PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] disconnect via NetworkManager freezing me up solid

thaitang
September 10th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Hi,

I am having a problem with my computer freezing up (almost) everytime I disconnect my GPRS internet connection. I am running Xubuntu 9.04, which I know is not the latest and greatest but the last two releases have sucked *** for me with various problems and 9.04 is pretty much stable... well until now.

I realize the problem is likelya hardware issue with my Nokia phone because it is not until I go to disconnect via the NetworkManager applet does ubuntu freeze up solid, and after power cycling the phone (usb connex) is not recognzed until I power cycle that also.

I would just like to know how might I be able to prevent the phone from freezing me out: the screen totally frezzes, whatever mp3s I am currently playing just plays in a forzen loop, no mouse action, tab keys or any keyboard keys are unresponsive, and I cannot get to shell using the alt+F1-10 keys.

I am not trying to be sarcastic, but I thought I kissed the BSOD (blue screen of death) days goodbye with getting rid of windows. Why does the linux kernal allow a piece of hardware to totally bung things up with no way, according to my ignorance, to intervene and kill the offending process?

I am trying to remember to try and disconnect by powering off the phone instead of disconnecting via NetworkManager. i am hoping that prevents me having to cold restart, will let you know.

any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I used to have this problem once or twice a month, but lately, for the past 3 days, it is occurring almost everytme I connect to the internet and it forces me to power cycle which gives me the heebie jeebies to do.

cheers,
tt

thaitang
September 14th, 2010, 10:48 AM
^bump

I was hoping perhaps there was a way to avoid the kernel (I guess) from freezing up. I am curious why a piece of hardware, which I assume is my problem (usb connection to the Nokia mobile phone), can dominate all resources and force a cold restart.

anyways any ideas would be great. Powering the phone off instead of disconnecting via NetworkMan applet works ok, when I remember to do it, but is far from satisfactory.

cheers,
tt