #42 succeeded at 1452 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #43 succeeded at 1463 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #44 succeeded at 1493 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #45 succeeded at 1675 with fuzz 2 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #46 FAILED at 1689.
Hunk #47 FAILED at 1725.
Hunk #48 succeeded at 1740 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #49 succeeded at 1783 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #50 succeeded at 1834 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #51 succeeded at 1886 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #52 succeeded at 1915 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #53 succeeded at 1943 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #54 succeeded at 1963 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #55 succeeded at 1976 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #56 succeeded at 1996 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #57 succeeded at 2010 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #58 succeeded at 2038 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #59 succeeded at 2085 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #60 succeeded at 2109 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #61 succeeded at 2157 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #62 succeeded at 2242 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #63 succeeded at 2276 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #64 succeeded at 2302 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #65 succeeded at 2324 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #66 succeeded at 2357 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #67 succeeded at 2378 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #68 succeeded at 2409 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #69 succeeded at 2466 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #70 succeeded at 2489 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #71 succeeded at 2503 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #72 succeeded at 2536 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #73 succeeded at 2563 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #74 succeeded at 2610 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #75 succeeded at 2684 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #76 succeeded at 2730 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #77 succeeded at 2769 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #78 succeeded at 2778 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #79 succeeded at 2797 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #80 succeeded at 2832 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #81 succeeded at 2863 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #82 succeeded at 2877 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #83 succeeded at 2901 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #84 succeeded at 2939 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #85 succeeded at 2970 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #86 succeeded at 2993 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #87 succeeded at 3009 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #88 succeeded at 3146 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #89 succeeded at 3438 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #90 succeeded at 3461 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #91 succeeded at 3575 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #92 succeeded at 3584 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #93 succeeded at 3593 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #94 succeeded at 3622 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #95 succeeded at 3651 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #96 succeeded at 3662 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #97 succeeded at 3677 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #98 succeeded at 3697 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #99 succeeded at 3711 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #100 succeeded at 3720 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #101 succeeded at 3748 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #102 succeeded at 3763 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #103 succeeded at 3773 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #104 succeeded at 3800 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #105 succeeded at 3836 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #106 succeeded at 3892 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #107 succeeded at 3920 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #108 succeeded at 3951 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #109 succeeded at 3972 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #110 succeeded at 4127 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #111 succeeded at 4138 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #112 succeeded at 4153 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #113 succeeded at 4164 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #114 succeeded at 4180 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #115 succeeded at 4201 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #116 succeeded at 4318 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #117 succeeded at 4421 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #118 succeeded at 4440 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #119 succeeded at 4451 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #120 succeeded at 4665 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #121 succeeded at 6007 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #122 FAILED at 6024.
Hunk #123 succeeded at 6079 (offset 5 lines).
Hunk #124 succeeded at 6090 (offset 5 lines).
4 out of 124 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file kernel/sched.c.rej
patching file fs/proc/array.c
patching file include/linux/sysctl.h
patching file kernel/exit.c
patching file kernel/sysctl.c
patching file include/linux/init_task.h
patching file block/Kconfig.iosched
patching file include/linux/ioprio.h
patching file mm/page-writeback.c
patching file arch/ia64/configs/tiger_defconfig
patching file arch/ia64/configs/zx1_defconfig
patching file arch/ppc/configs/common_defconfig
patching file arch/ppc/configs/pmac_defconfig
patching file kernel/Kconfig.hz
patching file Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt
patching file include/linux/swap.h
patching file init/Kconfig
patching file mm/Makefile
patching file mm/swap.c
patching file mm/swap_prefetch.c
patching file mm/swap_state.c
patching file mm/vmscan.c
patching file include/linux/mm_inline.h
patching file include/linux/swap-prefetch.h
patching file include/linux/mmzone.h
patching file mm/page_alloc.c
patching file fs/buffer.c
patching file kernel/power/disk.c
patching file drivers/block/loop.c
patching file fs/mpage.c
patching file fs/nfsd/vfs.c
patching file include/linux/fs.h
patching file include/linux/mm.h
patching file include/linux/page-flags.h
patching file include/linux/radix-tree.h
patching file include/linux/writeback.h
patching file lib/radix-tree.c
patching file mm/Kconfig
patching file mm/filemap.c
patching file mm/memory.c
patching file mm/readahead.c
patching file Documentation/DocBook/Makefile
patching file Makefile
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
1 out of 20 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.rej
patching file arch/arm/Makefile
patching file arch/arm/boot/Makefile
patching file arch/arm/boot/bootp/Makefile
patching file arch/arm26/Makefile
patching file arch/arm26/boot/Makefile
patching file arch/i386/Makefile
patching file arch/ia64/Makefile
patching file arch/m32r/Makefile
patching file arch/powerpc/Makefile
patching file arch/ppc/Makefile
patching file arch/ppc/boot/Makefile
patching file arch/ppc/boot/openfirmware/Makefile
patching file arch/sh/Makefile
patching file arch/um/Makefile
patching file arch/x86_64/Makefile
patching file scripts/Kbuild.include
patching file scripts/Makefile.build
patching file scripts/Makefile.clean
patching file scripts/Makefile.modinst
patching file scripts/Makefile.modpost
patching file scripts/kconfig/Makefile
patching file scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/Makefile
patching file scripts/package/Makefile
patching file arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-smi.c
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]

What should I do? Thanks!

oxEz
April 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Dont know why I dont have in "Device drivers" the opcion IO Schedulers.

anyone have this same prob??

Don't go in Devices Drivers first, go in "Block layers". I looked in the .config file, and it's where I learned where IO schedulers were hidden.

sYs^
April 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM
i tried compiling the source, but i always get an error when i try to install the created .deb package:

Richte kernel-image-2.6.16-cks3 ein (kiwiv1) ...
Cannot find /lib/modules/2.6.16-cks3
Failed to create initrd image.
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von kernel-image-2.6.16-cks3 (--install):
Unterprozess post-installation script gab den Fehlerwert 2 zurück
Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
kernel-image-2.6.16-cks3

sorry that it is in german, but the main error is in english

Is that directory exists? /lib/modules/2.6.16-cks3

IsSuE
April 10th, 2006, 03:42 PM
the .deb file creates a dir called 2.6.16-cks3kiwiv1. i tried removing the kiwiv1 and reinstalling the .deb, that works, but if i reboot, modprobe complains about not finding the modules...
strange thing

sYs^
April 10th, 2006, 06:41 PM
try something like this:

cd /boot/
sudo mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-cks3 2.6.16-cks3kiwiv1

Do not rename the module directory after compiling the kernel.
I'm not sure it'll help but it worth a try.

mechatronic
April 10th, 2006, 06:57 PM
This is my problem when I build 2.6.16.2:

make-kpkg -initrd --revision=2 kernel_image
.......<some things>.....
kernel/sched.c: In function ‘sched_init’:
kernel/sched.c:6031: error: ‘array’ undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/sched.c:6031: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
kernel/sched.c:6031: error: for each function it appears in.)
kernel/sched.c:6031: error: ‘struct runqueue’ has no member named ‘arrays’
kernel/sched.c:6032: error: ‘k’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [kernel/sched.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [kernel] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.2'
make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2

I'm newbie:confused: and I see number 6031](*,) ... How can I solve them? Thanks.

R3linquish3r
April 10th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Well I managed to get it running this time but I dont have splash (didnt read the post later about how to get it) and my wireless doesnt work. Is there a way I can get splash working without re-compiling?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 10th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Well I managed to get it running this time but I dont have splash (didnt read the post later about how to get it) and my wireless doesnt work. Is there a way I can get splash working without re-compiling?
Do you really need the usplash ? Anyway look under troubleshooting for a way to get the wifi to work.

R3linquish3r
April 10th, 2006, 09:39 PM
i like usplash :P wanna know when something fails to load personally.

R3linquish3r
April 10th, 2006, 09:41 PM
i dont think that way wil help me because u still need to download the headers for that kernel in uname -r. im not on the net on that kernel.....

atlas95
April 10th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Think you need to do this: http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Mount_filesystem_new_kernel
in order to mount your local filesystem. When I compiled kernel 2.6.15 this worked anyway. Haven't tested with the latest kernel. So I'm afraid you have to compile again.
Yes I thinks It is that !
Thanks you, I will retry ;) !

R3linquish3r
April 10th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I just instaled ndiswrapper (went downstairs and plugged in) and i rebooted after isntall and my wireless card still isnt showing up.... incase its needed it is a linksys wireless g card.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 10th, 2006, 11:54 PM

I'm newbie:confused: and I see number 6031](*,) ... How can I solve them? Thanks.
Try redownloading the kernel and patch. I had that error the first time I tried to compile it but I just redownloaded the patch and the kernel and the install returned no errors. The kernel works great.

rajesh
April 10th, 2006, 11:58 PM

I am getting compilation errors in sched.h also. My error is

/include/linux/sched.h:483: error: "SCHED_LOAD_SCALE" undeclared (first use in this function).

Any pointers on how to solve this ?
Thanks

R3linquish3r
April 11th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thios

If you can find a fix for that it would be cool :) i like having firestarter just so i no whats going on :)

dcstar
April 11th, 2006, 01:35 AM
I just finished compiling the newest 2.6.16 kernel from kernel.org and I am getting much better performance. In what follows, I will show you how to compile and configure the latest kernel. I don't have a splash screen at start up but the kernel works great. It is much faster. ;) This is my first How-To.
12. Now we are going to import your current kernel configuration:

13. Now import it: Make sure to replace the kernel version in this following command from the one from uname -r.

14. Configure the kernel:
And a little tip for anyone who makes a few too many modifications and ends up with a compiled kernel that won't boot:

Delete the .configure file created by make xconfig, and run this again to start afresh (don't ask me how I know to do this..... :oops: )

Skarjoko
April 11th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Ok i'm not sure whats wrong, but this happened with both 2.6.14 and 2.6.16 kernels, when i'm packaging them.

My laptop just shuts down. I'm guessing its near the end, and it suddenly just turns off, and its completely gone. This happened with both kernels, trying to make them into a .deb package. Whats wrong?

Thanks in advance.

benplaut
April 11th, 2006, 03:47 AM
i tried this (before the howto, but i did the same basic thing) with dapper and MadWifi, but madwifi module makes the boot hang on 'loading hardware drivers'. Ctrl+C'ing it makes everything work just fine.

I'm using the 2.6.15-686 right now

towsonu2003
April 11th, 2006, 05:05 AM
I got this a little while after make-kpkg -initrd --revision=ck3 kernel_image

kernel/sched.c: In function ‘sched_init’:
kernel/sched.c:6031: error: ‘array’ undeclared (first use in this function)
kernel/sched.c:6031: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
kernel/sched.c:6031: error: for each function it appears in.)
kernel/sched.c:6031: error: ‘struct runqueue’ has no member named ‘arrays’
kernel/sched.c:6032: error: ‘k’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [kernel/sched.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.2ck3'
root@bla:/usr/src/linux#

any idea why this might be?

mechatronic
April 11th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Ok! I have compiled kernel 2.6.16.3 from kernel.org. It's cool, as fast as a rabbit, but no splash screen. I hope to found the way to solve soon...

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Ok! I have compiled kernel 2.6.16.3 from kernel.org. It's cool, as fast as a rabbit, but no splash screen. I hope to found the way to solve soon...
I'm glad it worked for someone :) Is your internet any faster to ? It seems alot faster to me.

towsonu2003
April 11th, 2006, 11:05 PM
For people having troubles compiling the kernel:
The ck patch website says you are supposed to use 2.6.16 as base. I just found out that this means you are supposed to download 2.6.16, not 2.6.16.x and patch ckx (x-> 4 as of today, because the latest stable kernel is 2.6.16.4) that.
The OP might wanna specify that in the original howto ;)

the append -R and sched error seem to occur because we (I) were applying the patch (which adds features of 2.6.16.x + ck features to 2.6.16) to 2.6.16.x (double patching and thus breaking things)...

Sorry for the bold stuff. It took me a day to understand this.

Harold P
April 12th, 2006, 12:25 AM
I keep on getting things like this, and it's been going for about a two hours.

et/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_lblcr.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_dh.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_sh.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_sed.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_nq.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_ftp.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_standalone.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_core.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_proto_generic.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_proto_tcp.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_proto_udp.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_proto_icmp.o
LD [M] net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_proto_sctp.o
CC [M] net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_amanda.o

Is it almost done?

towsonu2003
April 12th, 2006, 12:31 AM
don't worry, it's gonna go like that for a while. you're good as long as it doesn't crap out with some error.

Harold P
April 12th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Alright, thanks. I thought it was just looping or something, and you can't really check back because terminal only shows so many lines...

towsonu2003
April 12th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Alright, thanks. I thought it was just looping or something, and you can't really check back because terminal only shows so many lines...
you're welcome. I guess those are the name of the modules it just built or something. good luck. now, I'm gonna reboot mine and see if I'll survive ;)

Harold P
April 12th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Haha,

root@ubuntu:/usr/src# sudo dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.16-cks3_ck3_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package kernel-image-2.6.16-cks3.
(Reading database ... 95616 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking kernel-image-2.6.16-cks3 (from kernel-image-2.6.16-cks3_ck3_i386.deb) ...
Setting up kernel-image-2.6.16-cks3 (ck3) ...
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub .
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.list file... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst .
Searching for splash image... none found, skipping...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-cks3
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-10-386
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

root@ubuntu:/usr/src#

It's done! :)

Harold P
April 12th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Sorry for the double post, but it's absolutely great. It works fine for me. I was a little concerned when I didn't see anything after it booted the Kernel. Black screens are scary. As soon as I got into the GUI I was happy. Logged, and everything pretty much loaded twice as fast... (Panels, Gaim, GDesklets, etc.)

