PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install on one machine, move to another Ubuntu 9.10

samcoles
September 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Hi,

I'm building a media center for running XBMC. I'm using an old computer I picked up off freecycle for the innards and I bought an alright Antec media center case that was on offer to stick it all in. Trouble is, I've discovered the IDE controller on the motherboard is a bit knackered so it'll only recognise one IDE device at a time - the motherboard doesn't have an option to boot from USB either.

What I was thinking, will everything go ok if I install Ubuntu 9.10 on the hard disk from my main computer, then move the hard disk and stick it into the media center machine? Or is this likely to cause some problems? Will Ubuntu recognise it's in a different computer and sort it all out itself?

Obviously I'll be looking to replace the motherboard in the long term but in the short term we don't have to get rid of the separate DVD player straight away...

Thanks
Sam

C.S.Cameron
September 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM
You should have no problems moving the HDD from one computer to another as long as you don't install any restricted drivers while on the first machine.