PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Notification area screw-ups

areeda
September 9th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I get this problem fairly regularly. it's on my laptop so it's gets rebooted every day.
What happens is that I get duplicates in the notification of the top panel that looks like:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=168917&stc=1&d=1284008300

One of the icons work normally the other doesn't it's dead area. For example the only way to get to the wireless applet is that little corner sticking out behind the dead battery icon.

It would be cool if there is a way to get this to stop happening or lacking that how about a way to redraw the notification area with only working icons.

Thanks,
Joe

sorry if this posted, my search skills on this forum are not effective yet.

Gaygerbil
September 9th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Your link is broken bro.

areeda
September 9th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Your link is broken bro.
Thanks for the heads up.

Hopefully that is better. It was viewing fine in my browser. It's the full sized attachment.

kerry_s
September 9th, 2010, 06:08 AM
i would remove them & re add them.
or
i would reset the panel by deleting ~/.gconf/apps/panel

areeda
September 9th, 2010, 03:01 PM
i would remove them & re add them.
or
i would reset the panel by deleting ~/.gconf/apps/panel
Thanks for the tip Kerry.

It seems the only thing I can remove are the working ones. I clicked on the left-most battery icon which is dead space evidently for everything except for "remove from panel" which removed the nm-applet which took me an hour to figure out how to get re-added. Next time it happens I'll see if removing the "working" icon takes the extra one also.

So let me ask before I try the other suggestion. I assume by delete you mean "rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel" there are a bunch of files and directories, how do I get them back (hopefully in the same configuration with all my custom launchers)?

Joe

kerry_s
September 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM
So let me ask before I try the other suggestion. I assume by delete you mean "rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel" there are a bunch of files and directories, how do I get them back (hopefully in the same configuration with all my custom launchers)?

yeah, you can do it that way or in nautilus just press ctrl+h to show the hidden files.

after you remove it & log out & back in, it will be recreated, the panel will be stock, just like the first day you installed.

chriswyatt
September 9th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I'm always getting notification bar glitches, definitely one of the weaker parts of GNOME.

areeda
September 9th, 2010, 06:36 PM
yeah, you can do it that way or in nautilus just press ctrl+h to show the hidden files.

after you remove it & log out & back in, it will be recreated, the panel will be stock, just like the first day you installed.
OH. A log out/log in fixes it anyway and leaves my other launchers intact. That seems to be the best solution for now.

Thanks for the insight.

Joe