PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound SB Audigy Ubuntu 10.04

Priswell
September 4th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I recently upgraded to 10.04 on my homebuilt computer. I have Soundblaster Audigy as a soundcard. What little sound I get is horribly scratchy with about 3/4 scratchy, 1/4 sound.

I have checked to see that the speakers work by testing them on another machine. About halfway through this process, noted below, I bought a new Soundblaster Audigy card and installed that.

aplay -l gives me:

** (gnome-alsamixer:2001): WARNING **: gam_toggle_get_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Analog Source"!

** (gnome-alsamixer:2001): WARNING **: gam_toggle_get_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Digital Source"!

** (gnome-alsamixer:2001): WARNING **: gam_toggle_get_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Shared Mic/Line in"!
dennis@tilda:~$ gnome-alsamixer

** (gnome-alsamixer:2008): WARNING **: gam_toggle_get_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Analog Source"!

** (gnome-alsamixer:2008): WARNING **: gam_toggle_get_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Digital Source"!

** (gnome-alsamixer:2008): WARNING **: gam_toggle_get_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Shared Mic/Line in"!

** (gnome-alsamixer:2014): WARNING **: gam_toggle_get_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Analog Source"!

** (gnome-alsamixer:2014): WARNING **: gam_toggle_get_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Digital Source"!

** (gnome-alsamixer:2014): WARNING **: gam_toggle_get_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Shared Mic/Line in"!

** (gnome-alsamixer:2026): WARNING **: gam_toggle_get_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Analog Source"!

** (gnome-alsamixer:2026): WARNING **: gam_toggle_get_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Digital Source"!

** (gnome-alsamixer:2026): WARNING **: gam_toggle_get_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Shared Mic/Line in"!
dennis@tilda:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 0: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 1: ca0106 [CA0106]
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 2: ca0106 [CA0106]
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 3: ca0106 [CA0106]

lspci -v (sound segment) gives me:

01:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs CA0106 Soundblaster
Subsystem: Creative Labs Device 100a
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
I/O ports at ac00 [size=32]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: CA0106
Kernel modules: snd-ca0106

so I know that my module is: snd-ca0106

I have played with the settings under System > Preferences > Sound Preferences and uninstalled and reinstalled gnome-alsamixer. From there, I bought an installed a new Soundblaster Audigy card. Then, I reinstalled the entire OS, hoping for a miracle. No dice. I keep going round and round. Any help?

lidex
September 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Audigy
If your Creative Audigy card is not giving you any sound, make sure the analog/digital check box in your sound mixer is unchecked. Updates seem to reset this switch regularly so keep this in mind.

Priswell
September 9th, 2010, 02:58 AM
make sure the analog/digital check box in your sound mixer is unchecked. Updates seem to reset this switch regularly so keep this in mind.

Thank you for responding. The analog/digital check box is unchecked. Any other ideas?

Priswell
September 30th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Can anybody offer any additional help? Here's my lspci -v for my sound:

01:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs CA0106 Soundblaster
Subsystem: Creative Labs Device 1006
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
I/O ports at ac00 [size=32]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: CA0106
Kernel modules: snd-ca0106

Is there any other information I can give you to help me?

lidex
October 1st, 2010, 12:25 AM
Use the alsa-info-script to provide detailed information.
Run this command in a terminal:

wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
Choose the upload option and provide a link for the output.

Priswell
December 6th, 2010, 10:42 PM
The link you gave me generated this link:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=60807b55367181c971968df37d67ea62a1e837ad

What do I do next?

AnxietyDrive
December 8th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I took the liberty of using your data gathering script and generating this link to my system data as well .

I have no sound what so ever On a fresh 10.04 install
An pointers would be greatly appreciated

AD

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=8e5ee461cacdc948e621b8e7024e2fc55ecd5879

lidex
December 8th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I took the liberty of using your data gathering script and generating this link to my system data as well .

