PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Networking broken again!

gseward
September 10th, 2010, 05:27 AM
This is probably the wrong place to post this, but I can't find the right one. Networking has been broken in Ubuntu for years, in the sense that clicking on the Network item in Nautilus did not open up the network. It was possible to somewhat fix this by editing smb.conf, but it was quirky, and you could frequently see only Windows computers, not other Linux computers..
In the early Alpha versions of 10.10 this was entirely fixed, Network opened up instantly, all I would have to edit was the workgroup name and even that was not really required. I just downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 Beta [and a couple of later daily builds] and now it is even more broken, click on network and it hangs for a couple of minutes and gives a message that the wrong application is being used. BTW I have installed Samba. Also if I go to System/Administration/Network Tools, the tools are all broken, I can't even ping a computer that I know the ip address of. I can ping that computer from Terminal, no problem.
So today I reinstalled the August 25 Daily build, and was ecstatic to see how nicely and instantly the network opened up,[several windows machines and two Ubuntu machines] but alas after I updated Ubuntu it was broken again.
Can anyone help me here? Or better yet how do I get this to the attention of the people who can fix it?
Thanks

lechien73
September 10th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I can't help you, because my installation of Maverick is working fine. If you need help, then the development forum is probably the best place to post it:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=385