I definately recommend to upgrade. :)

towsonu2003
April 12th, 2006, 02:11 AM
weird. I rebooted (and survived), but I got too many errors about "you should upgrade your iptables or your kernel now" when I shut down the computer -> so I chickened out bc I like my iptables (firewall, firestarter) and uninstalled the new kernel. something is wrong/missing in the howto, but I don't know what... may be you need to recompile iptables too?? am clueless thought. [I used ubuntu's config w/ mentioned tweaks and ck4 w/ 2.6.16 source.] weird stuff...

massivevoid
April 12th, 2006, 02:52 AM
When using this new kernel, it converted back to the default video driver. ](*,)

Other than that, I noticed an increase in speed. :)

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 12th, 2006, 03:14 AM
When using this new kernel, it converted back to the default video driver. ](*,)

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

then select the driver.

dcstar
April 12th, 2006, 03:51 AM

I had to recompile my Via and DRM modules with the new headers to restore my Via Unichrome Direct Rendering, after that everything worked fine.

ignorance
April 12th, 2006, 03:54 AM
well if any reads the lines that the kernel shows someone should have figured out that he isn't giving a splash screen because he can't find one.

Searching for splash image... none found, skipping...

here's a link how to get one, duno if it works will try for myself to later:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83009&highlight=bluebuntu

Rizado
April 12th, 2006, 08:19 AM
ck4 is out, but ck3 is still the one on the main page. And in the announce it says it's the patches from 2.6.16.2?
Then what is ck1, 2 and 3? 2.6.16.4 is out...

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/ck/patches/2.6/2.6.16/

dcstar
April 12th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I had to recompile my Via and DRM modules with the new headers to restore my Via Unichrome Direct Rendering, after that everything worked fine.
And of course, I found that I could have these items compiled in my new kernel anyway.... so I did it!

Also removed many (many) items from the configuration that were not necessary for my setup, this cut down the compile time as well as the size of the created kernel - well worth the effort if anybody can be bothered (and knows what they are doing.......)

dcstar
April 12th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I just finished compiling the newest 2.6.16 kernel from kernel.org and I am getting much better performance. In what follows, I will show you how to compile and configure the latest kernel. I don't have a splash screen at start up but the kernel works great. It is much faster. ;) This is my first How-To.

1. Download the latest stable kernel and it's performance patch:
The latest kernel (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.16.tar.bz2)
Latest Kernel Patch (http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.16/2.6.16-ck3/patch-2.6.16-cks3.bz2)
I note from the patch README that the cks patches are optimised for Servers, where the ck patches are for Desktops.

Perhaps in future people should choose the desktop version?

towsonu2003
April 12th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Another problem.. ;)
--------------------------------

----------------------------------
I have checked all kernel directories in /usr/src/linux(version)/include, but nothing
this is vmware? uninstall and reinstall vmware...

towsonu2003
April 12th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Hi!

Is this patch working with the latest version kernel? (2.6.16.2)?
When I tried to apply the patch I got these lines:

sudo bzcat /home/dani/patch-2.6.16-cks3.bz2| patch -p1
patching file kernel/sched.c
Hunk #6 FAILED at 153.
Hunk #7 succeeded at 203 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #8 succeeded at 212 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #9 succeeded at 222 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #10 succeeded at 248 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #11 succeeded at 270 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #12 succeeded at 407 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #13 succeeded at 445 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #14 succeeded at 504 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #15 succeeded at 638 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #16 succeeded at 647 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #17 succeeded at 831 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #18 succeeded at 844 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #19 succeeded at 873 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #20 succeeded at 910 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #21 succeeded at 930 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #22 succeeded at 938 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #23 succeeded at 968 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #24 succeeded at 993 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #25 succeeded at 1005 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #26 succeeded at 1014 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #27 succeeded at 1051 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #28 succeeded at 1105 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #29 succeeded at 1116 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #30 succeeded at 1138 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #31 succeeded at 1190 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #32 succeeded at 1213 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #33 succeeded at 1257 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #34 succeeded at 1274 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #35 succeeded at 1319 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #36 succeeded at 1365 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #37 succeeded at 1374 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #38 succeeded at 1385 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #39 succeeded at 1415 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #40 succeeded at 1432 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #41 succeeded at 1442 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #42 succeeded at 1452 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #43 succeeded at 1463 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #44 succeeded at 1493 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #45 succeeded at 1675 with fuzz 2 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #46 FAILED at 1689.
Hunk #47 FAILED at 1725.
Hunk #48 succeeded at 1740 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #49 succeeded at 1783 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #50 succeeded at 1834 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #51 succeeded at 1886 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #52 succeeded at 1915 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #53 succeeded at 1943 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #54 succeeded at 1963 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #55 succeeded at 1976 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #56 succeeded at 1996 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #57 succeeded at 2010 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #58 succeeded at 2038 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #59 succeeded at 2085 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #60 succeeded at 2109 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #61 succeeded at 2157 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #62 succeeded at 2242 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #63 succeeded at 2276 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #64 succeeded at 2302 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #65 succeeded at 2324 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #66 succeeded at 2357 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #67 succeeded at 2378 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #68 succeeded at 2409 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #69 succeeded at 2466 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #70 succeeded at 2489 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #71 succeeded at 2503 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #72 succeeded at 2536 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #73 succeeded at 2563 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #74 succeeded at 2610 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #75 succeeded at 2684 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #76 succeeded at 2730 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #77 succeeded at 2769 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #78 succeeded at 2778 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #79 succeeded at 2797 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #80 succeeded at 2832 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #81 succeeded at 2863 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #82 succeeded at 2877 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #83 succeeded at 2901 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #84 succeeded at 2939 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #85 succeeded at 2970 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #86 succeeded at 2993 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #87 succeeded at 3009 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #88 succeeded at 3146 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #89 succeeded at 3438 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #90 succeeded at 3461 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #91 succeeded at 3575 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #92 succeeded at 3584 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #93 succeeded at 3593 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #94 succeeded at 3622 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #95 succeeded at 3651 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #96 succeeded at 3662 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #97 succeeded at 3677 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #98 succeeded at 3697 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #99 succeeded at 3711 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #100 succeeded at 3720 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #101 succeeded at 3748 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #102 succeeded at 3763 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #103 succeeded at 3773 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #104 succeeded at 3800 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #105 succeeded at 3836 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #106 succeeded at 3892 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #107 succeeded at 3920 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #108 succeeded at 3951 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #109 succeeded at 3972 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #110 succeeded at 4127 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #111 succeeded at 4138 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #112 succeeded at 4153 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #113 succeeded at 4164 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #114 succeeded at 4180 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #115 succeeded at 4201 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #116 succeeded at 4318 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #117 succeeded at 4421 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #118 succeeded at 4440 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #119 succeeded at 4451 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #120 succeeded at 4665 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #121 succeeded at 6007 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #122 FAILED at 6024.
Hunk #123 succeeded at 6079 (offset 5 lines).
Hunk #124 succeeded at 6090 (offset 5 lines).
4 out of 124 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file kernel/sched.c.rej
patching file fs/proc/array.c
patching file include/linux/sysctl.h
patching file kernel/exit.c
patching file kernel/sysctl.c
patching file include/linux/init_task.h
patching file block/Kconfig.iosched
patching file include/linux/ioprio.h
patching file mm/page-writeback.c
patching file arch/ia64/configs/tiger_defconfig
patching file arch/ia64/configs/zx1_defconfig
patching file arch/ppc/configs/common_defconfig
patching file arch/ppc/configs/pmac_defconfig
patching file kernel/Kconfig.hz
patching file Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt
patching file include/linux/swap.h
patching file init/Kconfig
patching file mm/Makefile
patching file mm/swap.c
patching file mm/swap_prefetch.c
patching file mm/swap_state.c
patching file mm/vmscan.c
patching file include/linux/mm_inline.h
patching file include/linux/swap-prefetch.h
patching file include/linux/mmzone.h
patching file mm/page_alloc.c
patching file fs/buffer.c
patching file kernel/power/disk.c
patching file drivers/block/loop.c
patching file fs/mpage.c
patching file fs/nfsd/vfs.c
patching file include/linux/fs.h
patching file include/linux/mm.h
patching file include/linux/page-flags.h
patching file include/linux/radix-tree.h
patching file include/linux/writeback.h
patching file lib/radix-tree.c
patching file mm/Kconfig
patching file mm/filemap.c
patching file mm/memory.c
patching file mm/readahead.c
patching file Documentation/DocBook/Makefile
patching file Makefile
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
1 out of 20 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.rej
patching file arch/arm/Makefile
patching file arch/arm/boot/Makefile
patching file arch/arm/boot/bootp/Makefile
patching file arch/arm26/Makefile
patching file arch/arm26/boot/Makefile
patching file arch/i386/Makefile
patching file arch/ia64/Makefile
patching file arch/m32r/Makefile
patching file arch/powerpc/Makefile
patching file arch/ppc/Makefile
patching file arch/ppc/boot/Makefile
patching file arch/ppc/boot/openfirmware/Makefile
patching file arch/sh/Makefile
patching file arch/um/Makefile
patching file arch/x86_64/Makefile
patching file scripts/Kbuild.include
patching file scripts/Makefile.build
patching file scripts/Makefile.clean
patching file scripts/Makefile.modinst
patching file scripts/Makefile.modpost
patching file scripts/kconfig/Makefile
patching file scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/Makefile
patching file scripts/package/Makefile
patching file arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/speedstep-smi.c

What should I do? Thanks!
patch and compile 2.6.16 instead of 2.6.16.2

towsonu2003
April 12th, 2006, 03:49 PM

use 2.6.16 to compile (sorry for me being repetitious).

towsonu2003
April 12th, 2006, 03:52 PM
ck4 is out, but ck3 is still the one on the main page. And in the announce it says it's the patches from 2.6.16.2?
Then what is ck1, 2 and 3? 2.6.16.4 is out...

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/ck/patches/2.6/2.6.16/
you use 2.6.16 as base. ck1 gives you patched 2.6.16.1, ck2 gives 2.6.16.2 etc... so for latest kernel, you download 2.6.16, check the x in 2.6.16.x in kernel.org main page (latest), and you download ckx as your patch. that's my understanding of this thing.

decebal
April 12th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I compiled and installed the kernel apparently without problems but it killed my fglrx driver and no matter what I did (reinstall, reconfigure, etc) I couldn't get rid of the mesa thing!
The other problem I had was with my fat partition - it just wouldn't let me mount it at all with the new kernel - it would say "device already mounted or busy" and if I tried to unmount it would say "device not mounted".

On the other hand, I didn't notice any major speed improvement with the new kernel - but I'm on a fast machine and the "old" kernel was already pretty fast.

And by the way, if you want to make the splash image work with the new kernel all you need to do is reinstall usplash in synaptic.

So .... back to 2.6.15 for me.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 12th, 2006, 10:08 PM
ok, I linked to the desktop patch. Should I rewrite the tutorial for the newest kernel or should I wait until a new kernel comes out ?

massivevoid
April 12th, 2006, 10:38 PM
How do you apply the cks4 patch?

root@crafford:/usr/src/linux# sudo bzcat /home/william/patch-2.6.16-cks4.bz2| patch -p1

ludzter
April 12th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Hi and thnx for a nice howto. :D

But here comes som newbie questions:
If i take just 2.6.16.4 without patch, am i in trubble then? (like always)
Why install 2.6.16, when 2.6.16.4 is out there?
what is the patch doing?

Just trying to understand what i am doing, not always so esay ;)

//Ludz

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 12th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Hi and thnx for a nice howto. :D

But here comes som newbie questions:
If i take just 2.6.16.4 without patch, am i in trubble then? (like always)
Why install 2.6.16, when 2.6.16.4 is out there?
what is the patch doing?

Just trying to understand what i am doing, not always so esay ;)

//Ludz
The patch is improving proformance. You can use the 2.6.16.4 kernel without the patch. Also, this tutorial is about 4 days old and 2.6.16.4 was just released. I'm getting ready to compile and install it right now. You can use my tutorial for the new kernel. Just replace the 2.6.16 name in the command with the 2.6.16.4 one.

ludzter
April 12th, 2006, 11:51 PM
ok, nice. i am about to reinstall my system anyway, so i will give it a try. Thanks again for the nice howto and the fast replay.

Now time to break my system ;)

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 13th, 2006, 12:04 AM
omg ! A new kernel was just released ! Wow..5 minutes ago it was 2.6.16.4.

gabng
April 13th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Hi, I've been using Ubuntu for about a week now, and I've just done my very first kernel compile and intall, which was a success! Thanks to MasterChief1234 :).

Now I'm running on 2.6.16 with ck4 patch but my wireless card isn't showing up in Networking. I tried lspci and it does recognize it as
Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
, which is correct.
So my question is how can I get it to show up in Networks so I can activate it and get online with it again?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 13th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Hi, I've been using Ubuntu for about a week now, and I've just done my very first kernel compile and intall, which was a success! Thanks to MasterChief1234 :).

