PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no sound after suspend/hibernate with OSS

lionl
September 7th, 2010, 10:22 PM
):P recently got ubuntu in the last couple of weeks, has been decent so far but the sound quality wasn't up to par so I decided to try and improve it by installing OSS (open source sound from this site: http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi) and removing pulseaudio. Basically I followed the walkthrough on this page to a T: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-oss4-in-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-for-better-sound-quality.html

Anyways after a reboot the new OSS thingy worked fine, sound quality was much better (although my max volume now is way lower than it was before, but thats only a minor problem). Unfortunately, whenever I suspend/hibernate my laptop the sound ceases to work on resume, which never used to happen before. Rhythmbox refuses to play (the little scroller stays still at the beginning of a song and won't move along the line) and there is no sound whatsoever from youtube, etc...

this is the lspci -v output for my sound card

01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV630/M76 audio device [Radeon HD 2600 Series]
Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc RV630/M76 audio device [Radeon HD 2600 Series]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
Memory at f4010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

any help would be much appreciated because its a pain to have to reboot everytime i suspend. I've tried googling solutions but none of them seem to work, would it maybe have something to do with having OSS4 as the sound driver? also its probably worth mentioning I have the propietary ATI Radeon driver installed. i'm not linux-savvy so hopefully this won't require too much complexity to solve, thanks! :p

PS: heres my output when I do sudo alsa force-reload (which is suggested in some other threads for this problem)

user@laptop:~$ sudo alsa force-reload
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/user/.gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.
lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon file system /home/user/.gvfs
Output information may be incomplete.

lionl
September 8th, 2010, 01:24 AM
bump

mkuutti
September 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Seems that oss4 does not support suspend/resume very well if at all. I'm having same problem with Kubuntu lucid.

Sound can be restored without reboot by reloading corresponding modules, for me it was oss_hdaudio (intel chipset). Only problem is that you have to shutdown all programs using audio to reload modules. I've succeed with following commands to terminal (using kubuntu):

$ sudo soundoff

Some applications are still using OSS - cannot unload

29467 /usr/bin/amarok
29467 /usr/bin/amarok
29467 /usr/bin/amarok
29467 /usr/bin/amarok
29467 /usr/bin/amarok
29467 /usr/bin/amarok
29467 /usr/bin/amarok
29467 /usr/bin/amarok
29396 /usr/bin/knotify4

Please stop these applications and run soundoff again
$ kill 29396 # knotify, don't know how to stop it properly, stop amarok normally
$ sudo soundoff
$ lsmod |grep oss # should be empty list if soundoff worked, else manually unload modules like 'sudo modprobe -r oss_hdaudio'
$ sudo soundon

* NOTE! You are using trial version of Open Sound System *
$

Now sound should work again. This is not very handy, hopefully oss4 will get sleep support at some point.
However, if you decide to fall back to alsa & pulseaudio, read this blog (http://www.vidarholen.net/contents/blog/?p=21). Changing resampling mode should reduce CPU usage.