PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem with CD device!!!

ventrical
September 2nd, 2010, 12:26 AM
Hi all,

I made a post about my CD not playing back music CDs with Rhythmbox Player. I unistalled and re-installed but to no avail.

I then just noticed in Ubuntu Disk Utility that is says the 'Connection' of my CD is SCSI when it is actually an IDE CD drive.

How can I fix my CD so that it gets detected as IDE drive and not SCSI??

Thanks in Advance.

Rasa1111
September 2nd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Swagman said~
The IDE/SCSI is a hack they ALL did years ago..Even Amigas. Here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9795929&postcount=26)
what it means? I don't know.. lol

ventrical
September 2nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
Swagman said~ Here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9795929&postcount=26)
what it means? I don't know.. lol

Thanks, thanks and thanks !!!

Swagmans' reply does not help.

What I am trying to say is that the Ubuntu 10.4 operating system detected my CD/DVD drive as a SCSI drive when in fact it is an IDE drive !!! and so this is why it will not work or play music CDs !!

I am just trying to figure out how to configure it to is proper standard.

Which is IDE.

Rasa1111
September 2nd, 2010, 09:40 AM
I do understand what you're saying.
Understood it since you first mentioned it.
Still dont know wth to do with it.
Try google? lol

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-446331.html

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1161217&seqNum=12

dunno man.

lidex
September 2nd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Hi all,

I made a post about my CD not playing back music CDs with Rhythmbox Player. I unistalled and re-installed but to no avail.

I then just noticed in Ubuntu Disk Utility that is says the 'Connection' of my CD is SCSI when it is actually an IDE CD drive.

How can I fix my CD so that it gets detected as IDE drive and not SCSI??

Thanks in Advance.

You sure that's the problem? Have you tried other software, ie goobox (cd player), exaile, etc? Does the drive mount data discs?

Rasa1111
September 2nd, 2010, 01:25 PM
maybe he needs ubuntu restricted extras?

ventrical
September 2nd, 2010, 06:15 PM
You sure that's the problem? Have you tried other software, ie goobox (cd player), exaile, etc? Does the drive mount data discs?

Thank you. Yes.. the drive mounts data disk (

I'll be back after I try those other programs.

Thanks Rasa111 also.

regards, ventrical

ventrical
September 2nd, 2010, 10:07 PM

lidex and rasa1111,

OK .. I'm back. I am writing this message from my seamless install of Fedora 13 on an Acer Aspire 3620 laptop.
I really appreciate all of your suggestionsof rmy problen with the CD. I did not get a chance to download any new programs because we had a thundestorm and I had (for some reason) left my ethernet cable in and on and I had to go out on errands and, the Dell Opti GX has given up the ghost so to speak(struck by lightning). It is only good for parts now. In a way this is a blessing because it was long due for the trash bin .. so i have a new tower that I will put other components in from the Dell and re-install Ubuntu10.4 and Fedora 13 as a side kick.

That also means my valid, genuine copy of Micosoft Windows XP Pro is kaput and I just do not want to go through the hassel of tryign to transfer that VLK (Volume Licence Key) to a new PC.

So far, Ubuntu had been more of an adventure than an experience :) lol

I did install Ubuntu 10.4 on my Sony Vaio and tha went really well and the CD Audio is working GREAT.

Conrtibutions:

It is my theory that there is a problem with the Dell BIOS and how in interacts with Ubuntu setup and this rmay explain the anomoly of the CD not working , however , I stand to be corrected on this matter.

But I would like to thank Rasa1111 for the RIGHT links as those were bang on .. and I tried them , but I could not get the grub loaded to save the command line that they suggested
however, it is most likley that I did somthing wrong and also thank lidex for good and right information because the CD in question WAS reading data CDs which is bonus and they wree 10times as fast as Wndows reading the thumbnails.

Great work. I'll let you know how the new build comes along.

Thanks for your help guys !!:)

regards, ventrical

ventrical
September 3rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
The Dell was re-built with a new ethernet card (thats all) and is working again and the CD player is working after installing Exaile Software package. I left a message in another forum under this topic.

Thanks a million.

Rasa1111
September 3rd, 2010, 05:46 AM
Hey bro,
No problem,
Glad at least something "helped" somewhat. lol

Happy to hear it all working good now! :D
That rocks!

Nothin like the feelin of fixing your own borked up system by yourself and having it go beautifully! lol

Im a newb to Linux and everything Ive done so far has pretty much gone that way..
Just makes me love this OS even more. lol

and to think... all those years.. i was "afraid" to use Linux! LOL :P

Good stuff man, thanks for the updates! <3 :)

ventrical
September 4th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Moderator:

This problem has been solved.

Thanks.

Rasa1111
September 4th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hey bro,
You see the "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread?

If you click that, you can "mark as solved". :)
Glad it's all good now! :D