PDA

View Full Version : Apple loosens reins, allows 3rd party iOS dev tools

kamaboko
September 9th, 2010, 08:04 PM
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/09/09/5076188-flash-apps-blessed-by-jobs-for-iphone-other-apple-mobile-devices?GT1=43001

Marlonsm
September 9th, 2010, 08:11 PM
He didn't really embrace it, he just stopped prohibiting apps made in Flash to be converted and run in iOS.
Now developers can use Adobe Flash(and other tools) to develop for iOS, but that's about it.

I still think we won't be seeing Flash Player in iOS any time soon, at least not with Apple's permission.

It's better than nothing, tho.

forrestcupp
September 9th, 2010, 08:12 PM
This is kind of misleading. You still can't view Flash in a browser, and I don't even think it's right about using Flash in apps. What I read was that they are allowing apps based on Flash to be ported. There is still no Flash for the iPhone/iPad.

pwnst*r
September 9th, 2010, 08:13 PM
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/09/09/5076188-flash-apps-blessed-by-jobs-for-iphone-other-apple-mobile-devices?GT1=43001

But at that time, Jobs issued a 1,600-word treatise about what he considered Flash's issues — "reliability, security and performance."

Those are absolutely true though. Flash's security risks are plentiful and only updated once a quarter last time I checked. Performance? Well I have an HTC Evo and I have flash set to "on demand", so if a site needs it for a video I want to watch, I'll enable it, if not, forget it.

chris200x9
September 9th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I posted this over at macrumors

I just find it funny apple claimed performance issues as the reason it banned them, and people were like "omg apple I love you always looking out for customers getting the best experience". Now with criticism of their policy they change it. To me this means one of two things, either they don't care about customers and their overall experience or it was never about poor performance in the first place. I think it's the latter.

KiwiNZ
September 9th, 2010, 08:16 PM
It definitely excludes the Flash Browser Plugin , thank God, do not want that thing in iPad etc

pwnst*r
September 9th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I posted this over at macrumors

I just find it funny apple claimed performance issues as the reason it banned them, and people were like "omg apple I love you always looking out for customers getting the best experience". Now with criticism of their policy they change it. To me this means one of two things, either they don't care about customers and their overall experience or it was never about poor performance in the first place. I think it's the latter.

If people experience poor performance on PC's, how is it even questionable that it won't be poor on a mobile device?

KiwiNZ
September 9th, 2010, 08:20 PM
thread title edited to be more accurate and less inflammatory

chris200x9
September 9th, 2010, 08:29 PM
If people experience poor performance on PC's, how is it even questionable that it won't be poor on a mobile device?

ok then steve jobs doesn't care about customers. Either his initial reasoning was a lie or he just gave up and doesn't care about the customers. I like to believe the first one but you obviously don't.

kamaboko
September 9th, 2010, 08:30 PM
thread title edited to be more accurate and less inflammatory

I look forward to seeing all thread titles to be edited for accuracy. Should keep you busy all day.

forrestcupp
September 9th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I look forward to seeing all thread titles to be edited for accuracy. Should keep you busy all day.

I'll bet it was the inflammatory part more than it was the accuracy part. ;)

Dr. C
September 9th, 2010, 08:35 PM
It definitely excludes the Flash Browser Plugin , thank God, do not want that thing in iPad etc

That is a decision for the owner who paid for the device, and not for Jobs or "God", to make. By the way the moderated title is much better.

era86
September 9th, 2010, 08:52 PM
So does this mean I can develop iPad apps on my linux laptop? That's what I'm guessing this implies... thank goodness, because I was dreading the fact that I would have to spend large amounts of cash on a MacBook just to develop apps for a device I spent large amounts of cash on.... wait...

KiwiNZ
September 9th, 2010, 09:01 PM
That is a decision for the owner who paid for the device, and not for Jobs or "God", to make. By the way the moderated title is much better.

True, then don't buy an iPad. If one does not like the feature set in an Audi A6 one does not buy it.

forrestcupp
September 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM
True, then don't buy an iPad. If one does not like the feature set in an Audi A6 one does not buy it.

Which is exactly why I'm waiting for some decent Android alternatives.

Dr. C
September 9th, 2010, 09:15 PM

Trust me I wont buy an iPad. There are many better things to spend close to $1000 on. I fail however to see the luxury car analogy. There is a whole industry around after market upgrades and modifications to high end luxury cars.

KiwiNZ
September 9th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Trust me I wont buy an iPad. There are many better things to spend close to $1000 on. I fail however to see the luxury car analogy. There is a whole industry around after market upgrades and modifications to high end luxury cars.

Oh good grief it could have been any car , I used that because I own one and it was the first I thought of.

So we will use Ladas then Don't buy a Lada if you don't like the feature set

KiwiNZ
September 9th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Which is exactly why I'm waiting for some decent Android alternatives.

I haven't seen a decent Android one yet , I had high hopes for the Samsung Galaxy as Samsung make good kit but alas no , it missed the boat.

Dr. C
September 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Oh good grief it could have been any car , I used that because I own one and it was the first I thought of.

So we will use Ladas then Don't buy a Lada if you don't like the feature set

Actually people modify and upgrade all sorts of cars from clunkers to high end luxury cars. It is best to agree to disagree on this one. Maybe I will just pass on the Audi and the Lada and instead invest on a short position or some put options on AAPL.

forrestcupp
September 10th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I haven't seen a decent Android one yet , I had high hopes for the Samsung Galaxy as Samsung make good kit but alas no , it missed the boat.

I still have hopes. :)

While I love the concept of the tablet, the iPad feature set doesn't do it for me. I'm hoping someone will use Android to capitalize on the iPad's lacks, and hopefully, but not likely, offer it at a lower price.

I'm interested in seeing the outcome of their lawsuit over multi-touch gestures.

Dr. C
September 10th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I still have hopes. :)

While I love the concept of the tablet, the iPad feature set doesn't do it for me. I'm hoping someone will use Android to capitalize on the iPad's lacks, and hopefully, but not likely, offer it at a lower price.

I'm interested in seeing the outcome of their lawsuit over multi-touch gestures.

There is also Ubuntu with multi touch support (http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/2101) and Meego (http://meego.com/). Both of these will likely find their onto tablets competing with the iPad. There is more than just hope here.