Now I'm running on 2.6.16 with ck4 patch but my wireless card isn't showing up in Networking. I tried lspci and it does recognize it as
Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5005G 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
, which is correct.
So my question is how can I get it to show up in Networks so I can activate it and get online with it again?
Look under Troubleshooting ;)

massivevoid
April 13th, 2006, 12:19 AM
How do you apply the cks4 patch?

root@crafford:/usr/src/linux# sudo bzcat /home/william/patch-2.6.16-cks4.bz2| patch -p1

How do I apply a patch?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 13th, 2006, 12:22 AM
How do I apply a patch?
do just what I said. Sometimes you will need to redownload the kernel + patch and then everything should work.

Ob1
April 13th, 2006, 01:01 AM
How do i see what my current kernel is?

ErikTheRed
April 13th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Sweet guide, it's always nice to a have a guide to show you how easy compiling a new kernel is.

towsonu2003
April 13th, 2006, 01:04 AM
no matter what I do, iptables won't work (even when enabled it in xconfig). :-k ](*,) + ndiswrapper won't compile + many device-mapper errors... I guess I'm not ready for this stuff yet...

towsonu2003
April 13th, 2006, 01:05 AM
How do i see what my current kernel is?
uname -r

massivevoid
April 13th, 2006, 01:06 AM
do just what I said. Sometimes you will need to redownload the kernel + patch and then everything should work.

So I have to recompile the kernel over again, just to apply the new patch?

towsonu2003
April 13th, 2006, 01:07 AM
So I have to recompile the kernel over again, just to apply the new patch?
yep

massivevoid
April 13th, 2006, 01:11 AM
yep

Ok, I got it now. Thanks. :D

Justbill
April 13th, 2006, 04:23 AM
So, I gave this a whirl. Here is my output, after I ran make-kpkg -initrd --revision=ck3 kernel_image:

if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map -b /usr/src/linux/debian/tmp-image -r 2.6.16-cks4; fi
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16ck3'
test ! -e debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.16-cks4/source || \
mv debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.16-cks4/source ./debian/source-link
test ! -e debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.16-cks4/build || \
mv debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.16-cks4/build ./debian/build-link
depmod -q -FSystem.map -b debian/tmp-image 2.6.16-cks4;
test ! -e ./debian/source-link || \ mv ./debian/source-link debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.16-cks4/source
test ! -e ./debian/build-link || \ mv ./debian/build-link debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.16-cks4/build
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage debian/tmp-image/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-cks4
chmod 644 debian/tmp-image/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-cks4;
if test -d /usr/src/linux/debian/image.d ; then \
IMAGE_TOP=debian/tmp-image version=2.6.16-cks4 \
run-parts --verbose /usr/src/linux/debian/image.d ; \
fi
if [ -x debian/post-install ]; then \
IMAGE_TOP=debian/tmp-image STEM=kernel version=2.6.16-cks4 \
debian/post-install; \
fi
test ! -s applied_patches || cp applied_patches \
debian/tmp-image/boot/patches-2.6.16-cks4
test ! -s applied_patches || chmod 644 \
test ! -f System.map || cp System.map \
debian/tmp-image/boot/System.map-2.6.16-cks4;
test ! -f System.map || chmod 644 \
# For LKCD enabled kernels
test ! -f Kerntypes || cp Kerntypes \
debian/tmp-image/boot/Kerntypes-2.6.16-cks4
test ! -f Kerntypes || chmod 644 \
dpkg-gencontrol -DArchitecture=i386 -isp \
-pkernel-image-2.6.16-cks4 -Pdebian/tmp-image/
chmod -R og=rX debian/tmp-image
chown -R root:root debian/tmp-image
dpkg --build debian/tmp-image ..
dpkg-deb: building package `kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4' in `../kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_i386.deb'.
rm -f -r debian/tmp-image
echo done > stamp-image
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16ck3'
root@Goliath:/usr/src/linux# dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4
dpkg: error processing kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4 (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4

of course, it did all the other stuff, this was just the end. Anyhow, I can't seem to install the new kernel. I'm thinking it put it in a directory, and I can't seem to find it (that or I'm just stupid, and shouldn't be trying this).

Can anyone give me a clue here what to do?

Thanks in advance
Justbill

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 13th, 2006, 04:34 AM
So, I gave this a whirl. Here is my output, after I ran make-kpkg -initrd --revision=ck3 kernel_image:

if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map -b /usr/src/linux/debian/tmp-image -r 2.6.16-cks4; fi
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16ck3'
test ! -e debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.16-cks4/source || \
mv debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.16-cks4/source ./debian/source-link
test ! -e debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.16-cks4/build || \
mv debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.16-cks4/build ./debian/build-link
depmod -q -FSystem.map -b debian/tmp-image 2.6.16-cks4;
test ! -e ./debian/source-link || \ mv ./debian/source-link debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.16-cks4/source
test ! -e ./debian/build-link || \ mv ./debian/build-link debian/tmp-image/lib/modules/2.6.16-cks4/build
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage debian/tmp-image/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-cks4
chmod 644 debian/tmp-image/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-cks4;
if test -d /usr/src/linux/debian/image.d ; then \
IMAGE_TOP=debian/tmp-image version=2.6.16-cks4 \
run-parts --verbose /usr/src/linux/debian/image.d ; \
fi
if [ -x debian/post-install ]; then \
IMAGE_TOP=debian/tmp-image STEM=kernel version=2.6.16-cks4 \
debian/post-install; \
fi
test ! -s applied_patches || cp applied_patches \
test ! -s applied_patches || chmod 644 \
test ! -f System.map || cp System.map \
test ! -f System.map || chmod 644 \
# For LKCD enabled kernels
test ! -f Kerntypes || cp Kerntypes \
test ! -f Kerntypes || chmod 644 \
dpkg-gencontrol -DArchitecture=i386 -isp \
-pkernel-image-2.6.16-cks4 -Pdebian/tmp-image/
chmod -R og=rX debian/tmp-image
chown -R root:root debian/tmp-image
dpkg --build debian/tmp-image ..
dpkg-deb: building package `kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4' in `../kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_i386.deb'.
echo done > stamp-image
root@Goliath:/usr/src/linux# dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4
dpkg: error processing kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4 (--install):
kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4

of course, it did all the other stuff, this was just the end. Anyhow, I can't seem to install the new kernel. I'm thinking it put it in a directory, and I can't seem to find it (that or I'm just stupid, and shouldn't be trying this).

Can anyone give me a clue here what to do?

Thanks in advance
Justbill
look in usr/src/ for the kernel image. It should be something like linux-image-2.16.6cks3_i386. The open terminal and type sudo dpkg -i then drag the kernel image which is a .deb into the terminal and it will automatically put it's location. Then press enter.

Justbill
April 13th, 2006, 04:45 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand what you meant there. Here is the output from cd /usr/src , and then ls -l :

root@Goliath:/home/bill# cd /usr/src
root@Goliath:/usr/src# ls
kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_i386.deb linux-2.6.16.tar.bz2
linux linux-headers-2.6.12-10
linux-2.6.16ck3 linux-headers-2.6.12-10-386
root@Goliath:/usr/src# dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.16-cks_ck3_i386.deb
dpkg: error processing kernel-image-2.6.16-cks_ck3_i386.deb (--install):
kernel-image-2.6.16-cks_ck3_i386.deb
root@Goliath:/usr/src# ls -l
total 54160
-rw-r--r-- 1 root src 14534526 2006-04-12 21:55 kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_i386.deb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root src 24 2006-04-12 20:54 linux -> /usr/src/linux-2.6.16ck3
drwxrwxrwx 21 root root 4096 2006-04-12 21:55 linux-2.6.16ck3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root src 40845005 2006-04-12 20:51 linux-2.6.16.tar.bz2
drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4096 2006-04-09 13:23 linux-headers-2.6.12-10
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2006-04-09 13:23 linux-headers-2.6.12-10-386
root@Goliath:/usr/src#
does kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_i386.deb need to have permisions changed? and, is that what I want to install?

Thanks
Justbill

dcstar
April 13th, 2006, 05:50 AM
does kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_i386.deb need to have permisions changed? and, is that what I want to install?

Thanks
Justbill
Just make sure you type the exact same .deb name in, or make sure you only have your latest compiled .deb in that directory and type:

sudo dpkg -i *deb

Phlod
April 13th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I can't make xconfig? When I try it puts out this perplexing output:

root@zim:/usr/src/linux# make xconfig
scripts/kconfig/qconf arch/i386/Kconfig
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

qconf: cannot connect to X server :0.0
make[1]: *** [xconfig] Error 1
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

No idea why it wouldn't be able to connect to the server. It's running, I'm using it right now.

dcstar
April 13th, 2006, 07:35 AM
ok, I linked to the desktop patch. Should I rewrite the tutorial for the newest kernel or should I wait until a new kernel comes out ?
Rewrite it so people have to find the latest patch, and then tweak the scripts to use it themselves.

dcstar
April 13th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I can't make xconfig? When I try it puts out this perplexing output:

root@zim:/usr/src/linux# make xconfig

No idea why it wouldn't be able to connect to the server. It's running, I'm using it right now.
I believe xconfig is a KDE app, do you have the various kdelibs packages installed?

ludzter
April 13th, 2006, 08:09 AM
I now have about 6 diffrent Kernels in my menu.lst , but how do i completly remove a old or non working kernel, i figure it might be pretty stupid to something wrong here, and have to it all over again.

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.16-cks3
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-cks3
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-cks3

Only these 2 that i have to remove? ill think i need a step by step howto here :-k

Justbill
April 13th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Just make sure you type the exact same .deb name in, or make sure you only have your latest compiled .deb in that directory and type:

sudo dpkg -i *deb

Thanks dcstar! One of these days I'll learn to NOT try this stuff when half asleep! Thanks for noticing the typo in my last attempt (do I feel stupid).

New Kernel is working great!

Thanks Again!

Justbill

towsonu2003
April 13th, 2006, 02:50 PM
12. Now we are going to import your current kernel configuration:

13. Now import it: Make sure to replace the kernel version in this following command from the one from uname -r.

14. Configure the kernel:

It seems the imported /boot/config-blabla is not very "compatible" with the latest kernels. It misses a lot of options originally present in Ubuntu's kernel (the output on the terminal when typed "sudo make xconfig" shows the incompatible arguments in .config I guess). And you have to manually go in there and double check everything (which I can't do, bc I'm clueless :) )

One example is iptables. The new config made from the old one totally misses the iptables configuration in the kernel. With the new kernel, you don't have a firewall anymore. To fix that, check out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=151824

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 13th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I now have about 6 diffrent Kernels in my menu.lst , but how do i completly remove a old or non working kernel, i figure it might be pretty stupid to something wrong here, and have to it all over again.

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.16-cks3
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-cks3
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-cks3

Only these 2 that i have to remove? ill think i need a step by step howto here :-k
Synaptic. Then search for kernel and find it. The name should be something like "linux-image-2.6.**.*" Where the * are the name then click the box on the left and select "Remove Completly."

towsonu2003
April 13th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Synaptic. Then search for kernel and find it. The name should be something like "linux-image-2.6.**.*" Where the * are the name then click the box on the left and select "Remove Completly."
just to correct, it will say kernel-image-blabla. Just make sure you're not uninstalling the wrong kernel, and I think you shouldn't uninstall a kernel while you are running on it ;) :P

To make sure you're not removing the kernel you're using, use uname -r.

plush
April 15th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Great thread... however I ran into some problems, which I'm sure are powerpc-related, who knows... I was hoping someone could shed some light on this.

I followed your directions, except I didn't implement the patch or rename the directory, though I don't think that should matter. After doing "make kpkg-clean", and then the command to "make-kpkg -initrd kernel_image", it starts doing it's thing for quite some time (15-20 min) and then it stops with at the following:

ld: drivers/built-in.o section .init.text exceeds stub group size
ld: arch/powerpc/kernel/built-in.o section .init.text exceeds stub group size
ld: init/built-in.o section .init.text exceeds stub group size
ld: net/built-in.o section .text exceeds stub group size
ld: drivers/built-in.o section .text exceeds stub group size
ld: block/built-in.o section .text exceeds stub group size
ld: security/built-in.o section .text exceeds stub group size
ld: ipc/built-in.o section .text exceeds stub group size
ld: fs/built-in.o section .text exceeds stub group size
ld: mm/built-in.o section .text exceeds stub group size
ld: kernel/built-in.o section .text exceeds stub group size
ld: arch/powerpc/platforms/built-in.o section .text exceeds stub group size
ld: arch/powerpc/kernel/built-in.o section .text exceeds stub group size
ld: arch/powerpc/kernel/head_64.o section .text exceeds stub group size
drivers/built-in.o: In function `.platinumfb_probe':platinumfb.c:(.text+0x84a0c): undefined reference to `.nvram_read_byte'
:platinumfb.c:(.text+0x84ab0): undefined reference to `.nvram_read_byte'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `.imsttfb_probe':imsttfb.c:(.text+0x88334): undefined reference to `.nvram_read_byte'
:imsttfb.c:(.text+0x88358): undefined reference to `.nvram_read_byte'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `.control_init':controlfb.c:(.init.text+0x52ec): undefined reference to `.nvram_read_byte'
drivers/built-in.o:controlfb.c:(.init.text+0x54dc): more undefined references to `.nvram_read_byte' follow
make[1]: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16'

I used the old config from my config-2.6.15-19-powerpc64-smp. And I used gconfig.

plush
April 15th, 2006, 08:08 PM
K now it does that right away when I try to type "make-kpkg -initrd kernel_image" again... is it trying to compile from where I left off? Should I erase everything and start over?

geearf
April 15th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Hello,

I'm using dapper with the 2.6.15 patched for reiser4 and a little tweaked, is this kernel + patchset really better than the almost 'official' one ?

