PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best config for a media center?

JD32
September 3rd, 2010, 12:21 AM
So I'm thinking about building a custom system to be a server/media center. I want it so play HD videos to my LCD with out even flinching. (I tried this with an old tower of mine and it keep crashing). And i want to do simple samba/ftp transfer with it to my laptops. nothing extreme on the server part my focus is the video.

Anyway ive never built a syestem from the ground up and im kinda overwhelmed and have no clue where to start. I thought CPU/mother board would be ideal or mayb should i start at that graphics card? but i was thinking maybe an i5 or core 2 dou. I wanna stay around $500. I already have optical drives and stuff so really i just need CPU, Board, Ram and i was gonna try to use an old case.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here to what a good config would be? and if im high for thinking i'm gonna stay under $500 haha.

Thanks!

Cypress421
September 3rd, 2010, 12:53 AM
Hardware:

CPU: AMD Athlon x2 250

MOBO: GIgabyte 890GPT-UD3H ATX

RAM: 4GB Kingston Value RAM Kit

GPU: Onboard (this should work)

SOUND: Onboard

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 550

You can use Ubuntu 64-bit with this and use MediaTomb to shuffle your files across. This system has the grunt to play 1080p .MKV's. The other bits like the case you can choose. Not 100% sure about the GPU in terms of acceleration (any other suggestions ?), but the rest is fine.

JD32
September 3rd, 2010, 02:38 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Phenom-II-1055T-X6-GigaByte-GA-890GPA-UD3H-Combo-/300423778540?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f2a710ec

What do you think of this???

JD32
September 3rd, 2010, 02:46 AM
CPU: AMD Athlon x2 250

You think that dual core will be good? i was thinking a quad-core

Cypress421
September 3rd, 2010, 02:59 AM
You don't need a quad unless you are encoding. Dual is fine. That combo is fine, but you won't be using even half of the power.

JD32
September 3rd, 2010, 03:03 AM
You don't need a quad unless you are encoding. Dual is fine. That combo is fine, but you won't be using even half of the power.

Ok thats good to no. i just dont want to be building a new system in a year, but i guess i can upgrade the CPU as i need.

Case + Power supply suggestions?

wilbbe01
September 3rd, 2010, 03:04 AM
So I'm thinking about building a custom system to be a server/media center. I want it so play HD videos to my LCD with out even flinching. (I tried this with an old tower of mine and it keep crashing). And i want to do simple samba/ftp transfer with it to my laptops. nothing extreme on the server part my focus is the video.

Anyway ive never built a syestem from the ground up and im kinda overwhelmed and have no clue where to start. I thought CPU/mother board would be ideal or mayb should i start at that graphics card? but i was thinking maybe an i5 or core 2 dou. I wanna stay around $500. I already have optical drives and stuff so really i just need CPU, Board, Ram and i was gonna try to use an old case.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here to what a good config would be? and if im high for thinking i'm gonna stay under $500 haha.

Thanks!

Oh boy, "old case" I said that 2 times over the past 8 years......guess what :)....the new ones are shiny.