PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Attaching NEW Hard Disk Changes Device Name FROM: /dev/sdb (HOME) TO: /dev/sdc (HOME)

AlexanderDGreat
September 6th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Here's my story. I have:
1x 250gb /dev/sda - /boot, /swap, /(root) - physical hard disk
1x 1tb /dev/sdb - /home - separate physical hard disk

BUT WHEN I ATTACH A NEW HARD DISK (for backups) /dev/sdb (/home) BECOMES /dev/sdc (/home), which is confusing for me!

After attaching a new hard disk, now it looks like:
1x 250gb /dev/sda - /boot, /swap, /(root)
1x 1tb /dev/sdb - /backups - NEW separate physical hard disk
1x 1tb /dev/sdc - /home

Why did /home move to /sdc? Isn't my HOME partition suppose to retain /sdb while the new Hard Disk "backups" be assigned to /sdc ???

Bottom line, I want my hard drives to look like this:
1x 250gb /dev/sda - /boot, /swap, /(root)
1x 1tb /dev/sdb - /home
1x 1tb /dev/sdc - /backups

What am I doing wrong? Is there something I need to know? What should I do? Thanks for reading. :)

sisco311
September 6th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Instead of /dev/sd*# use UUIDs, LABELs or symlinks.

community/UsingUUID

AlexanderDGreat
September 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Hi sisco311, I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I'm not doing anything on my system. I'm not mounting anything on fstab, if that's what you mean.

Every Device & Partition Name of my hard disks are fine, until I attached a new Hard disk, and it changed my /home from sdb to sdc.

Shouldn't the new hard disk acquire sdc ---> since it's the newest, sdA, sdB, sdC... right?

But that's not what's happening.

Any ideas why this is so?

jocko
September 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Shouldn't the new hard disk acquire sdc ---> since it's the newest, sdA, sdB, sdC... right?

But that's not what's happening.

Any ideas why this is so?

Device nodes are set up dynamically on each boot, and there is probably no easy way the kernel can know which disk was connected in which order (might even be that the kernel just inherits the order from the boot loader, which is even more ignorant).
As far as I understand /dev/sda is always given to the first hard drive in the bios boot order (probably has to be this way since that's the drive that contains the boot loader).

The other drives are probably just designated their device nodes in the order they are detected on that particular boot, which can probably depend on several different things (but it could be that the drive set as number two in the boot order will become sdb? Haven't tested, so I don't know...).
If your motherboard have more than one hard disk controller, maybe one is detected before the other (but the exact order could randomly change from boot to boot, which is one reason why uuids were invented)... Maybe your backup drive is slightly faster at responding to some signal, which causes it to be detected before the other...

Why is it so important for you to have /home on /dev/sdb? Is it simply that you have (mis-)configured fstab to mount by device nodes instead of uuid, so your machine now fails to mount /home? Or is there some other reason why your /home just has to have /dev/sdb?
In old grub 1 you could re-map the order of the hard drives, but I'm not sure how to do it, or if it is even possible in grub 2.

oldfred
September 7th, 2010, 01:26 AM
On my system the drive order is the order they are plugged into the SATA ports. That has not changed. But grub follows the BIOS and if I boot sdc it becomes hd0 just for the boot, it still is sdc.

Are you backing up in a way that copies the UUIDs to the backup drive. We have seen where the system then boots whichever drive comes up to speed first and may use the backup as the production system.

AlexanderDGreat
September 8th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Hi jocko & oldred - thanks for replying.

Maybe your backup drive is slightly faster at responding to some signal, which causes it to be detected before the other... - So Hitachi is faster than Seagate. Damn you sea guys.

Why is it so important for you to have /home on /dev/sdb? - It's just out of my systematic thinking. I have 3 harddisks, figured it would be logical that the last one be called letter C. My other server doesn't have this problem. It follows A, B, C.

Is it simply that you have (mis-)configured fstab to mount by device nodes instead of uuid, so your machine now fails to mount /home?

Actually, here's my fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

# / was on /dev/sda9 during installation
UUID=3a0b75a2-a818-4d1e-8111-a0bf793757cd / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

# /boot was on /dev/sda7 during installation
UUID=157cf8ac-e464-44f0-9f70-e8a090280a27 /boot ext4 defaults 0 2

# /home was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
UUID=b6796cf6-a67e-404d-a517-4a7f3213a54d /home ext4 defaults 0 2

# swap was on /dev/sda8 during installation
UUID=204dc857-a6b1-4394-a007-2ca5a8ea5e23 none swap sw 0 0

#automount backups
/dev/disk/by-label/backups/ /media/backups/ ext4 defaults 0 2

Didn't do a single thing in it. But notice home is correctly placed under SDB. So something happens upon the login to Ubuntu and not on booting?

But my sudo fdisk -l also lists SDC first before SDB. Isn't that strange?

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000a954e

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 6374 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 6375 30402 192999214+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 6375 7649 10241406 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 7650 24221 133114558+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda7 * 24222 24343 975872 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 24343 25559 9764864 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda9 25559 30402 38899712 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdc: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x000914d0

/dev/sdc1 1 121601 976760001 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x000703c6

/dev/sdb1 1 121601 976760001 83 Linux

I dual boot this computer with Windows XP. But Windows & Ubuntu is on SDA, does that do anything? Don't think so right?

On my system the drive order is the order they are plugged into the SATA ports. - Yup mine too! But on the desktop the third drive is still SDB.

Are you backing up in a way that copies the UUIDs to the backup drive. - I'm not sure what you mean, I just backup via rsync -avz to the third hard disk.

Hobgoblin
September 8th, 2010, 02:43 AM
It is because however you are attaching the new drive it is becoming the 2nd drive in the BIOS, this then becomes /dev/sdb

fstab does not use the device for this very reason. It uses the UUID which uniquely identifies the drive rather than where it is in the order of devices.