Thanks

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 15th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Hello,

I'm using dapper with the 2.6.15 patched for reiser4 and a little tweaked, is this kernel + patchset really better than the almost 'official' one ?

Thanks
I don't think that you should upgrade. You won't really get that much better performance in my opinion.

geearf
April 15th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Allright then, I will just tweak it a little more, is there any specific patch I should try ?

Thanks

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 15th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Allright then, I will just tweak it a little more, is there any specific patch I should try ?

Thanks
I don't think there is a specific patch you could use but I just compilied the new 2.6.16.5 kernel and I tried to customize it for speed. I also didn't use any patch...let's see how fast it is...

eRoot
April 15th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I was hoping I could get the newest kernel on my slowish computer, but alas, I have encountered a problem.

When I'm building the kernel I get the following error:

CC kernel/posix-timers.o
CC kernel/kthread.o
CC kernel/wait.o
CC kernel/kfifo.o
CC kernel/sys_ni.o
CC kernel/posix-cpu-timers.o
kernel/posix-cpu-timers.c: In function ‘run_posix_cpu_timers’:
kernel/posix-cpu-timers.c:1275: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
For Debian GNU/Linux specific bug reporting instructions,
see <URL:file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.0/README.Bugs>.
make[2]: *** [kernel/posix-cpu-timers.o] Error 1
root@box:/usr/src/linux#
I noticed that if I start building it again, it starts off where the error occured and continues until it reaches the next "Segment fault".

This can't good, can it?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 15th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I was hoping I could get the newest kernel on my slowish computer, but alas, I have encountered a problem.

When I'm building the kernel I get the following error:

CC kernel/posix-timers.o
CC kernel/kthread.o
CC kernel/wait.o
CC kernel/kfifo.o
CC kernel/sys_ni.o
CC kernel/posix-cpu-timers.o
kernel/posix-cpu-timers.c: In function ‘run_posix_cpu_timers’:
kernel/posix-cpu-timers.c:1275: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
For Debian GNU/Linux specific bug reporting instructions,
see <URL:file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.0/README.Bugs>.
make[2]: *** [kernel/posix-cpu-timers.o] Error 1
root@box:/usr/src/linux#
I noticed that if I start building it again, it starts off where the error occured and continues until it reaches the next "Segment fault".

This can't good, can it?
ok, this can be the result of a bad patch. Try re-compiling the kernel and skip the patch step. Also compile the 2.6.16.5 kernel from kernel.org. Just follow the tutorial but replace the old kernel name (2.6.16) with the new one (2.6.16.5).

IsKall
April 15th, 2006, 09:42 PM
what do you mean with <name of the fine> ?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 15th, 2006, 09:55 PM
what do you mean with <name of the fine> ?
I mean name of file. Sorry, typo. Are you installing the kernel now ? If so I hope it works.

geearf
April 15th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I don't think there is a specific patch you could use but I just compilied the new 2.6.16.5 kernel and I tried to customize it for speed. I also didn't use any patch...let's see how fast it is...
Good, please tell us later about how it feels :)

kleeman
April 15th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I upgraded to the 2.6.17-rc1 kernel on dapper to fix a scsi problem. Seems to work quite well so far.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 15th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Good, please tell us later about how it feels :)
Here are some speed tests:

My Old 2.6.12-10 Kernel:
Boot (No InitNG): 1 min 4 sec.
Boot With InitNG: 54.26 seconds

Internet Test (Tested at testmy.net)
Test 1: 387 kb/s
Test 2: 393 kb/s
Test 3: 369 kb/s
--------------------------------------------------
My new 2.6.16.5 Customized Kernel-Unpatched
Boot (No InitNG): 54.46 seconds
Boot With InitNG: 43.58 seconds

Internet Test (Tested at testmy.net about the same time as the last test)
Test 1: 718 kb/s
Test 2: 711 kb/s
Test 3: 720 kb/s
---------------------------------------------------
I will now compare the 2.6.16.5 kernel - unpatched to 2.6.16 patched kernel.

My observations for 2.16.5 up (compared to 2.6.16 p)
1. It seems to be much more stable- true, no apps have crashed
2. Apps load quicker - From a cold boot, swiftfox loads in 3 seconds compared to 4.3 on the old one.
3. My net seems a little faster - semi-true. Download speed is down 20 kb/s (this could be because alot of people are on now) but page rendering is much faster.
4. Not much difference between patched and unpatched except for those above.

My observations for 2.6.16p compared to 2.6.16.5up
1. Gives the impression of being faster - this is untrue.
2. Much more unstable. I had a few apps crash on 2.6.16p
----------------------------------------------------
There the tests are in.

plush
April 15th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Any clues on my nvram issue? I'm trying everything I can to compile this thing...

eRoot
April 15th, 2006, 10:47 PM
ok, this can be the result of a bad patch. Try re-compiling the kernel and skip the patch step. Also compile the 2.6.16.5 kernel from kernel.org. Just follow the tutorial but replace the old kernel name (2.6.16) with the new one (2.6.16.5).
Thank you for your advice, but unfortunately it didn't help. I'm still getting the same message.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 15th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Thank you for your advice, but unfortunately it didn't help. I'm still getting the same message.
ok go under /usr/src as root and delete the 2.6.16 folders. Then just do the tutorial again and skip the patch. I also just thought of something, redownload the kernel. I have a feeling that your download may be corrupt. Good luck.

eRoot
April 16th, 2006, 12:10 AM
ok go under /usr/src as root and delete the 2.6.16 folders. Then just do the tutorial again and skip the patch. I also just thought of something, redownload the kernel. I have a feeling that your download may be corrupt. Good luck.
Hmm, that still didn't do the trick. It did actually compile somewhat longer, but it assume that's just coincidence. You said I might have a corrupt download. well, I used the following link and downloaded it for a second time, as you suggested: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.16.5.tar.bz2 That is the correct one, right?
Anyway, It's past 01.00, so I should problaby go to bed. I'll try to figure it out tomorrow. Good night :)

geearf
April 16th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback, it's strange to get worse perfomance with the ck patchset, but I'll stay with just the ubuntu patches then :)

dcstar
April 16th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Just some little hints to those getting used to all the arcane things that go with compiling new kernels:

1/ Always (ALWAYS!) leave the existing "Official" kernel on your system and available to boot up from if things go "Pear-shaped"!

2/ If you want to recompile and re-install the new kernel multiple times (for instance, you may want to remove unnecessary config items that don't apply to your hardware/environment to make the kernel smaller - as well as compile quicker) - then you need to not be running the new kernel of you want to replace it. Once, you have recompiled a new .deb file, reboot you old kernel to then remove the old "new" kernel, and then do the dkpg step to install your new "new" kernel.

Just out of interest, removing many (many) items from my config gave me a generated .deb file of 4.0 MB, and the complie time was a fraction of the full config. My new kernel still does everything it should on my system but uses less memory because it has less never (ever) used code.

BTW, my boot time with old K7 kernel, 70 seconds, with new kernel (cut down items compile), 52 seconds and yes, it does seem faster in so many other areas........

geearf
April 16th, 2006, 01:12 AM
I've never had any troubles reinstalling the already running kernel.. maybe I was just lucky ?

bunnieofdoom
April 16th, 2006, 04:01 AM
i followed this guide exactly and xserver wont start. it says Fatal cant load module nvidia.

all nvidia related modules are updated to latest version allready anythoughts?

towsonu2003
April 16th, 2006, 04:15 AM
i followed this guide exactly and xserver wont start. it says Fatal cant load module nvidia.

all nvidia related modules are updated to latest version allready anythoughts?
aren't you supposed to recompile nvidia module everytime you change the kernel? have a look at an nvidia howto on how to recompile it. In the meantime, change your xorg.conf: instead of nvidia, use nv.

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bustedcopy04152006
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Navigate with arrows and page up-down. replace nvidia with nv (and if that doesn't work, replace that with vesa). save with ctrl + o (letter O), say yes. Exit with ctrl + x. Start X with startx (command). Once X is up and running, go to your favorite nvidia howto, check out how to recompile driver (?if needed?) etc.

Well, another alternative is to wait for an nvidia expert to reply :)

kalifi
April 16th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Hi,

after compilling the new kernel, lots of these

device-mapper: error adding target to table
errors appeared.

I have no clue what caused them. I've googled something about LVM, but in my case I have only one hdd and I think that LVM is useless for me.

Any ideas?

Miro

Abild
April 16th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks a lot for the howto. It worked great and i got a significant speed improvement.

I have only one problem: When i try to install vmware i get the following error:

Can anyone help me out?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 16th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks a lot for the howto. It worked great and i got a significant speed improvement.

I have only one problem: When i try to install vmware i get the following error:

Can anyone help me out?
Try backing up your configuration, remove it, then try getting the latest version an compile it from source. Then it should work.

Abild
April 16th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Try backing up your configuration, remove it, then try getting the latest version an compile it from source. Then it should work.

Should i remove the old vmware configuration or the kernel configuration?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 16th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Should i remove the old vmware configuration or the kernel configuration?
You should/can remove your vmware configuration. DON'T Delete your kernel config.

Abild
April 16th, 2006, 06:53 PM
You should/can remove your vmware configuration. DON'T Delete your kernel config.

Ok. Now i have uninstalled vmware with the vmware-uninstall.pl script and i have deleted the .vmware dir in my home folder but i still get the same error... :(

Thanks for your help so far :)

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 16th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Ok. Now i have uninstalled vmware with the vmware-uninstall.pl script and i have deleted the .vmware dir in my home folder but i still get the same error... :(

Thanks for your help so far :)
Sorry that I'm not of much help. Let's see if anyone else knows.

greenbmw530i
April 16th, 2006, 07:22 PM
MasterChief1234, I greatly appreciate your HowTo! But, one thing, my wifi isn't working, so I read the bottom of your HowTo and followed the ndiswrapper installation, but I'm stuck on the last step:

5. Install

sudo dpkg -i ndiswrapper-modules-[your kernel]_[current version]-1_i386.deb ndiswrapper-utils_[current version]-1_i386.deb

I'm not sure as to what I put in each bracket. An example would be incredibly helpful to me.

2.6.16 is my kernel version (thanks to MasterChief1234 :D )
1.13 is my ndiswrapper version

Thanks a lot in advance,
greenbmw

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 16th, 2006, 07:40 PM
MasterChief1234, I greatly appreciate your HowTo! But, one thing, my wifi isn't working, so I read the bottom of your HowTo and followed the ndiswrapper installation, but I'm stuck on the last step:

I'm not sure as to what I put in each bracket. An example would be incredibly helpful to me.

2.6.16 is my kernel version (thanks to MasterChief1234 :D )
1.13 is my ndiswrapper version

Thanks a lot in advance,
greenbmw
ok, the brackets mean to put the name of the file in there. Assuming that you compilied ndiswrapper in your home directory:

1. Open terminal

2. in terminal type

sudo dpkg NAME HERE

then

sudo dpkg -i OTHER NAME HERE

3. You may need to install one package before the other.

What I like to do is drag the .deb file into terminal so I don't need to do anything else so do this.

sudo dpkg -i then put a space and drag the .deb file into terminal.

greenbmw530i
April 16th, 2006, 07:52 PM
The thing is, is that I'm on kernel 2.6.12 right now (since my wifi doesn't work on 2.6.16)
What should I do in this case?
For instance:

mike@Jamestown:~$ sudo dpkg -i ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12-10-386_1.13-1_i386.deb ndiswrapper-utils_1.8-1_i386.deb
OR

mike@Jamestown:~$ sudo dpkg -i ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_1.13-1_i386.deb ndiswrapper-utils_1.8-1_i386.deb

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 16th, 2006, 08:06 PM
The thing is, is that I'm on kernel 2.6.12 right now (since my wifi doesn't work on 2.6.16)
For instance:

mike@Jamestown:~$ sudo dpkg -i ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.12-10-386_1.13-1_i386.deb ndiswrapper-utils_1.8-1_i386.deb
OR

mike@Jamestown:~$ sudo dpkg -i ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_1.13-1_i386.deb ndiswrapper-utils_1.8-1_i386.deb

Do this, one may need to be installed before the other:

sudo dpkg -i ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_1.13-1_i386.deb

If that one ^ returns an error, install the other one first.

sudo dpkg -i ndiswrapper-utils_1.8-1_i386.deb

ashrack
April 16th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Can anyone help me out?
Just to let U know, that Ure not alone. I get the same thing with my 2.6.15 CUSTOM COMPILED KERNEL.
I started a new thread here, so please post there from now on about VMWARE error.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=927789#post927789

ashrack
April 16th, 2006, 08:11 PM
For instance:

OR

4 2.6.16 kernel U must use:

since the other one is meant for kernel 2.6.12

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I'm getting ready to compile the latest 2.6.17-rc1. Has anyone used it ? How stable is it/how does it run ?

kleeman
April 17th, 2006, 12:13 AM
You missed my comment above. 2.6.17-rc1 runs fine on my dapper install.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 12:19 AM
You missed my comment above. 2.6.17-rc1 runs fine on my dapper install.
ok, well let's see how it runs on breezy...

zapcojake
April 17th, 2006, 04:27 AM
I seem to be having trouble getting fglrx working after the recompile. If I do the xorg reconfigure command I can select the driver but the 3d is horrid and 3ddesk won't work. I tried a couple of the ATI howto's but apt can't find restricted modules for the kernel. I'm sure somebody here has cured this if they can just point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.

meepy
April 17th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Oh god. I'm in trouble atm.

