PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Antivirus Problems.

Artemis Fowl
September 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Alright, so for about two years now, our desktop computer running XP has been running no operational antivirus, which really wasn't a problem sense we never used it anymore. However, my mom asked me to clean it, and I accepted, eager to find all the malware on it from our newbie computing days.
However, we've had a broken Norton product on there. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work and why it wouldn't uninstall, but I think it has something to do with the fact that my brother also installed Mcafe on it. We hadn't known this, but eventually I got Norton off the computer. The problem?
I can uninstall Mcafe. Kaspersky's installation wizard(I'm trying to get Kaspersky on it) says it will remove Mcafe automatically, but it doesn't, and just asks for me to reboot.
Something interesting I noticed is that Mcafe does not appear on the Add/Remove Programs page. How do I remove Mcafe?

mastablasta
September 8th, 2010, 01:51 PM
what does this have to do with Ubuntu?

Anyway it could be that it is already uninstalled. What i would do is uninstall all antivirus (unplug the computer form net first). Whatever does not install i would just delete. then install a new antivir, do a scan see if it comes up with something and if not all is OK. if you have winxp you might need to update it.

another more radical option would be to move all important files to another computer or partition and do a clean reinstall of the whole system, update it (might take a while) and then install the antivirus and some firewall on it.

better yet if you don't need Windows and if the function owuld be surfing the web why not put Ubuntu on it? It would be a safer system, especially if user is not used to care where and what websites they go to.

Calash
September 8th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Check in the start menu entry to see if it has an uninstaller listed there.

If not I believe the following download will uninstall any version. It is a bit heavy handed but we have a version of this where I work that does wonders on our systems.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

From the help pages

Download the removal tool.
Click Save and save the file to any folder on the computer.
Navigate to the folder where the file is saved.
Make sure all McAfee application windows are closed.
Double-click MCPR.exe and the removal tool will start automatically.
Note: Windows Vista users must right-click and select Run as Administrator.
Once the removal tool is finished, you will be prompted to restart your computer.
Wait for the computer to restart.

You may also have luck with the Windows Installer Clean Up utility. Google it and you should get the download page at Microsoft. They say it is for Office, but it works with most any application installed via MSI.

That being said, you are on the wrong forum for Windows support :)

Rubi1200
September 8th, 2010, 02:57 PM
In general, antivirus programs for Windows are a real pain to uninstall, especially Norton and McAfee.

Isn't it nice that on Ubuntu we don't need to deal with this kind of nonsense?

The tool suggested by Calash should get the job done.

Achilles124
September 8th, 2010, 03:06 PM
When uninstalling anything from windows, there is a great chance that clutter is still on your system.

Run the program Ccleaner after you have deinstalled Mcafee and Norton to remove the clutter from the register and other parts of your os.

Did you know that Norton has its own uninstaller available?
http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

I advise you to use that.

philinux
September 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM
@Artemis Fowl,

Please refer to a windows forum of which there are many to choose from

Thanks Closed.