PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moonlighting on Karmic

DeadlyOats
September 9th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I'm using Karmic Koala. I found a sight that is streaming Japanese Anime (and likely other Japanese programs, but I'm speculating) straight from Japanese TV stations - live. It requires Silverlight, however.

I see that Moonlight is the open source version of Silverlight. I want to give it a try. But should I get it from Synaptic, or am I better off getting it from a PPA?

The Ubuntu Synaptic version of Moonlight is very similar to the PPA one, but I don't know for sure (The version numbers are almost identical, but I'm not sure if the version number is being truncated in Synaptic - in which case then, they may be identical).

Any Moonlight users on Karmic Koala that can give me insight on how I should proceed? Synaptic ka, PPA ka (Synaptic or PPA)?

Or maybe some of you have found a PPA for Moonlight version 2 for Karmic?

joeaura7
September 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM
it should not matter, but I recommend getting the offical build for ubuntu which is using synaptic

DeadlyOats
September 10th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Thanks for your reply joeaura7,

I have found that there are a few packages in Synaptic that, for some unknown reason, seem to be "borked". For example, Vuze. For one thing, it's several versions behind, and Vuze does not support it, and another thing is that it is several versions behind...

I don't know the reasons behind these "borked" packages, but I ask the question about Ubuntu's Synaptic version of Moonlight, just in case someone may have found that it's "borked."

You don't seem to think that it is... Is this from experience? I'd also like more opinions, please.

Thanks.