I did all what the guide said, but I think I got a serious problem. It was building for hours and then it gave me an error with it could not access a file because it was a read-only filesystem (stamp-error?). I could not start firefox or anything else, nothing worked so I tried reboot in hope it would be fixed, grub loaded, and I chose my kernel (the new wasent listed) It began loading and then at "Checking filesystem" it said it still was a read-only filesystem and I should fix it manually with "mount -n -o remount,rw /" I did that but it dident work. I tried in fail-safe enviroment aswell - no luck?

What happened and how can I save my system, I'm sitting on a horrible Windows system atm. Hoping for some help. Thanks in advance. :( :(

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I just added some mirrors for the new kernels. I uploaded the 2.6.16, 2.6.16.5, and 2.6.17-rc1 kernels. The mirrors are hosted on rapidshare.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 11:18 PM

I did all what the guide said, but I think I got a serious problem. It was building for hours and then it gave me an error with it could not access a file because it was a read-only filesystem (stamp-error?). I could not start firefox or anything else, nothing worked so I tried reboot in hope it would be fixed, grub loaded, and I chose my kernel (the new wasent listed) It began loading and then at "Checking filesystem" it said it still was a read-only filesystem and I should fix it manually with "mount -n -o remount,rw /" I did that but it dident work. I tried in fail-safe enviroment aswell - no luck?

What happened and how can I save my system, I'm sitting on a horrible Windows system atm. Hoping for some help. Thanks in advance. :( :(
What kernel did you compile ? Did it return any errors when it was compiling it ?

meepy
April 17th, 2006, 11:28 PM
The only error was something with ns/some file (or something) that it could not access it because it was read-only.

I compiled the kernel in your first topic, top link incl. the patch. And followed the guide all the way, is there anyway to save my system?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 11:39 PM
The only error was something with ns/some file (or something) that it could not access it because it was read-only.

I compiled the kernel in your first topic, top link incl. the patch. And followed the guide all the way, is there anyway to save my system?
Did you get any errors while applying the patch ?

meepy
April 17th, 2006, 11:45 PM
No errors during patching. :(

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 11:49 PM
No errors during patching. :(
Well, since the error came when compiling the kernel, it doesn't seem to be the kernel that caused the problem. Did you do anything else before compiling the kernel ? Like tweak your filesystem ?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 17th, 2006, 11:58 PM
A new kernel is out ! The 2.6.16.7 is now the latest stable kernel.

Kibbo
April 18th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Hi all,

Trying to follow the HowTo, and the patching and compiling both seemed to go smoothly.

I dpkg'ed the file, and it hangs at "Setting up kernel-image (version) ..."

Here is the last few lines in the terminal:

echo done > stamp-image

root@ubuntu:/usr/src/linux# cd /usr/src/
root@ubuntu:/usr/src# sudo dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4.
(Reading database ... 96070 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4 (from kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_i386.deb) ...
Setting up kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4 (ck3) ...

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Hi all,

Trying to follow the HowTo, and the patching and compiling both seemed to go smoothly.

I dpkg'ed the file, and it hangs at "Setting up kernel-image (version) ..."

Here is the last few lines in the terminal:

echo done > stamp-image

root@ubuntu:/usr/src/linux# cd /usr/src/
root@ubuntu:/usr/src# sudo dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4.
(Reading database ... 96070 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4 (from kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4_ck3_i386.deb) ...
Setting up kernel-image-2.6.16-cks4 (ck3) ...
It takes a while to set up the kernel. On my 2.2 ghz, 512 of ram system it can take as long as 4 minutes. Sometimes longer.

aktiwers
April 18th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Thanks for a great guide! This worked out easy and painless for me :)
I have been running Linux for about a month now, and never thought I would compile a kernel so fast!

Thanks again! :)

Kibbo
April 18th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, Chief.

I've left it running now for 30 mins, on a PIV@2.0 Ghz with a gig of ram. And my system monitor is pretty quiet on both the proccessor and the HD activity.

Barring other suggestions, I think I'm going to cancel the proccess and try to redownload and recompile the kernel. Based on what you see in my previous post, does it seem that i've downloaded the right files?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Edit: Is there anything that I should delete or uninstall before I try again?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 18th, 2006, 01:23 AM
You should go under /usr/src and delete the directory that you extracted the faulty kernel to. Right now I'm compiling the newly released (as of 1 hour ago) 2.6.16.7 kernel. I uploaded it to rapidshare because when a new kernel is released, lol download speeds on kernel.org get slow. I spent 30 minutes disabling uneeded modules and filesystems in xconfig x_x I hope it boots.

timczer
April 18th, 2006, 05:16 AM
I have successfully compiled and am using the 2.6.16.7 kernel. I am trying to now get the latest Nvidia drivers installed and working (8756 I believe). When I get to running the nvidia installer, I get to where it is going to compile the module but it errors out saying

" /lib/modules/2.6.16.7/build/include/linux/version.h does not exist. The most likely reason for this is that the kernel source files in /lib/modules/2.6.16.7/build have not been configured."

What am I doing wrong? How do I get the Nvidia drivers to install?

ashrack
April 18th, 2006, 06:31 AM
It began loading and then at "Checking filesystem" it said it still was a read-only filesystem and I should fix it manually with "mount -n -o remount,rw /" I did that but it dident work. I tried in fail-safe enviroment aswell - no luck?

Could U copy paste your errors here.

Kibbo
April 18th, 2006, 07:10 AM
The deb file completed its setup this time. I'm not going to reboot tonight, I'm in the middle of a movie and I expect to have to tinker with ndiswrapper to get online tomorrow.

Good luck with your kernel, Chief, and thanks for the great guide.

dvader
April 18th, 2006, 11:24 AM
MC

followed your "howto" , and nothing as happened , didn't even crash my OS Uname -r gives the original kernel , did run the grub command . Printed out all the imfo ane will go over it again. Used the copy/paste operation to eliminate any typos ...

What is next to see what went wrong ????

dvader

Ps where do I find avatars ?????

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 18th, 2006, 12:37 PM
MC

followed your "howto" , and nothing as happened , didn't even crash my OS Uname -r gives the original kernel , did run the grub command . Printed out all the imfo ane will go over it again. Used the copy/paste operation to eliminate any typos ...

What is next to see what went wrong ????

dvader

Ps where do I find avatars ?????
Did you install the .deb ? It is in /usr/src. If you did install it try running "sudo update-grub" then it should show up. If it doesn't, you compilied a bad kernel. It can and does happen. Just delete the .deb, .tar.bz2, and the 2.6.16.7 kernel folder from under /urs/src. Then re-download and recompile. Did you try using the patch on 2.6.16.7 or a newer kernel then 2.6.16 ? It only works on 2.6.16.

timczer
April 18th, 2006, 02:07 PM
still having issues getting the nvidia driver to work. I went back to the "nv" driver in xorg.conf, works fine. Using synaptic I installed the nvidia-glx driver (7667) and enabled the driver. Restarted and get can't start the x server. it says it can't find or load the nvidia kernel module. Is there an issue with how the kernel was compiled, is it an issue with the 2.6.16.7 kernel? Any help would be appreciated.

Rizado
April 18th, 2006, 06:09 PM
still having issues getting the nvidia driver to work. I went back to the "nv" driver in xorg.conf, works fine. Using synaptic I installed the nvidia-glx driver (7667) and enabled the driver. Restarted and get can't start the x server. it says it can't find or load the nvidia kernel module. Is there an issue with how the kernel was compiled, is it an issue with the 2.6.16.7 kernel? Any help would be appreciated.Older drivers have problem compiling on 2.6.16
You should use the drivers from nvidia instead. Keep your kernel source in /usr/src like it was when compiling and run the installer and it should work fine.

Rizado
April 18th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Latest Kernel Patch (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/ck/patches/2.6/2.6.16/2.6.16-ck4/patch-2.6.16-cks4.bz2) Don't apply the patch if you are compiling a kernel other then 2.6.16 otherwise you are going to get errors.That's a link to the server patch. Desktop patches are labled ck.

dvader
April 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM
master C

followed your suggestions , but before i go any further , best get things right up to here , and here is the error message (using 2.6.16.7)
Setting up kdelibs (3.4.3-0ubuntu2) ...
root@local:/home/harry# sudo make xconfig
make: *** No rule to make target `xconfig'. Stop.
root@local:/home/harry# cd /usr/src/linux
root@local:/usr/src/linux# sudo make xconfig

root@local:/usr/src/linux#

I installed kdee libs , still get the error message

Assistance appreciated

Dvader

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 18th, 2006, 10:06 PM
master C

followed your suggestions , but before i go any further , best get things right up to here , and here is the error message (using 2.6.16.7)
Setting up kdelibs (3.4.3-0ubuntu2) ...

Assistance appreciated

Dvader

I haven't seen an error like this before...this isn't going to be much help but delete the 2.6.16.7 kernel .bz2 file and the 2.6.16.7 directory. Then redownload and try again. Not every kernel will compile correctly all the time. I have compilied alot of kernels and a few of them wouldn't boot. This can be caused by trying to apply a new patch to an old kernel or by trying to import a kernel config from a very old kernel. Sometimes kernel downloads can be corrupt. I hope you can compile it :) It seems like a problem with your x server. I don't know what to do about that...

plush
April 18th, 2006, 10:10 PM
For all you PPC users out there, after a ton of homework I found the following .config entries which could be possible fixes for a problem I've encountered in compiling 2.6.16 on a PPC:

CONFIG_GENERIC_NVRAM=y
CONFIG_PPCBUG_NVRAM=y
CONFIG_NVRAM=y

I tried adding these all to my .config before another compilation, but I get the same nvram_byte error message, and furthermore after each compile attempt when I go back and check on the .config file, I find that it does not have these entries any longer!!! I've tried setting the .config file to read only, as well as a number of other possibilities, but I'm guessing there either exist different new switches in the new 2.6.16-compatible configs to handle this bug, or they simply haven't been implemented into the build.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 19th, 2006, 02:23 AM
The new 2.6.16.8 kernel is out :) I hope it works well on dapper.

dvader
April 19th, 2006, 11:04 AM

MC

I have gone over all the printouts on the kernel 'hoto' here is where I have a problem
with the xserver

sudo cp /boot/config-2.6.14-ck1 .config ....................... is .config require a little more information

Looks like a hidden file or it is part of a destination for the the /boot/config-2.6.12-9-386 (uname -r) on my machine

Can you clarify ?????

Thanks

Dvader

PriceChild
April 19th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Don't go in Devices Drivers first, go in "Block layers". I looked in the .config file, and it's where I learned where IO schedulers were hidden.

My pc's currently compiling the kernel when i just found this comment.

Will this make a big difference? Do you think i should go and try and find this option again? If so, how? I noticed something about deleting the .configure file and starting from "make xconfig" again?

pricey

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 19th, 2006, 04:18 PM
My pc's currently compiling the kernel when i just found this comment.

Will this make a big difference? Do you think i should go and try and find this option again? If so, how? I noticed something about deleting the .configure file and starting from "make xconfig" again?

pricey
I woudn't make a huge difference, possibly not even a noticeable one. If you have a newer computer, it's not worth re-compiling the kernel. However, if you have a 5 year+ older computer, it is worth it.

PriceChild
April 19th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Ok i'll be fine then :)

Or not... having troubles with starting the xserver:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=162611

dvader
April 19th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Compile the new 2.6.16 kernel

After three seperate install trys

harry@local:~$ uname -r

A learning expirence and a few obsverations

Try 1 Apress cd , added nvidia and kde desk top ... xserver problems

Try 2 Kubuntu down load cd just a try but xserver problems

Try 3 Apress cd , installed as Ubuntu , then kernel install

Noticed in the last try some of the dirs were not the same as in the howto used the ls command and file browser to find where the necessary files were

Now I need to install nvidia - glx and the kde desk top and I am not interedted in breaking any thing

Dvader

PriceChild
April 19th, 2006, 07:57 PM
All sorted :) running 2.16.6 patched to 6... and just noticed the latest version is 7 :)

Ah well :)

Thanks MasterChief for the How to!

Oh and there's DEFINATELY a noticable performance increase :)

uqbar
April 19th, 2006, 08:22 PM
You could do the
sudo -s -H
at the very first in order to save all the subsequent sudos.
We are recompiling the whole kernel so we are supposed to be as careful as the friendly root.

PriceChild
April 20th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Hey again... i've compiled 2.6.16.9 (downloaded from the front page)

And all seems to have gone perfectly.

However, i'm trying to re-install vmware player, and it gives the following errors:

kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux/include

This seems wierd and shouldn't happen.

