PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] another wired connection problem, won't always connect

badbradmx
September 3rd, 2010, 06:59 PM
ive just installed 10.04 on a mates computer, and the wired connection is being very touchy, it wont connect then after a couple restarts it might connect. once ive somehow got it to connect it works flawlessly no drop outs or anything. dont wanna give this back with this kind of problem, any ideas?

MaindotC
September 3rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
You should try and narrow down where the problem lays because it could be either the ubuntu machine or whatever device is connected to it. Is it connected to an access point? If so, is the AP configured properly or are there any settings (like mac filtering or 802.1x) that could cause a disruption of service? Can you try connecting it to another device - be it an access point or other machine and see if connectivity works between them?

badbradmx
September 3rd, 2010, 07:28 PM
basically i have a whole host of PC's connected to the net and each other via a wireless router.

i have an ubuntu machine, vista, XP, windows 7 a samba server. its this machine and its settings, ive not had to fiddle with the others, and i dunno where to start to debug this

MaindotC
September 3rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
and i dunno where to start to debug this

I told you where to start.

badbradmx
September 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
but those arent the problems, the router is not at fault, i know that for a fact. it just wont connect every time it boots. wont connect to any other PC on the network. just comes up with "you are not online, connection disconnected"

MaindotC
September 3rd, 2010, 09:11 PM
I cannot help you further. Good luck!

Iowan
September 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
On-board a little late...
What is the router (brand, etc.)? I presume you're trying to get DHCP address? When it won't connect, try sudo dhclient - post results.

badbradmx
September 4th, 2010, 10:20 PM
guys, and girls, maybe, i appreciate the responses but he was round and needed the computer so i had to bite the bullet and install windows, without the time to troubleshoot i had no alternative.

But...i may be returning to this post in a couple months as we have almost an identical PC (6 months difference but same model) after the paid for AV runs out, may encounter the same problem

smartgilli
September 8th, 2010, 07:37 AM
hi, ):P
Try this and let me know if it had helped .

http://ssatish.wordpress.com/2010/08/22/wired-connection-disconnected/

-
Satish