PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to change windows 7 to Ubuntu Linux?

kaiLX
September 8th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Hello, im new here. FYI, my lappy is using windows 7. after searching, looking and reading about Ubuntu linux im going to be interested with it. So, can someone tell me how to change my windows 7 to linux? Is it using money or free? Help me pls.

dv3500ea
September 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM
It is free. Follow the instructions here (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download). You will need to download a CD image (.iso file) and burn it to a CD/DVD or create a USB installer.

kaiLX
September 8th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Ouu . Thanx . Did i need dual part?

romar_31
September 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Ouu . Thanx . Did i need dual part?

do you mean dual boot? It depends on you. :)

kaiLX
September 8th, 2010, 12:31 PM
yah. *Dual-Boot . Im new to use Ubuntu. LOL. so how can i cr8 dual boot? can u help me?

thegod_slayer
September 8th, 2010, 12:44 PM
select the specify partitions manually option.
defrage a drive to combine all the free spaces together.
now just add the swap space( double the size of your ram).
then specify 2 or 3 gb to / partition
and if any space is left make it to a fat32 drive.
then just sit back and let it install

coffeecat
September 8th, 2010, 01:06 PM
There are two main ways of doing it.

1 Create a dual-boot with Ubuntu on its own partition. Have a look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

If you do this, it may be better to shrink the Windows 7 C: partition with the Windows 7 utility.

2 Wubi

This is a way of running Ubuntu within your Windows C: partition, so that you don't have to re-partition your hard drive. It will run a little slower and has a few drawbacks, but it's a good way of getting a taste of Ubuntu before committing yourself. See here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

Mark Phelps
September 8th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Note of caution: if you decide to do the dual-boot route, be sure to follow coffeecat's advice and use the Win7 Disk Management utility to shrink the Win7 OS partition to make room for Ubuntu. Do NOT use the Ubuntu installer to shrink the Win7 partition. Doing so runs the risk of partition corruption of Win7, rendering it unbootable.

Also, BEFORE you do anything to your partitions, use the Backup function in Win7 to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. This will prove invaluable later should you need to repair the Win7 boot loader.

kaiLX
September 8th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Heyy all. thanks for the info. Its helpful.

1 more question.

Which 1 better, continue using Win7 or change to Ubuntu ? Please answer this. Im confuse now. but interesting with Ubuntu. :D

coffeecat
September 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM
If you are using Windows and want to try Ubuntu, then try Ubuntu without deleting Windows, and use both OSs to get a feel for the differences. Although people here may have an opinion as to which is the better OS, no one can tell you which is better for you. Use both, and then decide for yourself.

Good luck!

ronnielsen1
September 8th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Which 1 better, continue using Win7 or change to Ubuntu ? Please answer this. Im confuse now. but interesting with Ubuntu.

Your response on a windows forum is likely to be windows, on an Ubuntu forum, Ubuntu. I would suggest dual boot until you can decide this. I don't use windows but there's a learning curve

jrev
September 8th, 2010, 02:22 PM
If you just replace windows7 by ubuntu the installing is simpler (automatic partitioning) and you will learn ubuntu quicker.

We will always be here to help you further along ):P

Mammut1492
September 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
It's a question of how you use your pc/notebook. If you just want to browse some websites, chat with some friends and do some stuff on facebook, you are fine with installing Ubuntu as the only OS on your computer.

if you need your computer for work and rely on windows applications, a dual boot system is a good way. Sure, you can get a lot of windows applications to run on ubuntu, but sometimes it can give you a headache.

kaiLX
September 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
sure. i will using dual boot for a month then i will decide which 1 better for me. :D

Thanks all for ur help. Im appreciate it.

thegod_slayer
September 8th, 2010, 04:53 PM
If you are using Windows and want to try Ubuntu, then try Ubuntu without deleting Windows, and use both OSs to get a feel for the differences. Although people here may have an opinion as to which is the better OS, no one can tell you which is better for you. Use both, and then decide for yourself.

Good luck!

perfectly said cofeecat....
one should use different OSs to feel the difference between them..
otherwise one becomes bias towards a particular os.

Mark Phelps
September 9th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Which 1 better, continue using Win7 or change to Ubuntu ?

No one can answer that question other than you ...

It really depends on how well each of the two (Win7 vs Ubuntu) meets your needs, works best with your hardware, provides the apps you want/need to use.

It is important to note that they are not clones, that is, Ubuntu is not a free version of Win7; instead, it is an alternative to Win7. Despite what some will tell you, it will not do everything that Win7 does because that would require being able to do everything that the OS does as well as every single MS Windows app -- and that's not possible.

You'll really only be able to make the decision after you've used Ubuntu for a while and decide which is best for your needs.

PedroStephano
March 24th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Found this thread particularly useful for noobs. Thanks everyone <dips toe in water> <creates USB boot stick>

nothingspecial
March 24th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Found this thread particularly useful for noobs. Thanks everyone <dips toe in water> <creates USB boot stick>

Glad you liked it, but this thread is old and needs putting back to sleep.