Please help! :)

Pricey

play0r
April 20th, 2006, 04:26 PM
im running 2.6.17-rc2 on my home desktop using dapper right now & it runs great, only downside is this iptables issue.
for some reason when i try & issue "iptables -t filter" it spazes out & says its not compatible with my current kernel or something similar to that. :confused:
i assume its something to do with config-2.6.17-rc2.
i guess ill just compile iptables 1.3.5 when i get home from classes today & see if that works. i dont really mind not having firestarter or any gui firewall for that matter, but id like to take a peek at my existing filter table lol.
if anyone has some useful & informative insight on this problem it'd be much appreciated.
thx for the tut/howto masterchief. i didnt have to try & recover the information from the deepest void of my brain to compile this newest kernel lol. :-#
worked seamlessly the first time around. ;)

ez,
play0r

p.s.
the internet seems to run a lot faster as far as incoming data transfers via http https & especially secure ftp.

play0r
April 21st, 2006, 08:35 PM
for some reason when i try & issue "iptables -t filter" it spazes out & says its not compatible with my current kernel or something similar to that. :confused:
i assume its something to do with config-2.6.17-rc2.

eureka!
after some deep thought i figured out what was wrong. duh2me of course my kernel isnt going to be compatible with iptables if it doesnt have them configured in "make menuconfig" (or make xconfig if you do it step by step in the howto) & both the kernel source & iptables source need to be patched by the latest snapshot of patch-o-matic from netfliters website. all i need to do now is recompile & install both patched kernel & iptables-1.3.5. :-D
but im using the current stable kernel image (2.6.16.9) instead of 2.6.17-rc2.

ez,
play0r

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 21st, 2006, 09:05 PM
eureka!
after some deep thought i figured out what was wrong. duh2me of course my kernel isnt going to be compatible with iptables if it doesnt have them configured in "make menuconfig" (or make xconfig if you do it step by step in the howto) & both the kernel source & iptables source need to be patched by the latest snapshot of patch-o-matic from netfliters website. all i need to do now is recompile & install both patched kernel & iptables-1.3.5. :-D
but im using the current stable kernel image (2.6.16.9) instead of 2.6.17-rc2.

ez,
play0r
I'm using the new 2.6.17rc2 kernel, so to get iptables to work I would need to use the latest stable kernel and compile the latest iptables. Is that correct ?

play0r
April 21st, 2006, 09:13 PM
when i was reading through the readme it seemed as if it would only apply to a "stable" kernel, but you can try it.
also it seemed as if it would only apply to the most current iptables source code.

ez,
play0r

ps
if it works for 2.6.17-rc2 plz post that it did lol :-#

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 21st, 2006, 09:24 PM
when i was reading through the readme it seemed as if it would only apply to a "stable" kernel, but you can try it.
also it seemed as if it would only apply to the most current iptables source code.

ez,
play0r
ok, I compilied the latest iptables and tested my ports. All my ports are stealth and none of them replied to a single packet. Where can I find this patch so I can apply it and compile the new stable kernel ?

play0r
April 21st, 2006, 09:30 PM
sorry i didnt include the link in my last post.

http://ftp.netfilter.org/pub/patch-o-matic/snapshot/
^^^^

you need to recompile both sources (kernel & iptables) after you use patch-o-matic, because this patches both iptables & the kernel's source code.

ez,
play0r

ps
im in class right now (ah the joys of being a full-time IT student lol), but in an hour or two i can tell you if it worked out for me using the stable kernel source & iptables-1.3.5.

play0r
April 22nd, 2006, 02:19 AM
yay!
it worked.
also, firestarter is fully functional.

here is my core & ip netfilter configuration:

#
# Core Netfilter Configuration
#
CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_QUEUE=m
CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_LOG=m
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES=m
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_CLASSIFY is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_MARK=m
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NFQUEUE is not set
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_COMMENT is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_CONNTRACK=m
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_DCCP is not set
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_HELPER is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_LENGTH=m
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_LIMIT=m
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MAC=m
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MARK=m
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_PHYSDEV is not set
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_PKTTYPE is not set
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_REALM is not set
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_SCTP is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_STATE=m
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_STRING is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_TCPMSS=m

#
# IP: Netfilter Configuration
#
CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_CT_ACCT is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK_MARK is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK_EVENTS is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK_NETLINK is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_CT_PROTO_SCTP is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_IRC=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_NETBIOS_NS is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_TFTP is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_AMANDA is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_PPTP is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_IPRANGE is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MULTIPORT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TOS=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_RECENT is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_ECN is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_DSCP is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_AH_ESP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TTL=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_OWNER=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_ADDRTYPE is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_HASHLIMIT is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_POLICY is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REJECT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_ULOG=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TCPMSS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_NETMAP is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_SAME is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_SNMP_BASIC=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_IRC=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_FTP=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MANGLE is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_RAW is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_ARPTABLES=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_ARPFILTER=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_ARP_MANGLE is not set

the easiest way to setup these properly is to use "make menuconfig" in place of "make xconfig".
masterchief you should prolly edit your howto to include links & howto steps to patch the newest version of iptables & the 2.6.16.x kernel sources with patch-o-matic.

ez,
play0r

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 22nd, 2006, 11:39 PM
I'm planning to add pre-compilied kernels to the main thread. I will compile them with performance in mind. I am planning to make the kernels for AMD and Intel processors. Does anyone think that this is a good idea ? I think it would help people who are new to linux get the latest kernel.

PriceChild
April 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
I'm planning to add pre-compilied kernels to the main thread. I will compile them with performance in mind. I am planning to make the kernels for AMD and Intel processors. Does anyone think that this is a good idea ? I think it would help people who are new to linux get the latest kernel.

Hmm... don't really like the idea of that. If people are interested enough to want to optimize a kernel, then they're going to get more from it than speed, if they do it themselves!

Pricey

Didjit
April 23rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
However, i'm trying to re-install vmware player, and it gives the following errors:

This seems wierd and shouldn't happen.

Please help! :)

Pricey

I originaly had to do this for the install:

Install the kenal headers, which I think you already have if recompiling the new kernal.

uname -r
sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-<your version from uname> linux

Then run to reconfigure for the new kernal: sudo /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl

HTH

Didjit

zasf
April 23rd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Hello and thanks for the howto.

I succesfully patched and installed the kernel, then I compiled fglrx module and installed the firmware for the wireless card.

I have only one problem, the cdrom doesn't work, when I put a cdrom, the cd doesn't get mounted neither automatically or manually, anyone experienced this? What should I do?

Thanks,
Matteo

PriceChild
April 23rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
Didjit, it was an actual problem with vmware and the 2.6.16 kernel. There is a patch availiable if you follow my link.

Hello and thanks for the howto.

I succesfully patched and installed the kernel, then I compiled fglrx module and installed the firmware for the wireless card.

I have only one problem, the cdrom doesn't work, when I put a cdrom, the cd doesn't get mounted neither automatically or manually, anyone experienced this? What should I do?

Thanks,
Matteo

I think i might be having the same problem... maybe...

They do mount (check system admin disks) but the icons don't appear on the desktop, or on gnome menus.

This includes the ipod

Trunkz
April 23rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
Hey folks, well just wanna confirm that this lovely guide works. Details below:

Dell Inspiron 2500 Laptop
Intel P3 900Mhz
256MB Ram
10GB HD

Kernel used was 2.6.16 with the ck3 patch. Linux headers used were a 686 branch for the same kernel, and this works fine with ndiswrapper as well :) Thanks again ;) (I'm tempted to compile the latest stable kernel, but this one took around 2hrs to actually compile.. mehhh!! ](*,) )

zasf
April 23rd, 2006, 08:20 PM
I think i might be having the same problem... maybe...

They do mount (check system admin disks) but the icons don't appear on the desktop, or on gnome menus.

This includes the ipod

Hum.. here they do not mount, since /media/cdrom is empty, I can't even mount them manually, can you browse your cdrom? The usual cdrom device (/dev/scd0) is not even there. Any ideas?

dawg
April 23rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
anyone have issues with fglrx/mesa? i can't fix it and i know im running 2.6.16.

mkools
April 23rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
Nice guide! Great job!

I used the latest CK7 patch on a clean 2.6.16 kernel and that worked also for me.

Ehh one thing, it's advisable to deselect any modules that you are not using, otherwise the kernel compiling takes ages even on my brand new 2 ghz Pentium-M notebook.

Of course you have to know what you are doing when doing that, but I'm sure people that follow this guide are a little more advanced users and will ;)

Thanks again!

gschoper
April 24th, 2006, 04:01 AM
First off I would like to say that this is a great How-To. Many thanks to MasterChief1234. I've only been running Ubuntu for about a month now, but I have been running various flavors of linux for many years and since my first install of Slackware ~1996 this is the first time I have tried to compile kernel sources.

I ran into the same wifi and iptables issues as others have expressed in this thread and wanted to share my solutions.

For ndiswrapper issues I followed:

Troubleshooting:

Q: My Wifi Doesn't work !

A:To get wifi working, compile the new ndiswrapper from source. Follow the tutorial (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=104539&highlight=compile+ndiswrapper+source).

To fix iptables I edited .config after running

sudo make xconfig
and replaced the

#
#

and

#
#

sections with:

#
#
CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK=y
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_QUEUE is not set
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_LOG is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XTABLES=m
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_CLASSIFY is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_MARK=m
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_NFQUEUE is not set
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_COMMENT is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_CONNTRACK=m
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_DCCP is not set
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_HELPER is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_LENGTH=m
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_LIMIT=m
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MAC=m
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MARK=m
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_PHYSDEV is not set
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_PKTTYPE is not set
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_REALM is not set
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_SCTP is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_STATE=m
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_STRING is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_TCPMSS=m

#
#
CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_CT_ACCT is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK_MARK is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK_EVENTS is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK_NETLINK is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_CT_PROTO_SCTP is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_IRC=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_NETBIOS_NS is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_TFTP is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_AMANDA is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_PPTP is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_IPRANGE is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MULTIPORT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TOS=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_RECENT is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_ECN is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_DSCP is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_AH_ESP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TTL=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_OWNER=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_ADDRTYPE is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_HASHLIMIT is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_POLICY is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REJECT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_ULOG=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TCPMSS=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_NETMAP is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_SAME is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_SNMP_BASIC=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_IRC=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_FTP=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_MANGLE=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TOS=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_ECN is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_DSCP is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TTL is not set
# CONFIG_IP_NF_RAW is not set
CONFIG_IP_NF_ARPTABLES=m
CONFIG_IP_NF_ARPFILTER=m
# CONFIG_IP_NF_ARP_MANGLE is not set

before building the kernel.

Everything on my system runs fine except I cannot mount my vfat filesystems and I'm running the "nv" nvidia drivers as I have not yet attemtped to install the latest nvidia drivers. If anyone has any suggestions for these I would appreciate them.

Also, I have noticed a lot of peole have been disabling un-needed items from their kernel configs in order to streamline and speed them up. Can anyone offer any suggestions/tips for doing this as I'm not sure what it is or is not safe to get rid of.

TIA,

G

Also, noted in an earlier post it ws suggested that usplash be re-installed to get the splash screen back. I have done this (re-installed via Synaptic) and still get a blank screen from grub through GDM.

mkools
April 24th, 2006, 10:28 AM
One other tip, I suggest using make menuconfig i.o. xconfig since you need al those QT libraries for that.
Just install ncurses5 and ncurses5 devel, it's only a couple of MB and you get the same results, I think menuconfig is even more comfortable.

Btw. after my upgrade on Dapper my Wifi stopped working also.
I thought I might just as well download the newest ipw2200 drivers from the net, so I did, ran the remove-old script that came with it, and did a reinstallation.
Copied the firmwarefiles to /lib/firmware, and I'm back online again within a few minutes :mrgreen:

Efwis
April 24th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I was reading this thread and found a few comments dealing with the kde libs, Nvidia drivers and not being able to load windows partitions so here is some help for those of you with this issue.

first kde libs.

$ sudo apt-get install qt3-apps-dev
$ sudo apt-get install qt3-dev-tools
now you have the necessary files to do make xconfig

Nvidia Drivers.

After making sure you have all the necessary tools, including the qt3 ibs, type:

$ make xconfig
click on graphics, then remove the "nvidia framebuffer support" by doubleclicking on the [ ] so it's blank. save, recompile

go get the latest Nvidia driver from Nvidia from here
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Kill X ctrl-alt-backspace or use ctrl-alt-F1 and type

$ sudo killall /etc/init.d/gdm
Install the Nvidia Driver from tty1

$ sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run
When it asks you if you would like it to make the new xorg.conf choose yes. it only changes the Nvidia driver specs.
restart X

$ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

finally loading the Windows partitions
to solve this edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
in this line

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16 root=/dev/hdb1 ro quiet splash
remove the ro so you have this

/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16 root=/dev/hdb1 quiet splash

save and reboot and now you will be able to load the Windows partitions.

glaze
April 24th, 2006, 03:30 PM
master C

Assistance appreciated

Dvader

You should not be root at this point.

la3r
April 24th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Im not sure what processor family mine is so please help, it is a
"Intel Celeron M 380 1.6GHz"

Trunkz
April 24th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I still need the linux headers for the 2.6.16-ck3 kernel =/ Following the ndiswrapper guide just tells me that apt-get cant find that package.

Don_Toni
April 24th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Please help me, this screan i see every time when I reboot my Ubunti 5.10, I'v got this problem since I install the new kernel .http://dontoni.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_DSC00493.JPG

Efwis
April 24th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Im not sure what processor family mine is so please help, it is a
"Intel Celeron M 380 1.6GHz"

you would just choose the Pentium M option if you are doing your own compilation.

I still need the linux headers for the 2.6.16-ck3 kernel =/ Following the ndiswrapper guide just tells me that apt-get cant find that package.]
Trunks, the headers will be located in /usr/src/linux-2.6.16-ck3, providing this is where you put that patch when you compiled it. you will have to manually tell the ndiswrapper where to look for them using this arguement

ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.16-ck3 /lib/modules/2.6.16-ck3/build
Then start your normal installation process.

