PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04.1 LTS install fail, error 30, please help

ginger_fury
September 6th, 2010, 11:19 AM
i'm trying to install ubuntu over the top of windows xp. it got 54% through the process before an error message appeared - [error 30], saying it might be a hard drive issue and that the installation could not be completed.

now when i try to boot up (from cd), i just get the unbuntu start screen (with the logo in the middle ) and that is as far as it goes (with the dots changing from white to red, etc).

please advise as to what i should do...thanks in advance...

mrgs
September 6th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 has given a lot of false alarms regarding hard drive conditions. You don't have to take it seriously - yet :-)

Can you boot a live 9.10?

How much memory is in the system, and which screen card are you using?

Doomspark
September 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
When you're at the screen where the Ubuntu dots are changing from white to red, do you have any HD activity?

You can also press the ESC key to clear the splash screen and see what's going on under the covers. Try that and post any error messages here.

ginger_fury
September 13th, 2010, 02:05 PM
thanks for your replies

- i don't know should i try that to begin with or wait to see if there are other suggestions

How much memory is in the system, and which screen card are you using?
- memory 1gb, not sure about screen card, sorry (maching is a sony vaio s480p laptop)

-------------

- hard drive activity ceases
- pressed escape and got various info, so i've taken it from:

source list entries for this disc are:
deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS _Lucid Lynx_ -Release i386 (20100816.1]/ lucid main restricted
Repeat this process for the rest of the CDs in your set.
W: Skipping nonexistent file /cdrom/dists/lucid/main/binary-i386/Packages
W: Skipping nonexistent file /cdrom/dists/lucid/restricted/binary-i386/Packages

and that's it..! (if it's helpful to include details before these lines then will do)

i hope this helps

thanks for your replies so far

mrgs
September 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM
- i don't know should i try that to begin with or wait to see if there are other suggestions

A live boot with a couple of the newest Ubuntu releases should be the first step.

www.releases.ubuntu.com

ginger_fury
September 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM
A live boot with a couple of the newest Ubuntu releases should be the first step.

www.releases.ubuntu.com
okay, just tried version 9.1 and got the following upon failed installation:

[error30] Read-only file system: '/target/usr/share/fonts/x11/100dpi/term14.pcf.gz'

This is often due to a faulty hard disk. It may help to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.

ginger_fury
September 13th, 2010, 05:50 PM
okay, just tried version 9.1 and got the following upon failed installation:

[error30] Read-only file system: '/target/usr/share/fonts/x11/100dpi/term14.pcf.gz'

This is often due to a faulty hard disk. It may help to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.
however, it does run 9.10 from the CD, which 10.04.1 does not.

mrgs
September 13th, 2010, 06:07 PM
It happens sometimes that a machine prefers 9.10 to 10.04. It is most likely a screen card problem (which now is solved for you, I believe).

Here is something regarding the possibly defect hard disk:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1571990