PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Small Power Icon

imaca
September 8th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Is there any way to make the power Icon at the top right of gnome panel larger in 10.04?
This has been a problem for a while now. For people with less than perfect eyesight (my mother) it is far too small to be functional.
Increasing the size of the panel to something useful on a large screen increases the size of most icons also, but the power button remains resolutely tiny.
Another problem for her is the selection of window edges (too be honest, I find this frustrating myself) The selection area is incredibly small on a 22" screen and impossible for her to select.

mcduck
September 8th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Increasing the panel size actually does increase the power button size, it's just that the icon in the button doesn't grow that much. The clickable area grows, though, and as it's located in the top right corner you can simply move mouse up & to the right as much as it goes and you'll always hit the button. You don't even need to see it to click it.

IF you want the icon to grow larger as well, and don't need all of the options in the default shutdown applet, you can just remove it from the panel and add the "Shutdown Applet" in it's place. It has an icon that grows a lot larger with the panel size. Just right-click in any empty space in the panel, select "Add to panel", find the Shutdown applet and drag&drop it where you want it.

(Also removing all shutdown applets from the panel will move the shutdown options into the System menu, which might be easier for some people.)

What comes to window borders, that depends on the Metacity theme you are using. If you feel the border is too narrow all you need to do is install a theme that has a wider border and start using it. Actually there should be at least a couple of wider border themes installed by default if I remember right. Most themes also have a larger area for resizing in the bottom right corner.

You can also just hold down the Alt key and drag with middle mouse button to resize a window from any point inside that window, thus eliminating the need to grab the window borders.

imaca
September 9th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Cool - thanks for that.