PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] "Basic" but flexible graphics viewer - IrfanView / MS Office Picture Manager

psadza
September 1st, 2010, 08:40 PM
I am new to Ubuntu. Overall, I really like it. However, I am having trouble finding a replacement for Windows IrfanView and MS Office Picture Manager. The idea is to simply browse, delete, resize, and rotate photos. F-Spot does OK in the editing, but I cannot delete photos as I browse through them. Also, I cannot seem to be able to find info on a viewer that will allow me to resize a group of selected photos similar to what can be done in MS Office Picture Manager (part of MS Office 2003). GIMP is great for one photo at a time...unless I am missing some of its batch functionality.

Any advice is appreciated. I mainly need a flexible tool for quickly going through photo collections, deleting, resizing, rotating, and perhaps some meta data editing (for categorizing / tagging photos).

Zimmer
September 1st, 2010, 08:53 PM
Not familiar with MS Office Picture Manager but I have used GIMP batch processing to resize groups of photos (about 2 years ago, mind) .
I have used GIMP for over 7 years now but have recently turned to GThumb image viewer for the simple resizing / rotating /cropping tasks as it is less complicated and quicker than GIMP. Give Gthumb a try..
Not sure if it would batch process though (will investigate possibilities later ) :)

Zimmer
September 1st, 2010, 09:19 PM
Ok, so gThumb can operate a batch mode...for:
Rotate Images
Scale Images
Convert image format

Tried on 4 of jpegs... scaling and converting to .png . I wondered why the screen went dark each time it did a fresh image... the enormous file sizes of the png files produced were over 40meg each...
But it did work !!!

EDIT: Just a tip, try Geeqie, if only for the ability to do thumbnail maintenance - deleting all the orphaned thumbnails clogging your disk space... (it is a fork of GQview)

psadza
September 1st, 2010, 10:50 PM
gThumb looks like a good option for multiple image file resize. So, I will use Eye of Gnome image viewer (Ubuntu) for deleting (as it has a "filmstrip" catalog of other images in the folder in addition to the currently displayed image), and gThumb for multiple file resize (i.e. to send via email).

It is great to see that gThumb also has a multiple file rename feature. I would like to fins something like a WIN application called A.F.5 Rename files (http://www.fauland.com/af5.htm) for Ubuntu. It has been priceless in the past for organizing all sorts of files, including images. It has more power than gThumb, in that you can take a specific part of the original filename and reuse it in the new filename structure.

Thank you for the suggestion for gThumb. I will also explore GIMP's batch options.