PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04 Cannot get WIFI to work

DeanHeathen
September 4th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Please help me. I love the look and feel of Ubuntu Studio, and Iḿ completely tired of Windows. However, I cannot get my WIFI to work, and Iīve been trolling forums for hours on end to find a solution. My machine is an HP Compaq nw8440 with an Intel Pro Wireless 3945. eth0 works just fine, but I canīt get wlan0 working for s***. Iḿ not a complete noob to Linux, but I am no genius either. What do you need to know, and what do I need to do to get this to work.

There is a WIFI power on/off button above the keyboard, but it does nothing. Also, I notice that while some forums show there is a tab in the network manager labeled DEVICES, there is no such tab on mine. I am completely stumped. Please donīt make me go back to Windows!

~Dean

DeanHeathen
September 4th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Wow, so lots of views and no replies. Good news, though! I did find a workable solution.

open the Package Manager:
Make sure you uninstall network-manager, and if you installed this one, network-manager-gnome, you have to uninstall that as well.
Install wicd.
And the problems end there.

Some say the connection randomly drops, but I've been using mine for at least 8 hours and haven't run into that yet.

I hope this helps someone else. Now on to getting dual boot to work in GRUB... (that's my current nightmare).

~Dean