Note "# /home was on /dev/sdb1 during installation". i.e. when you installed Ubuntu the partition you are using for /home was on /dev/sdb, it does not have to always be there because it will be mounted according to UUID and not device.

I don't know why you care which device it is attached to, you would rarely use the device name. You would normally just use the mount point.

Your /media/backups appears to be mounting by partition label so that should always mount correctly - by which I mean it will mount to the correct path (/media/backups) unless you have 2 partitions with the same label.

If you really want to get /home back on /dev/sdb you need to look at how they are attached. Are they SATA or IDE drives? If they are IDE then what is on which cable? If SATA then what SATA ports are they attached to? Are they in the BIOS boot list and if so what order do they appear in there?

confused57
September 8th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I had the exact same thing happen on a newly built pc, initially with only 2 hard drives:
sda = (hd0) 1TB Hitachi with Ubuntu 8.04
sdb = (hd1) 640MB WD with Windows XP
The menu.lst entry for XP is "root (hd1,0)" with map entries.

I added a 1TB Hitachi as a 3rd HD. The HD's are connected in sequence to the MB SATA controllers. Once I added the 3rd HD, Ubuntu recognized the drives as:
sda = (hd0) 1TB Hitachi
sdc = (hd1) 640MB WD
sdb = (hd2) 1TB Hitachi(new drive).

Windows XP still boots fine from 8.04 with root (hd1,0), so that leads me to believe that sdc is indeed (hd1), especially since I'm booting from 8.04's legacy grub. Also "fdisk -l" lists sda, sdc, then sdb, same as the OP saw.

When I press F12 for bios boot menu and select Hard Drive, the 2 Hitachi's are listed first then the WD. There might be something to the suggestion that the Hitachi are recognized before the WD in bios?

I don't have any solutions for this, I just have to keep it in mind if I have to reinstall grub or install another distro.

sisco311
September 8th, 2010, 05:07 AM
If you really want to get /home back on /dev/sdb you need to look at how they are attached. Are they SATA or IDE drives? If they are IDE then what is on which cable? If SATA then what SATA ports are they attached to? Are they in the BIOS boot list and if so what order do they appear in there?

Hmmm, that's no longer true (since 2003???, I think). The kernel usually just assigns unpredictable device names based on the order of discovery.

Back in "the old times" device node names were assigned based on the bus device number, but now that's not a viable solution. Even SATA disks are hot swappable (I don't want to talk about USB drives, keyboards, mice, printers, web cams...).

udev solves this issue by creating unique and meaningful symlinks. Meaningful symlinks provide a way to reliably identify devices based on their properties or current configuration.

See:
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev_vs_devfs
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

man udev
The gentoo wiki is usually good:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml
For even more details check out the Linux Kernel documentation
http://www.kernel.org/doc/

AlexanderDGreat
September 8th, 2010, 04:35 PM
If you really want to get /home back on /dev/sdb you need to look at how they are attached. Are they SATA or IDE drives? If they are IDE then what is on which cable? If SATA then what SATA ports are they attached to? Are they in the BIOS boot list and if so what order do they appear in there? - Sata Cables. Sata ports are in order.

I'm a logical thinker, The SATA 0, 1, 2 ,3 - are in the ORDER I partition my hard disks:

/boot, /swap, /root - SDA SATA0
/home - SDB SATA1
/backups - SDC SATA2
/dev/sr0 - DVDROM SATA3

so I don't think I have an issue there. But in Ubuntu it's /backups - SDB, /home - SDC - quite the opposite.

jocko
September 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM
- Sata Cables. Sata ports are in order.

I'm a logical thinker, The SATA 0, 1, 2 ,3 - are in the ORDER I partition my hard disks:

/boot, /swap, /root - SDA SATA0
/home - SDB SATA1
/backups - SDC SATA2
/dev/sr0 - DVDROM SATA3

so I don't think I have an issue there. But in Ubuntu it's /backups - SDB, /home - SDC - quite the opposite.
You still haven't told us why it matters.
Try swapping the sata cables around and put your backup drive on SATA1 and home on SATA2, but I guess it won't matter. Your backup drive is probably just a little bit faster at being detected by the bios, boot loader, kernel, udev or whatever it is that sets the order... Is it newer or better in any way?

gratou
March 14th, 2011, 07:32 AM
You still haven't told us why it matters.
Try swapping the sata cables around and put your backup drive on SATA1 and home on SATA2, but I guess it won't matter. Your backup drive is probably just a little bit faster at being detected by the bios, boot loader, kernel, udev or whatever it is that sets the order... Is it newer or better in any way?

zfs pools reference the device letters. switching cables doesn't help. :(

dimepag
April 25th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I use dd command to create bootable USB sticks

"dd if=/directory/file.img of=/dev/sdd"

Why do you have to change the drive letters? I Almost flushed away 1.5 terabytes of precious homevideos and stuff, omg fortunately I started the Disk Utility before and noticed that the USB sticks "/dev/sdd" has changed to "/dev/sda"

This is very stupid indeed, Ubuntu Team. Tell me one good reason why in the **** there is need to change those letters when i reboot the machine?

Now I cannot never use Bash history commands if I use /dev/sdx or /dev/hdx and I've been using then about 20 years.

Nice thing this DRIVE LETTER LOTTERY you geniuses have figured out!

dimepag
April 29th, 2011, 08:56 AM
well Now i DID flush 2 terabytes of my personal data to bit heaven

Now my 2 terabytes homevideos etc /dev/sdd1 is filled with .iso garbage when i did wrong DD command

I hate you Ubuntu

I really really Hate you and please you guys who decided to make this drive lettering lottery, you guys wont meet me in IRL never