PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remote Desktop

twjames1966
September 3rd, 2010, 02:23 AM
Hi all ):P, this is my first post to the forums.

I apologize now if this has been previously discussed.

Intro - I just installed Ubuntu 10.4 on a older HP box, it works great. I actually had an older SB Live sound card that wouldn't work on Win 7 so I threw it in the Box with Ubuntu and that works great as well (automatically configured).

My question (issue) is this, I'm am using tightVNC on a Win7 box to remote into the Ubuntu Box (LAN Only). I believe I have set the correct settings for the remote on the linux Box.

I can connect from the Win7 box fine and see the desktop of the linux box fine as well. What it doesn't do is refresh the screen on the Win7 box as I move the cursor around.

If I look over at the linux box I can see that I am highlighting icons and pull down menus from the Win7 Box, but it just does not display that on the Win7 box I am remote from, I can only see the initial desktop screen from when the connection was first made.

Can someone help in why this may be happening, or suggest a better way to remote between these two platforms other than tightVNC?

TIA

Tim

JadenKarlac
February 4th, 2011, 09:22 AM
This worked for me, and several other people on a different forum. Move "System|Preferences|Appearance|Visual Effects" from Normal all the way down to None. VNC works.