PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] tray icon for totem movie player?

Old Jimma
September 8th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Y'all Ubuntu Community!!!

:)

How to I get Totem Movie Player to have a tray icon when it is 'active?'

Inquisitively yours,
Phil Smith o' Duluth, GA

jtarin
September 8th, 2010, 01:28 AM
As far as I know this behavior is not available. Why would you want an active movie player minimized to the tray?

Old Jimma
September 8th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Hi Jtarin:

Thanks for your reply! :)

I'd like a nice compact icon in the upper system tray when Totem is active because:

I've found the feature to be very helpful with Amarok and Rhythmbox,
to save space on my desktop,
to get rid of that clunky 'icon' thing in the bottom panel,
the bottom panel gets a little too full of 'open apps and nautilus thingys' sometimes, and
because I want to.

I scoured the internet to learn how to put an icon in the system tray when the app is active and came across a 'ubuntubrains' debate on why/why not an icon should go up there in the system tray.

One of the main arguments for it not being up there was so that Ubuntu didn't look like some other evil operating system at all.

Geeze, I've seen guys who have highly aclaimed suggestions just because they've figured out how to make Ubuntu look like Snow Lepard or something like that.

I think we should get over being 'passive dependent' on what other systems look like and doing the opposite just because they do it their own way. Let's just let people do what they want and what is helpful to them...

Sure wish I knew how to put an Totem icon up in that panel!

Phil 'o Duluth, GA

Old Jimma
September 8th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Dude Jtarin:

What is Vladavostok like? Any good jazz stations there?

Phil Smith
Duluth, GA

mcduck
September 8th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hi Jtarin:
I scoured the internet to learn how to put an icon in the system tray when the app is active and came across a 'ubuntubrains' debate on why/why not an icon should go up there in the system tray.

One of the main arguments for it not being up there was so that Ubuntu didn't look like some other evil operating system at all.

Geeze, I've seen guys who have highly aclaimed suggestions just because they've figured out how to make Ubuntu look like Snow Lepard or something like that.

I think we should get over being 'passive dependent' on what other systems look like and doing the opposite just because they do it their own way. Let's just let people do what they want and what is helpful to them...

The main argument is that it's notification area, meaning that it's intended for anything that actually needs to notify the user about something. Running application started by the user himself doesn't require any notification, the user already knows he has started the app.

Having icons for running applications creates clutter, which makes it more likely for the user to miss the actual notifications.

If you really, really want the icon there then use AllTray.

jtarin
September 8th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I hear your thinking on this and there might be a third party application to do this but there is a bigger picture to consider.
"Desktop Standards". Linux distributions must and should adopt desktop standards if it ever wants to be mainstream. The software vendors are crying for it. You know the only thing standing in the way of applications like Adobe,Google and some of the main hardware driver developers is a standardization across the board of all distros and this goes beyond the desktop. Unification is the only thing that will enable Linux to move ahead and surpass other operating systems. Here's (http://www.fiercecio.com/techwatch/story/software-vendors-call-for-linux-desktop-standards/2006-12-12) an article four yrs. old that shows how long its taken. Right now Ubuntu is one ...of the more promising.

jtarin
September 8th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Dude Jtarin:

What is Vladavostok like? Any good jazz stations there?

Phil Smith
Duluth, GA
It's like Plan 9 from Outer Space. LOL It's all jazz:p

kerry_s
September 8th, 2010, 11:34 AM
sudo apt-get install alltray
alltray totem

alltray --help
or
man alltray

to see the other features.

Vaphell
September 8th, 2010, 12:11 PM
you can also use workspaces to get rid of the clutter in the taskbar. Kill that notion of 'one workspace to rule them all' in your head and plenty of possibilities will open.