PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] pppoe dns servers not resolving

mur2
September 5th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Hi

I'm using ubuntu server edition (currently in virtualbox). I have set virtualbox network adapter to bridge mode, so I can connect directly to my ISP with pppoe. I used pppoeconf to set up the connection, connection worked fine... Until reboot.

I have set pppoeconf to connect pppoe at boot. It connects fine. I can ping ip addresses outside my network(so pppoe works).
But if I try to do eg. ping google.com it cannot resolve hostname to ip address.

The contents of /etc/pppoe/resolv.conf remain same after restart, that is:

nameserver [my isp dns server ip 1]
nameserver [my isp dns server ip 2]

If I run pppoeconf again, the connection works until another reboot.

How can I fix this?

mur2
September 6th, 2010, 01:52 PM
bump

any ideas?

Iowan
September 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I haven't used pppoeconf, so I'm guessing...
Have you tried editing (or copying information to) /etc/resolv.conf?

mur2
September 6th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks for reply. I added my nameservers from /etc/ppp/resolv.conf to /etc/resolv.conf. I then rebooted. I still wasn't able to resolve hostnames and my nameservers were automatically wiped from /etc/resolv.conf. I guess this resolv.conf is for main network interface only, not for pppoe.

Later I found out that if I reset the connection with poff and then pon dsl-provider, hostnames resolve properly.

I think something is wrong with initializing pppoe connection at boot.

Where is the script for starting pppoe at boot located?

Any other ideas how to fix this?

treesurf
January 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
I'm having this same issue. I have to run pppoeconf every time I reboot to regain a working internet connection. Is there any workaround for this?

dineshs
January 24th, 2011, 09:20 AM
treesurf,
If you are using network manager try step-I in
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9611450&postcount=2
Reboot and see if sudo pon dsl-provider works fine

treesurf
January 24th, 2011, 10:05 AM
dineshs, thanks for the suggestion. I actually have found another tutorial on the web for manually editing the /etc/network/interfaces in a different way.

Here: http://kvegroeg.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/command-pppoeconf-problem-at-reboot/

Now I only need to "sudo pon dsl-provider" on reboot. However, it would be nice not to have to do anything at all. It's too bad the reboot option in pppoeconf doesn't work properly.

treesurf
January 24th, 2011, 10:24 AM
OK, I tried editing /etc/network/interfaces as per your suggestion and the effect is the same as in the tutorial I linked (interesting!). I then rebooted and tried to configure Network Manager to connect to the internet using the DSL connection but had no luck. So I did sudo pon dsl-provider and I'm reconnected again.

Is there no way to make Network Manager do this automatically?

EDIT: OK, figured out I was making a mistake with Network Manager. Got it sorted out now, many thanks!!!