PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] LiveCD + virus

anon_private
September 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hi,

I ask this questions out of interest.

A livecd will run the OS and say Firefox from memory.

What would stop a virus attacking FF while in memory, then waiting for say a visit to a banking site then copying important information back to the attacker (all from memory).

The user then logs out and the disk is at it was originally.

But could not an attcker have vital information?

Just a thought.

Best wishes.

A

davrosuk
September 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM
The correct term would not be 'virus' it would be 'trojan'. As far as I'm aware current versions of FF and Chrome have protection to prevent such an attack from taking place. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

bobince
September 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
In principle yes, you're right, any vulnerability in a web browser that can be exploited on a normal desktop install can be exploited from a live CD.

The difference is that with a desktop install, once you've been compromised, you're compromised for good (well, until you do a complete new install of the OS). With a live CD, you're only compromised until you reboot. You'd have to visit the attacker site, get hit, then visit your bank, all in one session, which would be pretty unlucky/careless.

anon_private
September 9th, 2010, 11:36 AM
In principle yes, you're right, any vulnerability in a web browser that can be exploited on a normal desktop install can be exploited from a live CD.

The difference is that with a desktop install, once you've been compromised, you're compromised for good (well, until you do a complete new install of the OS). With a live CD, you're only compromised until you reboot. You'd have to visit the attacker site, get hit, then visit your bank, all in one session, which would be pretty unlucky/careless.

Thanks for responding.

'The difference is that with a desktop install, once you've been compromised, you're compromised for good (well, until you do a complete new install of the OS)'

Or untill a malware removal programme elliminates the trojan.

Regarding picking up a trojan.

I undertsnd how I could pick up a trojan by visiting a site and downloading a programme. But I have heard of 'drive by infections' where it appears that simply visiting a page leads to an infection.

Any idea how this can occur?

Best wishes.

A