PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Would like to optimize DSL connection/performance

Emporata
September 4th, 2010, 02:13 AM
My DSL is working and my computer is on line but I would like to optimize my connection for better speed. I found a utility for this at speedguide.net but it was written for Windows. Something like this for ubuntu would be great. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

Brandon Williams
September 6th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Are you getting some indication that your computer is not making optimum use of your DSL connection? If so, what kind of problems are you seeing?

I ask because I know that the default TCP/IP configuration in Linux is actually quite good. Unless you're seeing an obvious problem, it's unlikely that you'll be able to generate a noticeable improvement by tweaking any the TCP/IP conifg parameters. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's probably not worth the effort unless you are sure that your system is not making full use of the available bandwidth.

Emporata
September 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I think the issue here is not specific to the Ubuntu computer. I am going to try to do some things to eliminate noise on the line and then will post here afterwards if they work. Thanks!

Emporata
November 23rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
I ended up solving much of my problem with a new modem-router combo which functions as a server, handing out IPs. I am also thinking about installing a POT splitter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/SUTTLE-Outdoor-POTS-Splitter/dp/B00171AJXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290522173&sr=8-1 on the outside of the house to better the connection.