Please help me, this screan i see every time when I reboot my Ubunti 5.10, I'v got this problem since I install the new kernel

boot your system to the new kernel, when that screen pops up, use the down arrow key to look for the entry that has [**] in front of it. then tell us what that line was. Usually xorg.conf will pop that up under one of two reason. Mouse Driver problems or Graphics card problems. Let us know where the errors are exactly and we can help you out better.

Trunkz
April 24th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks, although I dont think the laptop liked that kernel.. It suddenly shut off twice o.O Might try ck7, anyone had any luck with that patch?

Efwis
April 24th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks, although I dont think the laptop liked that kernel.. It suddenly shut off twice o.O Might try ck7, anyone had any luck with that patch?
good luck, i personally don't do the patch system to upgrade my kernel, I had to compile my kernel from source so that certain things worked properly. I am running the latest Kernel even though it only shows as 2.6.16 :)

The original Ubuntu Kernels aren't coded properly to support my mouse, plus they are way to bloated with stuff I don't need. :mrgreen:

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 24th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I would recommend compiling the latest kernel, and not using any patches. Sometimes patching a kernel can go horribly wrong...and in response to your other question, you don't need the kernel headers for your wifi card. And for anyone who wanted to know, the new 2.6.16.10 kernel is out.

Efwis
April 24th, 2006, 10:37 PM
And for anyone who wanted to know, the new 2.6.16.10 kernel is out.
actually I was just looking at Kerenl.org. Latest stable is 2.6.16.11 released today. thats at least if you want to compile your own kernel from source. I'll probably install it tomorrow :)

John64
April 25th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Whats the difference between all the ck#'s???

I see ck3 and ck7 most often. i am running ck3 right now but i dont mind redoing it if its better. btw, this is SOO much faster than the stock kernel!

Efwis
April 25th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Whats the difference between all the ck#'s???

I see ck3 and ck7 most often. i am running ck3 right now but i dont mind redoing it if its better. btw, this is SOO much faster than the stock kernel!
only true answer to that is by looking at the changelog to see what has been fixed because of bug reports.

From looking at the changelog for 2.6.16.11 kernel, I have decided there isn't enough difference for me to update mine. The bug fixes that they have added to the kernel were mostly specialized fixes for settings that don't affect me. About the only thing in the changelog is a bug fix in regards to ip6v4tables.

Don_Toni
April 25th, 2006, 07:11 AM
boot your system to the new kernel, when that screen pops up, use the down arrow key to look for the entry that has [**] in front of it. then tell us what that line was. Usually xorg.conf will pop that up under one of two reason. Mouse Driver problems or Graphics card problems. Let us know where the errors are exactly and we can help you out better.
Thank you for atention Efwis, I'v done what you say, but I see a new pop screen:

The X server is now disabled. Restart GDM when it is configured correctly.](*,)

LordMau
April 25th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Hello!

Just installed 2.6.16 ck7 here. Seems ok but I do get the following message at boot and if if try to manually start ALSA:

* Setting up ALSA... * /etc/init.d/alsa-utils: Warning: 'alsactl restore' failed with error message 'alsactl: set_control:894: warning: name mismatch (Mic Boost/Mic Boost Playback Switch) for control #22
alsactl: set_control:896: warning: index mismatch (0/0) for control #22
alsactl: set_control:898: failed to obtain info for control #22 (Broken pipe)'.

During menuconfig for sound devices I intentionally left OSS unchecked.

What can solve this?

TIA.

LordMau
April 25th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Scratch that, now works after reinstalled in synaptic alsa base, utils, et al then rebooted. Not sure if I needed to reinstall, maybe the reboot would have been enough.

Didjit
April 25th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Running the new kernel, I'm having troubles mounting additonal EXT3 drives. These are my FSTAB entires.

/dev/hdb1 /media/max250 ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdd1 /media/max60 ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

When I try to manually mount, it tells me /dev/hdb1 is busy or already mounted. However, its not. Also, using Gnome - System->Adminstration->Disks show the drive is not mounted, when I try to Enable, nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated. I did run into the initial VMWare issues too, not sure if VMWare messes w/fstb....

Tx

Didjit

Did more digging and found this: http://evms.sourceforge.net/faq.html
As a quick fix I edited /etc/evms.conf
Under sysfs_devices polutated the ie "exclude = [hdb* hdd* ]

Now my drives mount ok.

Didjit

Efwis
April 26th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Thank you for atention Efwis, I'v done what you say, but I see a new pop screen:
](*,)
At this point I would recommend compiling your own kernel from scratch. It's not as hard as you think and there is a great guide for helping you along the way. The nice part is you can do it all while in the old kernel.

download the source from http://www.kernel.org get the latest version, not the patch but the actual kernel source.

Then go to this site and follow the instructions posted there.

http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

You can skip the part in regards to apply the patch. Replace all instances of 2.6.0 that he uses in the guide to 2.6.16.xx.xx also make sure you download and install initrdtools from synaptic if you want to use the initrd image like like Ubunutu installs, although you don't have to use it.

if you run into problems feel free to pm me for help, I've done this 4 times in the last two months for different computers.

ashrack
April 26th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Ive compiled a far amount of kernels so am not a total NEWBIE.
When I compiled the 2.6.16 kernel my network card isnt working anymore.

And I believe that because there is no module for:

forcedeth
Which is the module my nForce2 NIC is using. And I checked the DAPPER's original kernel's CONFIG list and there module 'forcedeth' is specified. But with the new 2.6.16 kernel that module doesnt exist anymore...
What am I suppose to do?

Efwis
April 26th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Ive compiled a far amount of kernels so am not a total NEWBIE.
When I compiled the 2.6.16 kernel my network card isnt working anymore.

And I believe that because there is no module for:

forcedeth
Which is the module my nForce2 NIC is using. And I checked the DAPPER's original kernel's CONFIG list and there module 'forcedeth' is specified. But with the new 2.6.16 kernel that module doesnt exist anymore...
What am I suppose to do?
open terminal and type

lspci
post the contents here.

ashrack
April 26th, 2006, 02:35 PM
open terminal and type

lspci
post the contents here.

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (different version?) (rev c1)
0000:00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 0 (rev c1)
0000:00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4 (rev c1)
0000:00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3 (rev c1)
0000:00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2 (rev c1)
0000:00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5 (rev c1)
0000:00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge (rev a4)
0000:00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) (rev a2)
0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
0000:00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
0000:00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
0000:00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)
0000:00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge (rev a3)
0000:00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (rev c1)
0000:01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
0000:02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800]
0000:02:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800] (Secondary)

Efwis
April 26th, 2006, 03:39 PM
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (different version?) (rev c1)
0000:00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 0 (rev c1)
0000:00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4 (rev c1)
0000:00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3 (rev c1)
0000:00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2 (rev c1)
0000:00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5 (rev c1)
0000:00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge (rev a4)
0000:00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) (rev a2)
0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
0000:00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
0000:00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
0000:00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)
0000:00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge (rev a3)
0000:00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (rev c1)
0000:01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
0000:02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800]
0000:02:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R350 [Radeon 9800] (Secondary)
have you tried to install it by using modprobe?

modprobe forcedeth

f3tus
April 26th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I downloaded 2.6.16-11 and compiled it without a patch. Can I somehow add the kc7 patch now?

Efwis
April 26th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I downloaded 2.6.16-11 and compiled it without a patch. Can I somehow add the kc7 patch now?
you don't need to add the patch, 2.6.16-11 already has the patch in place.

ashrack
April 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
have you tried to install it by using modprobe?

modprobe forcedeth

tom@tom:~/network$ modprobe forcedeth
FATAL: Module forcedeth not found.

ps. ATM I am using NVNET driver from NVIDIA for my NIC. But I would still like to get the open source driver working. And Ive also recompiled the kernel 3times and its all the same.

-------
FOUND A FIX:
When crating kernel I disabled:
Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers
which doesnt show experimental drivers

zasf
April 28th, 2006, 03:52 PM
To the people who normally compile their own kernel: do you usually download the source from kernel.org or do you use ubuntu kernel source?

I strongly beleive that ubuntu kernel source (the one you get with linux-source packages) is stronly patched.

If you compile source from kernel.org some functionalities are missing, ie cdrom, usb support, etc even if you do

Note that I'm not talking about restricted modules (fglrx, madwifi, ipw2200, etc)
It is not a matter of configuration but source and how this works with the other packages.

daboochmeister
April 28th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I'm confused, and can't find the answer on kernels.org -- do the stable releases available there always include the Con Kolivas patches up to that point? E.g., i just built 2.6.16.11 -- does it have all the ck performance improvements in it already?

I did see the post earlier mentioning that ck7 is included in whatever release the asker was building -- but I wasn't sure if it's always true, or if on a case-by-case basis it can still be worth applying a ck patch. The kernel changelogs don't seem to say one way or the other.

geearf
April 28th, 2006, 11:21 PM
no ck patch is included in the vanilla kernel you'll find on kernel.org

Defscanguci
April 29th, 2006, 05:57 AM
After a couple hours of debugging, I finally got the package to be built. After trying to install with DebInstaller, I got this:

The link /initrd.img is a dangling linkto /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-ck3
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub .

DebInstaller used the command:
dpkg --status-fd 1 -i /usr/src/kernel-image-2.6.16-ck8_ck8_i386.deb

I know it's got to do something with the link, but I don't know where to change that. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: OK, I fixed that by deleting the Modules folder from a previous attempt. Now I just need help with configuring the ck8 patch. Is there any place that tells exactly what every specific configuration is for? A lot of the infor in the GUI just...isn't helpful.

ashrack
April 29th, 2006, 08:24 AM
To the people who normally compile their own kernel: do you usually download the source from kernel.org or do you use ubuntu kernel source?

I strongly beleive that ubuntu kernel source (the one you get with linux-source packages) is stronly patched.

If you compile source from kernel.org some functionalities are missing, ie cdrom, usb support, etc even if you do

Note that I'm not talking about restricted modules (fglrx, madwifi, ipw2200, etc)
It is not a matter of configuration but source and how this works with the other packages.
UBUNTU's kernel is patched pretty heavily. DApper will be run by kernel 2.6.15. But in that kernel also patches from 2.6.16 kernel are already applied.

But if U use the VANILLA kernel U get a bear bone kernel. Without any performance or other patches whatsover. Thats why we usually apply CK or ARCHCK's patches

zasf
April 29th, 2006, 09:50 AM
UBUNTU's kernel is patched pretty heavily. DApper will be run by kernel 2.6.15. But in that kernel also patches from 2.6.16 kernel are already applied.

That means that if you're running dapper, it doesn't make any sense to compile 2.6.16 source from kernel.org, because it won't improve performance and you'll have problems with cdrom, usb, etc

chucktg
April 30th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Great guide:D
Compiled 2.6.17rc3 in dapper and everything flys now. Much faster:)
Had to do some messing around with config to get firestarter to work but other then that everything works great.

thasheep
April 30th, 2006, 09:06 AM
[edit: improved 20060501]
I have a habit of testing and compiling various kernels and normally I apply various patches/patchsets. Patching the source can be annoying sometimes so I wrote a bash script to semi-automate the process. You tell it the name of the source tarball (.tar.bz2 or .tar.gz), where to unpack it, what patches (.patch, .gz or .bz2) to apply (in order) and finally what to rename the source directory because if you're patching a 2.6.16 source up to 2.6.17-rc2-mm1 and then applying your own patches, you'll probably want to call it something else. It makes some basic sanity checks but it's not quite foolproof. I suggest saving it to /usr/local/bin/unpackkernel and marking it executable (sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/unpackkernel). Call it with no arguments for the correct syntax (or look at the top few lines of the script)

#!/bin/bash

if (( $# < 3 )) ; then
echo "Call script as:"
echo "$0 LINUX_ARCHIVE TARGET_DIR KERNEL_DIR [PATCH1 [PATCH2 ...]]"
exit
fi

ARCHIVE=$1
if ! [ -f $ARCHIVE ] ; then
echo "Archive $ARCHIVE does not exist"
ERR=1
fi

if [ -d $2 ] ; then
if [ -w $2 ] ; then
SRC_DIR=$2
else
echo "Error: Target directory $2 is not writable!"
ERR=1
fi
else
echo "Error: Target directory $2 does not exist!"
ERR=1
fi

KNN=$3

shift; shift; shift

THISDIR=`pwd`

PATCHES=""
for i in $* ; do
if [ `basename $i` == `basename $i .patch` ] && [ `basename $i` == `basename $i .gz` ] && [ `basename $i` == `basename $i .bz2` ] ; then
echo "Error: Invalid patch $i!"
echo "Patch must have suffix .patch, .gz or .bz2"
ERR=1
elif [ -f $THISDIR/$1 ]; then
PATCHES="$PATCHES $THISDIR/$1"
elif [ -f $1 ]; then
PATCHES="$PATCHES $1"
else
echo "Error: patch $1 does not exist!"
ERR=1
fi
shift
done

if [ $ERR ] ; then
exit 1
fi

echo "all's good"

echo -n "Unpacking $ARCHIVE... "
if [ `basename $ARCHIVE` != `basename $ARCHIVE .tar.bz2` ] ; then
KERNELDIR=$SRC_DIR/`basename $ARCHIVE .tar.bz2`
tar -C $SRC_DIR -jxf $ARCHIVE || exit
elif [ `basename $ARCHIVE` != `basename $ARCHIVE .tar.gz` ] ; then
KERNELDIR=$SRC_DIR/`basename $ARCHIVE .tar.gz`
tar -C $SRC_DIR -zxf $ARCHIVE || exit
else
echo
echo "Error: $ARCHIVE is not a recognised archive."
echo "Must be .tar.bz2 or .tar.gz"
exit 1
fi
echo "done"

cd $KERNELDIR
KERNELDIR=`pwd`

# Apply patches
for PATCH in $PATCHES
do
echo -n "Applying $PATCH... "
if [ `basename $PATCH` != `basename $PATCH .patch` ] ; then
cat $PATCH | patch -s -p1 || exit
elif [ `basename $PATCH` != `basename $PATCH .gz` ] ; then
zcat $PATCH | patch -s -p1 || exit
elif [ `basename $PATCH` != `basename $PATCH .bz2` ] ; then
bzcat $PATCH | patch -s -p1 || exit
fi
echo "done"
done

cd .. && mv $KERNELDIR $KNN

echo "All done"

Efwis
May 1st, 2006, 03:03 PM

I will only compile from source at Kernel.org. I think patching is overstated. I compiled my Kernel from the source, and have never had any issues in regards cdrom, usb, etc.. they all worked like the original Kernel that was installed with ubuntu did. Also, in my case, if I used the source files from Ubuntu, certain parts of my computer don't work. mouse, video, Keyboard extras, webcam, and microphone.
I use my computer for my business, if I had to rely on the Ubuntu kernel only, I would not use Ubuntu, I would go through the process of using Linux from Scratch.

zerocapacity
May 1st, 2006, 07:11 PM
hey guys I new to ubuntu and am having fun with this. I have figured my way through it thus far with the help of many great posters and responders in this communtiy.

