PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] JW Player: be gone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meneer Jansen
September 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I distinctly remember that all my Flash/Youtube problems were gone in the past after removing the über crappy JW Player so Chrome and Firefox will use the "official" Flash plugin.

However, in Ubuntu 10.04 I cannot find 'JW Player' anywhere in Synaptic. But when I right-click on one of those stuttering Flash video's it still says "JW Player". I do NOT get the regular Flash context menu when I right click on a Flash video. I DO have libflashplugin.so on by PC. And "about:plugins" in Chrome and Firefox says it is using the flash-plugin. Nowhere in the "about:plugins" page can I find any reference to that darn wretched "JW player". It's almost like a virus.

How can I get rid of that darn JW Player for ever and allways, other than bombing the Longtail (http://www.longtailvideo.com/) company?

P.S. How did that virus get on my beloved Linux box to begin with?

FakeOutdoorsman
September 8th, 2010, 06:42 PM
JW Player is a Flash video player that web site owners install on their web sites for video playback, so if a site uses JW Player it will probably mention JW Player or Longtail when you right-click on the video. There is a JW Desktop Player, but I believe that is Windows only.

Are you confusing JW Player with Adobe Flash Player? These are not interchangeable. JW Player requires Adobe Flash Player (except the HTML5 JW Player, if I remember correctly).

Meneer Jansen
September 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Ooooooooo. That's why I can't get rid of the thing!! Thank you for the info. :)

OzzyFrank
June 1st, 2012, 05:35 AM
I'm having this problem, but only with videos on The Age newspaper (www.theage.com.au). Their video support people are completely stumped. I only ever said yes to "HTML5 trial" coz I was having Flash problems (YET AGAIN!), but it has killed video viewing on this site. Not sure why only there (as far as I've seen), but they're convinced something is targeting their pages. All I know is when I right-click the video box on The Age pages, it says "About JW Player", whereas elsewhere this isn't the case.

I'd really like to get rid of JW Player, but as it has been noted, there is no mention of it via the package manager, nor anywhere in Firefox's "Add-ons" and "Plugins" pages. Also note this situation is exactly the same in Chrome and Opera browsers. So how do I totally get rid of JW Player's plugin or whatever it is that affects all browsers on my system?

Meneer Jansen
June 1st, 2012, 10:33 AM
Have you actually read this topic?

OzzyFrank
June 2nd, 2012, 12:45 AM
Have you actually read this topic?

Meaning? I see no actual answer to me query, so if it is here, please point it out (helpful answers please, not snappy questions). If you're referring to the comment that web site owners are the ones who inflict JW Player on us, then you might want to properly read my comment saying The Age staff are totally stumped, because they do not use JW Player. Have a nice day.

FakeOutdoorsman
June 2nd, 2012, 05:07 AM
The site you refer to is using a licensed version of JW Player meaning that JW Player resides on the web server and is used to display the video to the person looking at the site; just like any other Flash player such as Flowplayer. There is no JW Player installed on your computer. JW Player can also support a fallback mode utilizing HTML5 video if your computer lacks Flash support.

It's no different than the player on YouTube in basic functionality and the way it works. Just because you view a video on YouTube with their player doesn't mean you have "YouTube" installed.

OzzyFrank
June 5th, 2012, 02:01 AM
OK, I'm getting that - what I don't get is why The Age video support people have no idea what JW Player is, and why they're adamant all their sites have the same (legacy) Flash player. And that nothing they've done could be the cause of this (they even were trying to convince me I must have Norton Internet Security blocking it! No, seriously, hehe!). Obviously, I need to email them that info, and see what they reckon then.

So, putting it another way - and keeping in mind that before I accepted the HTML5 trial thing that suddenly gave me JW Player at that site, The Age's Flash player was the standard one found at every other site I visit - is there any way to "UN-accept"? Or somewhere I can tell it to exclude The Age? I'm obviously not going to get this info from The Age's support people - because this issue doesn't exist, apparently - so I may as well ask.

In conclusion, I do understand you're saying this is all up to the site developer - whether they know it or not - but based on the fact their Flash player instantly became another one (that doesn't work for me) immediately after accepting a HTML5 trial, I'm guessing there has to be a way to revert to how things were before I did that.

OzzyFrank
June 5th, 2012, 04:53 AM
The latest reply from The Age video support staff:

"We use the same player on the Age site as we do on our other news sites, so what happens on one, should happen on the others. That not being the case sounds like something is specifically targeting the Age site. That makes me suspect something installed or an add-on is the cause of this, not the site."

Could it be that these guys are somehow absolutely clueless? I've posted this issue on the JW Player forum, and the response was:

"The JW Player is not something that is installed on your computer, it is installed on the website that you are viewing. You should alert the website that they have issues with their implementation of the product."

I'm struggling to understand how the video people at/for The Age are at a complete loss on this.