PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NVIDIA drivers updates

ccc2007chaos
September 2nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hi,
I have installed the restricted drivers for NVIDIA graphics card and has not been updated. I'm stuck with the version 195.36.24 while for linux and specific my graphics card driver version has reached 256.44 released on 2010.08.02. Is there going to be any update from the Ubuntu updates? Do we have to wait for update from Ubuntu or there is no reason to not update by downloading the drivers from the NVIDIA site?

Thanks for any information.

tripmix
September 2nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
Download the driver, it's a major improvement. It's easy just download it then run
sudo apt-get install module-assistant
sudo module-assistant update
sudo module-assistant prepare
Then you need to exit to console by pressing ctrl+alt+f1 then

cd /where/you/downladed/driver
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
sudo sh NVIDIA*
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

ccc2007chaos
September 2nd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Download the driver, it's a major improvement. It's easy just download it then run
sudo module-assistant prepareThen you need to exit to console by pressing ctrl+alt+f1 then

sudo sh NVIDIA*

and then how do i exit from console?

DeMus
September 2nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
sudo module-assistant prepare
Then you need to exit to console by pressing ctrl+alt+f1 then

sudo sh NVIDIA*

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop (or start) is valid for older version sof Ubuntu. For 10.04 (Lucid) it is:

sudo service gdm stop (or start)

ccc2007chaos
September 2nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
"The distribution-provided pre-installed script failed. Continue installation anyway?" Yes/No. What should i choose? If choose no it just does not install anything but if i install will be any problem occurred?

tripmix
September 2nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
Thats OK, it just means it didn't find a precompiled driver for ubuntu, thats normal. Just choose yes and accept on everything except the last one after it's finished installing that asks if you want it to auto edit xorg.conf. I just press enter all the way through as it normally automatically selects the choices you want.

ccc2007chaos
September 3rd, 2010, 01:50 AM
Well, got some troubles with this.

I did what you (both) said :
Download the driver,

sudo module-assistant prepareCtrl+Alt+F1
i logged in

sudo service gdm stop // (sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop also worked in first attempt)
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.53.run
// Hit yes/accept/etc to everything even to make xorg.conf
// (back to console)
sudo service gdm startEverything seemed ok, but when i restarted a window appeared that said "Ubuntu runs on low resolution" or something like that. It had some options then to choose such as Restart X, Reconfigure hardware and some more. I tried some of the options and logged in low resolution ( i think 800x600 ) and tried to find out. The nvidia-settings couldn't find the driver and said to try "sudo nvidia-xconfig" to make a configuration file automatically. I tried sometimes more with restarts and other but nothing. So i boot ubuntu from usb to see how the files are configured there. Well, there was no /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the filesystem of ubuntu ( in the usb ), so i though it would be good to deleted so i renamed in the ubuntu partition the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to something else just to not be found by the os.
I reboot to Ubuntu ( hard drive ) and the graphics where good. but no graphics card driver of nvidia was in use. so i uninstalled ( remove ) from the restricted drivers the activated driver and i restarted. i reinstalled the 256.53 driver with the method described in the beginning, restarted and here i am in the logon screen. i login and again low graphics. i opened nvidia-settings and i could configure successfully the graphic card. i saved the conf file and restarted. but the resolution after the login screen were again not fixed in 1280x800 as i saved in xorg.conf!
Well the thing is that i used a button never used before and the resolution changed magically! Fn+F7! It's a special function button that has an (LCD/display out) icon. I don't know how it came to me, but it needs to be pressed after every login.
Do you know something about that? It happens to you too?

Linuxforall
September 3rd, 2010, 03:33 AM
Easist and safest way to update to latest nvidia, ati and Intel is via x-swat ppa

sudo add-apt-repositor ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

At this point, your pre-existing nvidia or intel or ati would be automatically updated and if you install via hardware applet, you will have latest driver for your card.

ccc2007chaos
September 3rd, 2010, 04:30 AM
Easist and safest way to update to latest nvidia, ati and Intel is via x-swat ppa

sudo add-apt-repository* ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

At this point, your pre-existing nvidia or intel or ati would be automatically updated and if you install via hardware applet, you will have latest driver for your card.

So i have to reinstall the drivers from "Hardware Drivers" ? :-k

*(add the 'y' for no one to get confused)

NoNameWill
September 3rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
I have never had the nvidia driver "stick" with installing through the repository. It would fail after a few restarts.
Today I had to install them again after a update. The way described by tripmix. The only command I didn't use was

sudo service gdm stopbut that is because I am still learning.

Thanks for sharing. Now I know how to get to tty from terminal.

Linuxforall
September 3rd, 2010, 05:01 AM
So i have to reinstall the drivers from "Hardware Drivers" ? :-k

*(add the 'y' for no one to get confused)

If its already installed, then no need, they will be updated to latest.

ccc2007chaos
September 3rd, 2010, 05:06 AM
If its already installed, then no need, they will be updated to latest.

No, i downloaded from nvidia site the drivers and had them installed. That was what i asking, if i have to install from the "Hardware Drivers" to have the updates. Sorry for my bad english. I currently have the site's drivers.

keypox
September 3rd, 2010, 06:12 AM
x swat still not updated to newest. https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

RemmyNumber7
September 3rd, 2010, 06:28 AM
I have Ubuntu Linux 9.10 1 gig of ram and a 80 gig hard drive. MSI motherboard I have a Ge Force 6600 ddr 256mb AGP that I want to install. I am running now on a ATI AGP but it is too old to get it installed, besides no driver for it.

How do I Install that Ge Force 6600 ddr 256mb AGP card.????? I'm a little new at Linux too. I already downloaded the Driver from Nvidia it is on my desktop now. Can I install the driver first then shut down the computer Unplug it. Put in the Video Card. How dose this process of adding a video driver work????