I have run into one problem though this line here

sudo apt-get install libqt3-headers libqt3-mt-dev

returns the error = libqt3-mt-dev: Depends: xlibs-static-dev (>= 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmng-dev (>= 1.0.3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libpng12-0-dev
Depends: zlib1g-dev but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libfreetype6-dev but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxft-dev but it is not going to be installed

now When I try to install these I get this error =@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install libqt3-headers libqt3-mt-dev xlibs-static-dev libmng-dev libmng-dev libpng12-dev zlib1g-dev lib freetype6-dev libxft-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package lib

: Note I changed the libpng12-0-dev to libpng-dev because it told me to

I will appreciate any help in this matter and hope to help others as I get to know this wonderful OS.

Thanks

Z

thasheep
May 1st, 2006, 08:29 PM
In short, I suggest skipping the `apt-get install bqt3-headers libqt3-mt-de` step and instead of `sudo make xconfig`, do `sudo make gconfig`. More detailed explanation follows.

I suspect the problem could lie in mixed repositories or bad apt-pinning. But, libqt3-headers isn't needed unless you want to do `make xconfig`. That method of kernel configuration relies on the qt libraries, upon which kde is partly built. `make gconfig` will work fine without it and is probably a better choice anyway if you're running ubuntu (gnome) rather than kubuntu (kde). The console-based `make menuconfig` doesn't need it either but you might need to get libncurses5-dev if you don't already have it.

zerocapacity
May 1st, 2006, 08:44 PM
Thank you for the quick response and I will try this right now

zerocapacity
May 1st, 2006, 10:34 PM
still the same crap now I am running into not having gtk installed but it is kinda wierd no?

Z

Edit NVM saw the menuconfig and did that

Thanks

Z

ninocass
May 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the guide it worked a treat and everything runs faster but i seem to be having a probelm with my wireless {ipw2200}

I have followed the help section at the bottom of the first post and installed the latest version of ndis wrapper

i did something along the lines of:

ndiswrapper -i w22n51.INF

sudo rmmod ipw2200

modprobe ndiswrapper

at the last command it reports that ndiswrapper is not present.

Im i going along the right lines here?

Efwis
May 3rd, 2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the guide it worked a treat and everything runs faster but i seem to be having a probelm with my wireless {ipw2200}

I have followed the help section at the bottom of the first post and installed the latest version of ndis wrapper

i did something along the lines of:

ndiswrapper -i w22n51.INF

sudo rmmod ipw2200

modprobe ndiswrapper

at the last command it reports that ndiswrapper is not present.

Im i going along the right lines here?
From the looks of it you need to recompile ndiswrapper. that statement will only occur if the file isn't compiled and installed.

razahel
May 3rd, 2006, 08:30 PM
Hi I do not know if someone hat the same problem before so:
I've tried so compile the new 2.6.16 kernel from kernel org together with the fglrx source available for dapper and the fglrx fails with following error:

Kernel compiler version : 4.0.3
Detected compiler version : 4.0.3
Using compiler gcc-4.0 version 4.0.3
touch /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/gcc-check
touch /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/cc-sanity-check
## Main Make ##
IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 CC="gcc-4.0" /usr/bin/make -C /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x -f Makefile SYSSRC=/usr/src/linux KBUILD_PARAMS="-C /usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x"
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x'
make[3]: Makefile: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
make[3]: *** Keine Regel, um »Makefile« zu erstellen. Schluss.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x'make[2]: *** [build-stamp] Fehler 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel'
make[1]: *** [kdist_image] Fehler 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel'
Module /usr/src/modules/fglrx-kernel failed.

raid517
May 6th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Why have you got a link to kernel 2.6.16.7 on the top of your guide? Is it needed for anything? There doesn't seem to be any explanation for it being there. First you say the performance patches should only be applied to a clean 2.6.16 kernel - then you mysteriously link to 2.6.16.7 (on rapidshare of all places - which never works for me anyway (at least not without demanding money). Why link a Kernel to a notorious warez and virus commercial download web site, when you can obtain it directly from Kernel.org FTP? And as I said, what is the point in linking to it anyway?

GJ

neoaddict
May 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM
What unneeded files can I remove?

I only have a 3.2 GB hard drive, and there's only 380 MB of space left of it, so I really want to delete as much garbage as I can.

Resurrection
May 7th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Not a bad guide. THIS WAS MY FIRST KERNEL COMPILE!!!!!! :p I just installed a vanilla kernel 2.6.16.14 from kernel.org. Latest stable release as of yesterday. Since I did it that way, I didn't patch the kernel and skipped that step.

Only problem I had was the issue of changing my graphics driver over to the regular "nv" one for my nVidia card. When I finished installing my compiled kernel and restarted, it crashed the Xserver, and all I got was a CLI. I had to go to /etc/X11 and edit the xorg.conf file, as mentioned in one of the other kernel compiling threads the guide links to.

I do have a few recommended changes to make the guide better though:
1) Step 6 doesn't seem required. Especially if you are compiling the latest version and not patching.

2) Step 7 should be more clear. Noobs like me have to read up on symbolic links in order to understand what you are doing here. Again, this seems like an unnecessary step since most people probably won't have a "linux" link in that directory. Maybe I'm wrong on that though.

3) After Step 10, no more need to sudo since you are root.

4) In Step 14 you say:

I had no entry for IO Schedulers under Block devices in the config window. Am I crazy and can't see it, or is this been changed with the kernel version I am using?

And only other change I would recommend is remind people about the graphics card issue at the beginning that I mentioned above.

But still a good guide. Thanks for the hard work and help.

Resurrection
May 7th, 2006, 09:56 AM
What unneeded files can I remove?

I only have a 3.2 GB hard drive, and there's only 380 MB of space left of it, so I really want to delete as much garbage as I can.
In my case, I deleted the kernel tar.bz2 file that I first downloaded (it was on my Desktop). Then I went into /usr/src and deleted these files:
linux-2.6.16.14
linux
linux-2.6.16.14.tar.bz2

I left the kernel-image .deb file in there, although I think you can get rid of that one as well. I will wait for someone else to confirm however.

neoaddict
May 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM
So you deleted the linux "shortcut" folder?

Resurrection
May 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Yes, I deleted the symbolically linked "linux" directory. I figured that since I had successfully compiled the kernel package and that installed without any issues, that I did not need the source code files or the directory they were uncompressed into anymore.

I am not an expert though, so don't blame me if I totally screwed it up. I was taking the common sense approach which isn't always guaranteed to be right.

neoaddict
May 7th, 2006, 09:23 PM
OK.

Is there any way I can delete the old kernel?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
May 7th, 2006, 09:54 PM
OK.

Is there any way I can delete the old kernel?
In synaptic search for the kernel and then make it for removal. I would however recommend using the new kernel as your primary kernel and the old one as your "safe kernel" in case anything ever goes wrong.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
May 7th, 2006, 10:44 PM
My custom compilied kernels for AMD processors are up there are two seperate kernels. There is an smp version and a regular version. I uploaded them to rapidshare because I don't have another host. I have sucessfully tested the non-smp version on an AMD processor running 32-bit Ubuntu 6.06 Beta 2 Dapper Drake. Please leave feedback on them :)

neoaddict
May 8th, 2006, 03:53 AM
I'll backup the hard drive of my Linux computer into an archive and put it on my Windows computer (with 6 GB of free space left).

Also, can I apply the latest kernel patches from Synaptic or no? Thinking no because they're for 2.6.12....

Fedcer
May 8th, 2006, 04:11 AM
I had no entry for IO Schedulers under Block devices in the config window. Am I crazy and can't see it, or is this been changed with the kernel version I am using?

In the kernel 2.6.16.14 the "IO Schedulers" can be found under the "Block Layer" menu.

Resurrection
May 8th, 2006, 06:56 AM
In the kernel 2.6.16.14 the "IO Schedulers" can be found under the "Block Layer" menu.
Yeah , I figured that out after I read this thread a little more carefully....D'oh.

Thanks though.

geearf
May 8th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Yes, I deleted the symbolically linked "linux" directory. I figured that since I had successfully compiled the kernel package and that installed without any issues, that I did not need the source code files or the directory they were uncompressed into anymore.

I am not an expert though, so don't blame me if I totally screwed it up. I was taking the common sense approach which isn't always guaranteed to be right.

Well now you cannot install any module related to the kernel.
If you wish to install one, you will have to recompile the kernel to reget the same sources.

geearf
May 8th, 2006, 01:45 PM
By the way, like a lot of distros are having, we should have a repos from user packages, and put there a few optimized kernels, so that it gets automagically updated, and so that there is no need for everyone to build their own.
I'm thinking of that because I'm also an Arch user, and my beyond kernel is getting upgraded often without me doing anything so I'm quite happy with that :)

Sokraates
May 8th, 2006, 02:46 PM
That would be a great idea. Now all we need is a host and lots of bandwith, since most ubuntu-users will certainly want to update to the latest kernel.

But seriously. Before opening a repo, there should be criteria on who can upload new kernels and how they need to be checked before released to the public.

geearf
May 8th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I agree, but we would need a community repos not only for the kernel, but maybe for some other packages.

It should be maintained by a team, for the BP and space that would be the hard part.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
May 8th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I agree, but we would need a community repos not only for the kernel, but maybe for some other packages.

It should be maintained by a team, for the BP and space that would be the hard part.
That would be cool but I think that only the new release cycles of the kernels would be in the repos (ex: 2.6.15, 2.6.16 not 2.6.16.12) that would leave time to experment with the other kernels and make/apply patches. Although I think that it is a good idea I doubt it would happen but it might.

Resurrection
May 9th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Well now you cannot install any module related to the kernel.
If you wish to install one, you will have to recompile the kernel to reget the same sources.
Well since this was my first kernel compile, I didn't know anything about what you are talking about. Can you give me some examples of what you mean? I saw in the how-tos about compiling restricted modules along with the kernel, but I didn't quite get what it was saying. Maybe you can explain some more or point me in the right direction?

geearf
May 9th, 2006, 07:16 AM
@MasterChief1234 : Well let's hope, but we should have one community repos if we want ubuntu to be a community distro and not only canonical's one.

@Resurrection : Well now you should not be able to install something like NVIDIA/ATI drivers and such, because those need either the kernel sources or kernel headers to compile against.

But if you don't need those and you don't compile too much things you should be safe.

Resurrection
May 9th, 2006, 08:08 AM
@Resurrection : Well now you should not be able to install something like NVIDIA/ATI drivers and such, because those need either the kernel sources or kernel headers to compile against.

But if you don't need those and you don't compile too much things you should be safe.
Well I still don't understand the whole restricted modules compiling thing. How do you compile restricted modules, are they part of the kernel compile or just some kind of secondary operation you do after the kernel compile? I don't expect you to give me a long drawn out explanation, perhaps just quote me something from a web page or point me in the direction of something that can explain restricted module compiling.

Steve1961
May 9th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I've just installed dapper beta 2 and decided to use a 2.6.16 kernel I compiled in Mepis (the ubuntu alpha version) as it ran really well in Mepis, and the same config also works well in slackware. The problem: the ip tables issue mentioned in this thread and a failure to start the enterprise volume manager on boot (with the result that I can't mount a fat32 partition). So I decided to follow this guide but got the same problem. I tried using a patched vanilla kernel, an unpatched kernel, the config file from my existing ubuntu kernel, and a custom config file that's worked well in other distros. Unfortunately nothing seemed to solve these issues. I've reverted to the stock 686 dapper kernel - 2.6.15-22 - and everything works again, but has anyone got any ideas why this is happening?