I have no sound what so ever On a fresh 10.04 install
An pointers would be greatly appreciated

AD

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=8e5ee461cacdc948e621b8e7024e2fc55ecd5879

Firstly, your code is an AC'97 driver , not hda-intel. More specifically snd-intel8x0, so remove any lines you added to alsa-base.conf and update your alsa install via the link in my sig.

AnxietyDrive
December 9th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Hi Lidex

Couldn't recall the changes made to alsa-base.cfg if any so I decided to put a fresh 10.04 install in and send you a new link.

So apart from the Ubuntu updates after installation this is vanilla.

If you need any further info just let me know.

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=ca9cf62a4c74a035c17ffd198a8c812c114f6665

lidex
December 9th, 2010, 02:43 AM
@AnxietyDrive
OK. Let's try this first. Rather than a full upgrade to alsa try updating your alsa-driver-modules.
Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
Add the ubuntu-audio-dev ppa:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
sudo apt-get update
Now install:

sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r)
Reboot
Check your levels in alsamixer.

alsamixer
Press <F6> to select the correct soundcard.
Press <F3> to show playback levels. <F4> selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]
Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels. <M> to mute/unmute.
Go to "System ->Preferences ->Sound" and make sure the correct soundcard is default and adjust your profile on the hardware tab.
On the output tab choose the correct device.

AnxietyDrive
December 9th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Hi lidex.

Did all above to no avail!

I think first before we go on and I end up wasting your time, I need to take a step back and do a little hardware testing.

The history is that this is a replacement MB that I needed to replace one that died and a new gfx card as i needed one with Model 2 shader capability to run Eve Online.

So this board/cpu is second hand, though from a reputable supplier. The GFX is new though quite an old model.

So before we go an further I'm going to make sure that the MB/sound chip works .... Not sure what's the easiest way.. so I'm going to install XP just to test that the output does work - then put a new install of 10.04 on and get back to you here.

Ill post up all the system tech info and any other details and see where to go.

If however - there's a MB fault - Ill need to raid the piggy bank :(

Thanks for now

AD

otakuj462
December 23rd, 2010, 04:12 PM
Audigy
If your Creative Audigy card is not giving you any sound, make sure the analog/digital check box in your sound mixer is unchecked. Updates seem to reset this switch regularly so keep this in mind.

I was having the same issue with this sound card on Ubuntu 10.04: no sound. Switching the Analog/Digital checkbox in alsamixer solved this problem for me and I now have perfect audio. Thanks for the tip!

moma
December 23rd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hello,
I have also old SoundBlaster Audigy 2 sound card. I that model the settings should be set like this... (http://www.futuredesktop.org/#guides) (follow the link to a picture).

Merry XMas.

Priswell
January 6th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Thank you for responding, but I don't have some of those settings. The only thing that gives me any output at all is clicking the IEC958 button, but it's horribly raspy and not very loud. I also get this output in terminal:

(gnome-alsamixer:4745): WARNING **: gam_toggle_set_state (). No idea what to do for mixer element "Digital Source"!

Here's a screenshot of my alsamixer

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cngr39&s=7

Tomlin
July 25th, 2011, 05:40 PM
@AnxietyDrive
OK. Let's try this first. Rather than a full upgrade to alsa try updating your alsa-driver-modules.
Using a Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
Add the ubuntu-audio-dev ppa:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
sudo apt-get update
Now install:

sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r)
Reboot
Check your levels in alsamixer.

alsamixer
Press <F6> to select the correct soundcard.
Press <F3> to show playback levels. <F4> selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]
Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels. <M> to mute/unmute.
Go to "System ->Preferences ->Sound" and make sure the correct soundcard is default and adjust your profile on the hardware tab.
On the output tab choose the correct device.

Thanx lidex. This is one BIG sticky, but your solution got my sound back on 10.10. I wish everyone good luck.

lkjoel
July 27th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Try Sound Troubleshooting in my signature